Epic Games is compensating Fortnite and Rocket League players that bought random loot boxes

maxresdefault.jpg

Back in the earlier days of Fortnite, the game made its money off of loot boxes that had random items within. As the concept of loot boxes began to draw ire, from both players and governments worldwide, Epic Games removed the feature and replaced it with a rotating storefront. Similarly, when Rocket League was still owned by Psyonix, it too used the loot box formula in order to earn extra money from gamers gambling on item drops. Rocket League also eventually phased that feature out, and just like Fortnite, it now operates on a rotating storefront with set items available for purchase each day.

Players of either game that spent real money on crate or llama keys during that time will be given compensation, now, as Epic Games is offering 1,000 V-Bucks/Rocket League Credits to those "affected". The compensation is part of a preliminary class-action lawsuit in the United States regarding Epic Games and loot boxes, though the company is still giving the 1,000 credits to anyone who made those select purchases regardless of location, worldwide. The 1,000 V-Bucks/Credits will be added to players' accounts within the next few days.

Whether you were a fan of random item Loot Llamas or not, with preliminary approval for a class action settlement, we’re awarding 1,000 V-Bucks to anyone that purchased a random Loot Llama. While this settlement was for U.S. players only, we have decided to make this benefit available to players globally. There’s no action needed on your part, and you should receive your V-Bucks within the next few days.

:arrow: Source

1c4rus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hmm, users are the ones whos made lootboxes sustainable monetisation by supporting the tumor business model with their free will and money but blame the studios when they've got cancer, is one way to look at it.

Though, you can still hate Epic for whatever reason but you should save most of the hate for Valve since they were the one who made lootboxes, gambling in games this popular and yet they have never ever compensated users nor stop using lootboxes in their games. Not too long ago people were even able to money laundering via CS:GO but who really cares.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hmm, users are the ones whos made lootboxes sustainable monetisation by supporting the tumor business model with their free will and money but blame the studios when they've got cancer, is one way to look at it.

Though, you can still hate Epic for whatever reason but you should save most of the hate for Valve since they were the one who made lootboxes, gambling in games this popular and yet they have never ever compensated users nor stop using lootboxes in their games. Not too long ago people were even able to money laundering via CS:GO but who really cares.
But isn't Gabe a new age Jesus? People eat his bullshit in any way, shape or form. And then complain about GOG, EPIC, BigFishGames DRM. And EA, Ubisoft's practices.

Gamers are a bit retarded.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i purchased 1 item in Rocket League, the Delorean. I don't understand buying more than what you want in the game. I probably have like 1000 items sitting in my account too, you can't use custom stuff on DLC cars lol.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
they shouldn't fucking be in the game in the first place!Yeah lets get your kids addicted to gambling at a young age is pathetic because that's the only ones who play both them games: KIDS :glare:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't entirely sure what to expect before entering this thread, but if I had to guess, it would have been this.

So they aren't choosing to compensate, they're being forced too.

They also aren't really compensating at all.

This amounts to, "you took out a lawsuit, but we technically still won, we have retained all cash"

Vbucks cost them nothing, you could even argue it's a kind of promotion, which could earn them more in the long run. Not to mention the inevitable positive publicity this is likely to be spun into.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

They should release El Chapo and lock up the drug addicts instead?

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can get 1,000 V-Bucks for around 9 dollars... That's pretty weak, considering a single loot box back when they were doing that was around $10. At least it's something, I guess.
No, a single lootbox was 50 cents (50 vbucks), the 1000 ones where for super people loot llamas and the legendary troll stash llama only.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How unfortunate that Unreal Tournament 4 and Jazz Jackrabbit 3 were never officially finished circa Anno Domini of years 1999/2000-2017/2018. According to IGN CCP banned Plague Inc in China. I guess Tencent is also behind of this. Not exactly Epic Games and People Can Fly/Epic Games of Poland.

Last edited by Luke94,

1c4rus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
They should release El Chapo and lock up the drug addicts instead?
No, it's just that I do not have sympathy for drug addicts. So, same here with people shittin about Epic while they know better that Valve is more 'evil' in this regard yet they didn't even compensated anything or step backward with lootboxes. Simply put, hypocracy of gamers as always.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No, it's just that I do not have sympathy for drug addicts. So, same here with people shittin about Epic while they know better that Valve is more 'evil' in this regard yet they didn't even compensated anything or step backward with lootboxes. Simply put, hypocracy of gamers as always.
I heard something about Chinese Communist Party Steam Censorship. Will it affect Epic Games Store too?

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh, really? I thought they were referring to the ones in Save the World specifically. Well, my bad.
Yes thoses are the one in save the world, there was different kind of llamas, the basic ones where 50 vbucks, there was also super expansives ones at 1000 and 1500 vbucks, but the basic ones always have been 50 vbucks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup