Hacking PSP Retro Emulators

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know which ones I want yet but wanted to download ones that are mostly 100% speed and music.

I guess my main concerns are
Game Boy Advance
Super CD Rom Rom (TG16SCD)

I'm getting mixed opinion about GBA speed and TG16...well as expected, can't really find much info on SCD games cause most non Japanese don't know about that system.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You might get mixed answers because for a long time people on later PSP models and firmwares were stuck with homebrew loaders that could only load older (slower) versions of emulators.

Modern hacks can load the fast versions, and every GBA game I've played runs full speed (and can even use fast forward in most cases). The one case I've heard it's not full speed is Golden Sun's battles.

As for TG16, I've no clue.

herbal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Could it be that the emulator wiki is missing FBA2PSP? It lets you play a lot of these great CAVE shmups and many other arcade games, even CPS III (Street Fighter III). Unfortunately CPS III games seem to run extremely slow.

The version that can be found at sourceforge is outdated as far as I know but I have heard there is a much newer release somewhere.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Given CPSPSP, CPS2PSP, and MVSPSP are virtually perfect, and FBA4PSP was all but abandoned before it was really all that functional i'd suggest you stick will the single system emulators.

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
xist said:
Given CPSPSP, CPS2PSP, and MVSPSP are virtually perfect, and FBA4PSP was all but abandoned before it was really all that functional i'd suggest you stick will the single system emulators.
i thought as much xD
true those 3 are really impressive arcade emulators
my PSP don't stop to amaze me hardware wise and i just got it few month ago

herbal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have just tested FBA4PSP and I must say it is absolutely impressive.

fba4psp-20110319 is for cave games only but it runs even Ketsui, DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou and many more!

The older FBA4PSP package can be used for PGM, CPS 3 (very slow but nevertheless its nice to see Street Fighter III runnung on PSP) and some other arcade games - there is a separate emulator for each set (PGM, CPS3 etc.) available.

Kadin

Ain't no rest for the wicked...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone with experience with PSPMame? I downloaded the linked version and tried to find the game I used to play a ton of - Top Gunner - from Konami. I installed the Konami folder into /PSP/GAME/ and then added the topgunr.zip rom to both /PSP/GAME/ROMS as well as /ROMS in the root. Neither worked. I did notice it said topgunr and Top Gunner (US) when I attempted to load the game. No clue what the latter is that it's referring to. I tried renaming a different file I found to this but no luck. What exactly is it looking for?

In my experience in the past with MAME, you had to sometimes have other .zip files that had other related files so I think I'm missing something. Anyone care to offer some advice on what to do? Thanks!

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Since there is two GBA emulators and I can't remember which one I used ages ago, which one is 'better'?

gpSP-J or gbSP Kai?
I think last time I downloaded an emulator I went for Kai but still not sure.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
Since there is two GBA emulators and I can't remember which one I used ages ago, which one is 'better'?

gpSP-J or gbSP Kai?
I think last time I downloaded an emulator I went for Kai but still not sure.
J is faster, but has less features (no cheat support for one) and can run games with some special effects slower (like Wario Land 4 when you hit the frog at the end of a level).

Kai is slower, but it's still fullspeed normally (you only notice the difference when fastforwarding), it's the one I'm using for now, though I've heard J might be better for Golden Sun's hectic battle graphics.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I downloaded -J but that has no full screen option (hate the black bars >:)
So I got Kai instead, not noticing any problems with it so far.

Thanks anyway guys.

retKHAAAN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
I downloaded -J but that has no full screen option (hate the black bars >:)
So I got Kai instead, not noticing any problems with it so far.

Thanks anyway guys.

though it's been a while...I could swear there was an option in -J for fullscreen...

though I hate stretched pixels and personally prefer the "black bars"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night