Hardware [Q] Switch charges really slowly

Kawaii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
my nintendo switch has just started to acting up after i install sx os. i do think this is just mere coincidence and i think its hardware related.
i havent been using my switch prior to sx os release however i do make sure that the battery is not lower than 80% while in storage.
my switch is currently on 5.1.0 with no autocrm

i have only charge my switch with original charge in the past.
now it seems that it charge painfully slow. ive tried leaving it for 12 hours and it only goes to 73% and does so very slowly. leaving it another 12 hours brings it to 93%.
playing game with charger connected will deplete the battery instead of charging it.
initially i thought it may just be battery indicator problem. ive tried the linux battery fix payload with no improvement.
i can confirm my ac adapter is working properly with my second nintendo switch as its charging it well with normal as expected charging speed.
then i thought it may be the usb c port, but on inspection it looks ok with no evidence on bending
then i was thinking if its the IC controller thats dead but on reading it seems that if the IC controller is dead the console wont charge at all.

anyone have any idea whats going on here?

Undi

TRASH 悲しい天使
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No AutoRCM?
Just let the battery hit 0%, charge your console and give time to the Switch to hit 100%.
Now it will be corrected.
If you continue to have problems with your battery, give this a try: https://gbatemp.net/threads/fix-for-linux-battery-issue.508715/
(Yeah I know it's for the "Linux problem", but it say "This is effectively the same fix as unplugging the battery", can't be bad for your case.)

Kawaii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
No AutoRCM?
Just let the battery hit 0%, charge your console and give time to the Switch to hit 100%.
Now it will be corrected.
If you continue to have problems with your battery, give this a try: https://gbatemp.net/threads/fix-for-linux-battery-issue.508715/
(Yeah I know it's for the "Linux problem", but it say "This is effectively the same fix as unplugging the battery", can't be bad for your case.)

tried both suggestion yesterday. dosent work

Undi

TRASH 悲しい天使
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You never used unofficial charger, but have you used unofficial accessories who connect on the USB-C port of your Switch?
And last question, do the problem have appeared on the last version of SX OS (1.2)? If not, it can be a problem from older version of SX OS (but never been reported, try to update anyway and see the result).

Idk what to suggest after that :/
Good luck!

roden

Trophies
XP
Country
Strange, i use my s8 charger to charge my switch sometimes, and im using sxos 1.2, no issues.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Charging in the dock or just with the AC plugged in directly? Maybe try the other way around. Dunno how it would make a difference, but try and see. You could even use a USB to USB c cable (such as comes with a pro controller) and try charging from a PC or other device with usb ports. Just something else to try. Good luck

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I deleted my comment due to being distracted by other things and realized everything I had said was already answered....don't multi-task and try to post on forums LOL

Last edited by Dvdxploitr,

Kawaii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yup tried everything suggested. I guess my switch is just fried in some way. Sucks thay it decides to happen just after 2 days that i bought the sx os and the licence cant be transferred. I guess ill wait for a free cfw option.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes the chips doesnt exactly get damaged in the same way... Who knows if the IC chip is actually faulty and its triggering a low charge, but its just not completely killed...

You can also try opening the console's back cover, disconnect the battery, press power for like 10 seconds, re-attach battery and try doing a full cycle to see if it charges normally, charge in the original Nintendo FW (And yes, I know you are having a different problem than battery de-sync, but who knows if this would fix it).

Maybe after charging a bit you could let the console open, maybe you could touch the IC chip to see if its hot out of the normal temps (though I don't exactly know whats the normal temp 4 that chip, but you sure can search or at least see its max designed operating temp).

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fixed mine by killing it with Zelda and making sure it shows the dead battery icon when trying to turn it on then charge

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over