PUBG dev takes Epic Games to court over Fortnite

IMG_8195.JPG

In September of 2017, Playerunknown Battlegrounds developer PUBG Corp, a subsidiary of Korean game company Bluehole, claimed that they were considering taking Fortnite dev Epic Games to court. PUBG Corp claims that Fortnite's Battle Royale mode copied too much from PUBG's own mode, ranging from the gameplay to the UI. They also state that PUBG Corp had been talking to Epic Games throughout PUBG's development, as it uses Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4, and that the company had taken their idea, and added it onto their already existing Fortnite game. Recently, a copyright claim was supposedly filed in Korea by Bluehole, and will go to the courts in Seoul.

This isn't the first time we've seen Bluehole go to court, either. In the Northern California district courts, PUBG Corp took NetEase to court over copyright concerns with a 155-page document describing how NetEase's mobile titles Rules of Survival and Knives Out battle royale games stole the concept from Playerunknown Battlegrounds. Bluehole also tried to claim they had the sole ability to use frying pans as weapons in video games. Fortnite is set to officially become available in Korea soon (published by NeoWiz) but this lawsuit might delay things.

The last time Epic Games was sued, it was by Silicon Knights, for the game Too Human; as Epic allegedly breaching their contract. The suit was dismissed, and Epic counter-sued Silicon Knights, forcing the company to permanently recall their game from sale and pay 4.45 million to Epic Games.

:arrow: Source

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
It's your opinion and that's totally fine. The problem here and that you still cant get is that the reasons you described are... not to sound rude but, kind of childish.

You literally said you hate on it because kids arround you talk about it all day... it would be like if i say i hate the switch because everybody talks about it, which i dont. See? That's literally hating because something is just popular.

Want to give a constructive criticism? Or more objetive reasons on why you hate it? Maybe the gameplay is too fast paced for you? Dont like getting killed early in the game? You cant seem to improve at all? Building is too difficult?

See? Reasons like these ones are the ones you should give to someone when you hate on something, not the "butt kedz telkz bout it allz dayz and it getz meh crazy"
How about because it gets annoying?

I can understand where this individual is coming from. I actually recall Halo somehow being super popular during my high school days. I had a Gamecube, and I had friends say they could loan me their Xbox so I could play Halo with them. I just didn't want to play Halo, I was content with the games I had. It started really getting annoying when my friends constantly bugged me to play it, and when the halls were filled with many a phrase of "boom, headshot" and "Cortana aww yeah" and some other comments I think my brain blocked. It was getting on the nerves of other students I could tell with their looks.

This person can be content with not playing or liking the game, it doesn't affect any one else. It's definitely a problem when the majority of every one else is affecting this person due to their opinion.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
FINALLY, someone tried to counter me with something valid. Yeah, I hate games where you spawn and then instantly die. And I also hate games with lots of microtransactions, these games seem pretty full of those. And yes, the gameplay seems a bit fast-paced, I’m not one to enjoy online multiplayer (unless maybe Mario Kart) games anyway. And to go back on the “because kids talk about it all the time” thing... that’s just a small reason. I have other valid reasons too.
I would maintain that plenty of people, myself included, made "valid" replies but oh well.

Should you have valid reasons then best to start with those valid reasons, else we end up with a detour like we saw.

Equally I thought one of the main perks of the gameplay style was that if you did get blasted early on you are not sitting on your hands waiting for it to play out, and instead can quit and join a new one. I suppose it technically does not change the die instantly thing but it changes it from serious gameplay design issue (trying to keep all players entertained throughout a game, not just the leaders, is a thing many a game designer has wrestled with over the years) to minor annoyance.

Microtransactions are a game specific thing, earlier you wanted all the games like it to go.

Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Jonna @FAST6191 @Joom and @DeslotlCL @ anyone else involved
I’ll just make this easy to summarize:
I don’t like battle royale games, they’re just not my thing. I don’t like online multiplayer, there are few shooters I like, I don’t like the possibility of being killed by someone on the other side of the map as soon as you spawn, I don’t usually like microtransactions (sometimes I’ll make an exception, such as really good dlc or something). Those are the main reasons. The whole “kids talking about it always” just adds fuel to the fire. I’m asked if I play, I say no, and they say “wow you suck”. This has happened like a billion times and I don’t exactly enjoy it. Also @Jonna I agree with what you said, this is literally all the time with people talking “hy did u gt fertnert sezin forr yt?” and personally I get annoyed with it. @FAST6191 I just didn’t really see very many valid points from anyone else. @DeslotlCL had lots of em. Anyhoo, I’m tired of talking about this, so I think I’ll just leave it at that.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Jonna @FAST6191 @Joom and @DeslotlCL @ anyone else involved
I’ll just make this easy to summarize:
I don’t like battle royale games, they’re just not my thing. I don’t like online multiplayer, there are few shooters I like, I don’t like the possibility of being killed by someone on the other side of the map as soon as you spawn, I don’t usually like microtransactions (sometimes I’ll make an exception, such as really good dlc or something). Those are the main reasons. The whole “kids talking about it always” just adds fuel to the fire. I’m asked if I play, I say no, and they say “wow you suck”. This has happened like a billion times and I don’t exactly enjoy it. Also @Jonna I agree with what you said, this is literally all the time with people talking “hy did u gt fertnert sezin forr yt?” and personally I get annoyed with it. @FAST6191 I just didn’t really see very many valid points from anyone else. @DeslotlCL had lots of em. Anyhoo, I’m tired of talking about this, so I think I’ll just leave it at that.
You actually gave valid reasons after replying to me, so i appreciate that. You would have saved yourself from a lot of replies if you would have gave those in the first place.

Anyway, it is totally fine if you dont like the genre, but i would recommend you, if people annoy you due to a certain game, do not blame the game, it isnt the game's fault... in this case, blame the people, because THEY are the ones annoying you.
How about because it gets annoying?

I can understand where this individual is coming from. I actually recall Halo somehow being super popular during my high school days. I had a Gamecube, and I had friends say they could loan me their Xbox so I could play Halo with them. I just didn't want to play Halo, I was content with the games I had. It started really getting annoying when my friends constantly bugged me to play it, and when the halls were filled with many a phrase of "boom, headshot" and "Cortana aww yeah" and some other comments I think my brain blocked. It was getting on the nerves of other students I could tell with their looks.

This person can be content with not playing or liking the game, it doesn't affect any one else. It's definitely a problem when the majority of every one else is affecting this person due to their opinion.
Not a valid reason. As i said to supergamer, you should blame the people, not the game.

Reactions: Jonna

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don’t know if this has already been mentioned, but the current development of the game borrows similar ideas from Hunger Games. Its interesting seeing that because similar to how Epic Games made Fortnite it borrowed some inspiration from other ideas.

It almost seems completely obsolete to take the developers to court because the development of Fortnite could have been handled 1000 different ways similar to when Overwatch came out and a similar game came out near the same time

Last edited by petethepug,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly I don't care about both those games but I'm dying to see how this will all play out.
Really?
If it had the potential for an interesting precedent or serious changes needed for a game then maybe. As it stands then either business as usual will be confirmed (you can't protect a gameplay style) or the opposite which nobody wants, probably not even the PUBG mob.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1