Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mixinluv2u said:
how do i see the spell resistance of the monster?

also, do i still get more experience during battle if i collect purple gems? or is that just another color of mana now?

So far, it seems purple gems count as mana toward spells. I believe they've streamlined the experience to be more like a typical RPG. Fine with me, as you would get so little from matching gems in CotW.

deathking

Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
game is way to slow compared to the first one
also the computer was making some idiot moves which made me laugh like skipping a 5 skull combo for a 3 green combo , in cotw the computer would 99% go for the skull combo unless it knew that it could do some other move that would cause more damage.
ive got 2 games going as a assassin and barbarian and having no trouble at all with the game.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the AI in this one the complete opposite now? I never played PQ on nds, but on the PC & xbla it always seemed to be omniscient. It'd know the next 8 "lines" to drop and some how pull 500 damage combos out of it's ass.

I take it this one has actual AI instead of the god code cheat?

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deathking said:
also the computer was making some idiot moves which made me laugh like skipping a 5 skull combo for a 3 green combo , in cotw the computer would 99% go for the skull combo unless it knew that it could do some other move that would cause more damage.
ive got 2 games going as a assassin and barbarian and having no trouble at all with the game.

Yeah, that's shit's kinda hard to ignore, ain't it?
rolleyes.gif
I would guess it's a byproduct of certain critics whining that CotW was "cheap." I would roll my eyes plenty playing CotW, but those long chains were also a huge part of what made the game so damned addictive. Of course, I'm not far into PQ2 at all, so perhaps they actually managed to pace the A.I. somehow.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
injected11 said:
Thought people interested in the DS game might be interested in this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/23700/

It's called Puzzle Kingdom, it's from the creators of Puzzle Quest, and it's on sale for 95% off (for reals). Normal price $20, sale price $1. Check it.

Thanks for the heads-up on that! Played the Wii version, and though it was a little disappointing, for a buck...! I'll take it.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
deathking said:
Do you realize the game is default in medium difficulty? There's a hard difficulty that you can change to in the options of the main screen.

I have to say, I am utterly addicted. I'm really really enjoying this as much if not more than the original.

Boozie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is all the loading in comparison to Galactrix?

[e] How long do you think I have for the Puzzle Kingdom sale? I'm at work
frown.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boozie said:

frown.gif

Loading isn't an issue in PQ2. The game performs on par with CotW, thankfully.

wanderone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boozie said:

frown.gif

that's what i'd like to know....ditched playing galactrix because of all the slow slow loading and saving screens.

EDIT: oh..didn't see the post re: the fast loads...but about the saves??

haflore

aeternaliter fluxa
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wanderone said:
Boozie said:

frown.gif

that's what i'd like to know....ditched playing galactrix because of all the slow slow loading and saving screens.

EDIT: oh..didn't see the post re: the fast loads...but about the saves??
The saves are also quick, taking about 2 seconds each. It saves very frequently, but it doesn't stop you from moving and stuff while it's saving so it's never a bother.
smile.gif

dysan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
just played it today for a while and I gotta say...I think the 1st was a bit better...I liked the anime-comic style of the 1st more,the realistic look of the 2nd still works but comic style was better imo.

2nd thing I noticed was that the sound was too low even though I maxed out the ds' slider.
what's up with that?the 1st one's music and sound effects could be heard from miles away!

still,it looks like the puzzle quest we know and love
gbasp.gif

mk.2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone know how the defense system works?
It seem that I still get the same damages, no matter how many points I put into defense.
And what is the green minus number that occasionally pop up after dealing damages? I notice that it sometime decreases damage taken, sometime does nothing.

Anne Noise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dwight said:
Oh my god, this exactly describes how I played the game. Every night for about 3 months after it came out, I would play it whenever I took a shit, and then like an hour and a half before I went to bed. I'm really hoping that I have as much fun with PQ2.

Glad to see I'm not the only person who can't stand the boredom of taking a dump. The terlet is my second most effecting reading and gaming spot, behind my amazing, amazing bed.

