1. 8,221

Front-page
    IMG_8195.JPG

In September of 2017, Playerunknown Battlegrounds developer PUBG Corp, a subsidiary of Korean game company Bluehole, claimed that they were considering taking Fortnite dev Epic Games to court. PUBG Corp claims that Fortnite's Battle Royale mode copied too much from PUBG's own mode, ranging from the gameplay to the UI. They also state that PUBG Corp had been talking to Epic Games throughout PUBG's development, as it uses Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4, and that the company had taken their idea, and added it onto their already existing Fortnite game. Recently, a copyright claim was supposedly filed in Korea by Bluehole, and will go to the courts in Seoul.

This isn't the first time we've seen Bluehole go to court, either. In the Northern California district courts, PUBG Corp took NetEase to court over copyright concerns with a 155-page document describing how NetEase's mobile titles Rules of Survival and Knives Out battle royale games stole the concept from Playerunknown Battlegrounds. Bluehole also tried to claim they had the sole ability to use frying pans as weapons in video games. Fortnite is set to officially become available in Korea soon (published by NeoWiz) but this lawsuit might delay things.

The last time Epic Games was sued, it was by Silicon Knights, for the game Too Human; as Epic allegedly breaching their contract. The suit was dismissed, and Epic counter-sued Silicon Knights, forcing the company to permanently recall their game from sale and pay 4.45 million to Epic Games.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (130 replies)

3. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N protagonist of another story

Antarctica
    Given how Fortnite's popularity totally eclipsed PUBG's, even though PUBG came first, this was to be expected.

To be fair, though, Fortnite literally ripped a lot of design cues from PUBG. I hear there's a story behind that.

PICTOCHAT, Subtle Demise, Ty_ and 5 others like this.
  4. OctolingRift

OctolingRift GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I honestly hope they win, fortnite blatantly copied PUBG. Not fair that Epic got all the money

Xen0, sks316, JustAKirby and 2 others like this.
  5. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps.
    Senior Editor

United States
    The fact PUBG tried to sue a game for use of a frying pan shoes that they're a little crazy and tend to over-reach with their ccopyright claims, even if there's similar design choices between it and Fortnite.

6. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Co's VGM Addict

Germany
    Yeah but the battle royale concept wasnt pubg's idea in the first place

7. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's scalie trash

United States
    How are they even supposed to win the court when fortnite plays nothing like pugb? In that caze h1z1 developer should take pugb corp to court... or even better, minecraft devs should take everybody to court since everybody is copying minecraft hunger games.

What a load of bullshit. Bluehole is losing active players and potential costumers, you can feel how sacred they are... just like other companies do to nintendo with their copyright claims.

Last edited by DeslotlCL, May 29, 2018
  8. HaloEliteLegend

United States
    Court precedent already shows that you can't own game mechanics. Sucks to suck, Bluehole, but another game can copy your game 100% to the letter, and as long as its all original assets, there is no legal case to be had.

Last edited by HaloEliteLegend, May 29, 2018
  9. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The whole pubg vs fortnite thing kind of has that halo vs cod vibe from last generation.Fortnite has that cancerous community like cod has too.

Why are shooters the most cancerous games on earth?

Last edited by Ominous66521, May 29, 2018
    Velix, Mylink5 and CallmeBerto like this.
  10. mar789

mar789 Master Italian

Canada
    Acting like they created battle royal games lol

11. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Fan

This situation is a little different than usual though because PUBG uses epic's game engine. It's possible other technicalities regarding specific contract terms, code or assets they had access too could be part of it. However if that is the case or not, we're never likely to find out.

Last edited by spectral, May 29, 2018
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  12. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker News Police
    Banned

Argentina
    I hope Epic Games loses. I played both and it is too obvious that too much was copied.

13. DeslotlCL

United States
    This is why we need a dislike button.

14. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    This is true.

15. HaloEliteLegend

United States
    Like I said, there's no case if Fortnite and PUBG don't share assets, and I'm sure any shared Unreal Engine 4 code is covered in Epic's licensing contract. If there's anything shared we don't know about, that's a different case and I suppose we'll find out in court.

And what laws were broken? Dislike a game for being a clone, I'm not defending Fortnite, but this case has no place in a court of law. You can't own game mechanics.

16. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Fan

No you're not sure its covered by the contract, you're guessing. You have no idea what is in that contract, no one here does. You don't like what they're doing and just assuming they're in the wrong. Taking a big company like Epic to court isn't cheap, they're unlikely to have done so if they didn't believe they had some legal standing.

17. DrGreed

DrGreed Luigi from Luigi's Mansion

United States
    William Higinbotham should also sue.

18. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker News Police
    Banned

Argentina
    You should probably ask that a lawyer if you’re interested in specifics. My opinion is if someone blatantly copies someone else, then he should be appropriately punished.

19. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Grasping at straws here, is this a honest feeling of copyright infringement or just being greedy and jealous? People just can't get along.

20. DeslotlCL

United States
    But explain us, how does fortnite copies pugb in terms of gameplay and UI?

21. HaloEliteLegend

United States
    Right, I made an educated guess that Unreal Engine 4 code (the engine itself) is protected under license, because it'd be pretty weird for a company to use Epic's Unreal Engine 4 and then sue Epic for using Unreal Engine 4. I've never played PUBG and am not really a fan of Fortnite, I don't have a pony in this race. Clearly Bluehole thinks that their game mechanics should be protected from copycats, and I'm trying to say that no one can own game mechanics as per previous court precedent, and therefore Bluehole has no case on those grounds. I fully expect Bluehole to challenge that precedent, and believe that's the intention behind the lawsuit.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Fortnite, takes, Games