PUBG Corp. backs out of lawsuit against Epic Games and Fortnite

IMG_8195.JPG

If you thought you'd only have a mere single Fortnite lawsuit scandal on the front page today, you were wrong. PUBG Corp and Bluehole, who took Epic Games to court in May over similarities between PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds and Fortnite, have decided to pull out of the lawsuit and cancel their case. The suit has been officially withdrawn in the South Korean courts, and won't be proceeding. Neither company has provided a statement about if the case had been settled out of court, or why PUBG Corp decided to back out only just now. It could however be attributed to the fact that Epic is the company that provides the engine for PUBG, or that Tencent, a Chinese company, has partial ownership in both subsidiaries.

:arrow: Source

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Honestly I feel like the lawsuit was just all smoke and mirrors. They were most likely hoping that the threat of legal action would have scared Epic into pulling their game. But when Epic didn't flinch, they realized that the lawsuit was going just end horribly for them and they had to back out.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
And thus the dramatic court case of "Does PUBG really own video game frying pans?!!?!" will never see the light of day :(
i really dont understand that frying pan thing, left 4 dead 2 had a frying pan as a signature weapon and even tf2 had this weapon as a reference..
and i do believe there was another game before with the frying pan as a signature weapon? not to mention the cartoons overused comedian prop

DodgyJudge

A man of weird taste it seems!
Trophies
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Honestly I feel like the lawsuit was just all smoke and mirrors. They were most likely hoping that the threat of legal action would have scared Epic into pulling their game. But when Epic didn't flinch, they realized that the lawsuit was going just end horribly for them and they had to back out.
Well i think it is a money deal that have made them back out of it . Why ? Simply because money can buy anything point.

Apathetic_Discord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty sure I remember a certain wife of a certain Monk of a certain well known JRPG series going to town on her husband-monk with a frying pan for something he did wrong...which you later got as a usable weapon. ;)

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lmao wtf is going with PUBG Corp.
The lead programmer/designer is a major league asshat who thinks that he invented the battle royale genre, and that nobody else is allowed to have any success there if he's not privy to it as well.

seriously, the dude's dev blogs read like the kind of pissant whining that you'd only hear from OG Crytek. He's entitled as hell and just can't stand the notion that anybody else was able to do his genre better than him.

Apathetic_Discord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The lead programmer/designer is a major league asshat who thinks that he invented the battle royale genre, and that nobody else is allowed to have any success there if he's not privy to it as well.

seriously, the dude's dev blogs read like the kind of pissant whining that you'd only hear from OG Crytek. He's entitled as hell and just can't stand the notion that anybody else was able to do his genre better than him.

Which in itself is funny because he already cited the OG Battle Royale Manga/Live-action as his inspiration, and considering the premise and name of the game...sounds like a little more then just "inspiration". :wtf:

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is they settled for a small chunk of dough.

Of course they don't want to encourage anyone to sue them so they aren't gonna reveal the settlement figure.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mmm:glare: looks chinese rulez everything now.
It's because their dictatorial government can actually get things done.

Like Erdogan says. Democracy is a train. You get off when you reach your stop.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's because their dictatorial government can actually get things done.

Like Erdogan says. Democracy is a train. You get off when you reach your stop.
nope, pal u didn't get the point, Tencent which is a GIANT holding/investment company and hold a good amount of shares of both company, actually contributed the end of this ridiculous dispute.
And i 'm pretty sure Tencent is able to buy off both of them...

and Democracy is just a lie created by western and tried to apply to eastern but failed miserably: the only party which rulez china is one and only Communist party and the President has life time charge and no one dare to talk shit about him... now take a look to Erdogan... when he tried to visit Netherlands.... it was VERY funny indeed.

Last edited by leon315,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)