Since I feel like it:

+ The five-magic system.
+ The weapon-tile system.
- Equipment menus. At least it continues the Puzzle Quest concept of infuriatingly clunky gameplay for everything other than Bejeweled++(2).
+ Monster AI, and the unique monster system. (Goblins are usually Goblins, a generic build, and sometimes you run into a named Goblin with different skills and AI; not a boss monster, or even a sub-boss, it seems, just some variety spice.)
+ The AI is good, but...
- ...starting at about level 6, the computer will stop making stupid moves at all, and will almost always hint you with the "right" options (which I had to turn off since it was kind of ruining the game for me) and will make it's own moves "correctly." But... (...!)
+ The game isn't nearly as unforgiving as the original. I don't know what difficulty I played PQ1 on. Through no fault of my own, I lost more than one battle because the opponent went first, and was like, "Ha, idiot," then clears the board, gaining mana and rounds, then slaughter me before I had a chance to... play. Now a minor misstep has similarly minor consequences - usually - and thus isn't as unforgivingly brutal. (I'm playing on Hard, for the record.)
- I'm still fighting Goblins and Goblin Witches and Goblin Pied Pipers and shit, and I'm in the second dungeon. Isn't that when new, thematically appropriate monsters should appear?
- The map is shitty in the same way it is in the original, in a new implementation. I still fucking hate watching my dude walk across so many screens. Yes, it's a double standard that I don't feel this way about, oh, every other RPG ever. PQ2 is still just the same "walk between minigames" of PQ1. It's much, much more mindless than it needs to be.
+ Skippable cutscenes!
- I don't know if it's because my DSi XL's microSD has been full forever, but in complicated situations in-game it has to stop for a while to load the "GET ANOTHER TURN" animation, and then to show me the hint (before I turned them off), even moreso when the CPU needs to make a decision.

(Fucking insomnia.)

mk.2 said:
Does anyone know how the defense system works?
It seem that I still get the same damages, no matter how many points I put into defense.
And what is the green minus number that occasionally pop up after dealing damages? I notice that it sometime decreases damage taken, sometime does nothing.

I thought it reduced one point for every 10 (armor points + defense points). But that's wrong.

Note that there are skills - awesome skills like the Assassin's Stealth - that directs damage to mana pools instead of to health.

The numbers that pop up - I assume you mean the green ones under the red damage numbers) is the number of damage that your armor and effects reduced. 10 (-7) means you took three damage from that source.

GeekyGuy said:
Fine with me, as you would get so little from matching gems in CotW.

Agreed. I just had equipment and innate skills to begin with enough mana to just throw skills at everything, always. I only interacted with the board when I could nuke stuff to keep the opponent from getting mana, haha.

QUOTE(dysan @ Jun 25 2010, 08:10 PM)
just played it today for a while and I gotta say...I think the 1st was a bit better...I liked the anime-comic style of the 1st more,the realistic look of the 2nd still works but comic style was better imo.

They're both equally shitty for different - but equal - reasons. Maybe "shitty" is too harsh, since I just kind of ignore everything but the actual gameplay. "Bland" is better. Ooooh, Goblins. In a fantasy setting. Shock me, shock me, shock me with that deviant behaviour.

mk.2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Anne Noise said:
The numbers that pop up - I assume you mean the green ones under the red damage numbers) is the number of damage that your armor and effects reduced. 10 (-7) means you took three damage from that source.
Reduced damage occurs very rarely for me where as monsters almost always get 50% reduction whenever I hit them.
Do you know what is the factor that determine when will armor take effect?

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Everyone keeps muttering about the AI being stupid at early levels.

The game has difficulty settings people!

It is on Medium by default. It has a Hard mode which is much better.

Gah.

Ignoring the slightly cliched setting, I'm enjoying pretty much everything about the game. I love the battles as well as the mini games and the adjustments to the system feel great to me.

Anne Noise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mk.2 said:
Anne Noise said:
Reduced damage occurs very rarely for me where as monsters almost always get 50% reduction whenever I hit them.
Do you know what is the factor that determine when will armor take effect?

Yeah, I meant to say that. I don't. Some monsters seem to have an innate reduction to some weapons, or attacks, or something? That's as far as I've gotten with a pattern, haha. The 50% reduction effect is a pain in the ass, though. I usually end up spamming 50 or 60 Action tiles worth of sword at everything at the point, and it dies from brute force and a hint of luck.

kuroiXiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
mixinluv2u said:
um... is the progress you made while playing mini-game supposed to save and carry over to quest mode? like the exp and gold that you got, because mine does not carry over.

also in the "treasure grab" mini-game it said that i am supposed to be able to earn items but i never get anything.

is there additional AP that's preventing this? i am playing the venom/cracked/intro-ed version.

I'm getting this too, along with quick battle gold and experience not carrying over. I'm on R4 Wood. Anybody else with this problem?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended