OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
gomgoblog.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Spain
Well, so I have a PSone (SCPH-102) and I know that is pretty common to these drives to stop spinning, but in my case it's completely the opposite. The console works completely fine, no Video/Sound or Input errors, but the disk drive spins too fast and never stops.

Also, the lens motos even though is working (as I tryed it with a small test circuit I made) won't move, so lens won't move either

I've searched all along the internet and couldn't find anyone with the same problem except for this guy, but he doesn't get audio (while I do) and it's the classic model of the PSX:

Does someone know what can be causing this and how could I fix it? I have soldering equipment, polimeter and skills, so I'm open to every solution

Thanks people of GBATemp!

(I'll try to add more photos when I come back)

gomgo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
gomgoblog.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Spain
Happened to me with more than one PS1 that I've been trying to fix, and no idea yet...
I've found the original hardware chemas and i guess it't a problem with the IC722 since it's the component that manages the lens behaviour both for spinning the CD and lens and adjusting the lens focus point.

I'll investigate deeper in the problem with my multimeter and following those schemas and i'll write here every thing i can discover.

1725600652947.png
1725600674067.png

Following the schemas that's the purpose of the chip and it's actually cheap (around 5€)
1725600840710.png

If i find the problem and i'm able to fix it i'll try to make a detailed guide to everyone who had this issue since i couldn't find anything on the Internet. I'm kinda intrigated about this problem tbh

Reactions: Tak-MK

Tak-MK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I've found the original hardware chemas and i guess it't a problem with the IC722 since it's the component that manages the lens behaviour both for spinning the CD and lens and adjusting the lens focus point.

I'll investigate deeper in the problem with my multimeter and following those schemas and i'll write here every thing i can discover.

View attachment 456455View attachment 456456

Following the schemas that's the purpose of the chip and it's actually cheap (around 5€)
View attachment 456459

If i find the problem and i'm able to fix it i'll try to make a detailed guide to everyone who had this issue since i couldn't find anything on the Internet. I'm kinda intrigated about this problem tbh
Didn't know that IC could die that "easily", at least I've never had to replace it, but maybe this could be the first time :D Quote me when you find something!

Reactions: gomgo

gomgo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
gomgoblog.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Spain
Didn't know that IC could die that "easily", at least I've never had to replace it, but maybe this could be the first time :D Quote me when you find something!
Yeah, right? I tought the same but it's actually what causes the CD Driver stop spinning in some cases (So maybe it can make it spin without controll if there's some kind of problem with the chip). It looks like this chip can overheat and the problem I have is usually related with a mobo short at some point, i've looked through all the mobo and haven't found anything related so it's a component-related issue and the only two options are:

· IC732 (The console still has sound and looks like working fine, so i doubt it and i hope it's not that because i'll need another PSone with working chip to fix it)

· IC722 (That Driver chip)

Do make sure you also check the capacitors for any leakage. If one or more of them wiggle and come off their pads, then it might be time to replace them.
Yeah, I'm algo going to check every single capacitor, I know that at least one of the video capacitors is a little bit damaged because of the effect it does, but actually it's not a lot and it's even cool so I don't think I'm going to change those, any ways I'll let you know if any of the capacitors is not working as it should since I'll try to check all components now that I have those schemas with every component value ;)

Tak-MK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yeah, right? I tought the same but it's actually what causes the CD Driver stop spinning in some cases (So maybe it can make it spin without controll if there's some kind of problem with the chip). It looks like this chip can overheat and the problem I have is usually related with a mobo short at some point, i've looked through all the mobo and haven't found anything related so it's a component-related issue and the only two options are:

· IC732 (The console still has sound and looks like working fine, so i doubt it and i hope it's not that because i'll need another PSone with working chip to fix it)

· IC722 (That Driver chip)

Yeah, I'm algo going to check every single capacitor, I know that at least one of the video capacitors is a little bit damaged because of the effect it does, but actually it's not a lot and it's even cool so I don't think I'm going to change those, any ways I'll let you know if any of the capacitors is not working as it should since I'll try to check all components now that I have those schemas with every component value ;)
btw, I see you're from Spain, and I have literally like 20 different PS1 on my workshop waiting to be repaired (mostly malfunctioning cd pickups). If you want one of the same model just to test or to salvage some ICs, just send me a private message and I can send you one for free (or you're invited to a beer if you live near Madrid xD).

Reactions: gomgo

gomgo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
gomgoblog.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Spain
btw, I see you're from Spain, and I have literally like 20 different PS1 on my workshop waiting to be repaired (mostly malfunctioning cd pickups). If you want one of the same model just to test or to salvage some ICs, just send me a private message and I can send you one for free (or you're invited to a beer if you live near Madrid xD).
Yeah! I'm from Spain, but not near Madrid :(. That would be pretty cool! I'll send you PM in a moment, i'll pay for the shipping oc :D. Tysm

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://overkill.wtf/emudeck-2-3-release/