cokeman118

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I recently purchased a PS2 off of ebay with the seller stating the drive bay wont open. They gave no further description, so I bought it in the dark not knowing the extent of the issues and thought it might be an easy fix.

Its a phat ps2 SCPH-39001. I will assume it has never been open since the warranty seal did not appear to be tampered with. When powered on, the console was making a steady "clicking" sound. I opened up the console and opened the lid of the optical drive. The disc tray was eventually able to eject on its own. The source of the clicking sound was coming from the laser head. The laser "eye" would just move up and down repeatedly. I would repeatedly switch off console and try to cycle the disc tray. At times it would open and close in a normal fashion. Sometimes the clicking would stop and the laser head appeared to be in a "normal" state. The laser head was able to move freely along the rails as well. Other than being somewhat dirty inside nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

I noticed that when powering on, the spindle would spin maybe a quarter turn, the laser would move and I could see the beam for a split second. I tried putting a disc in and it wouldn't read. It would spin for a quarter turn and nothing... sometimes the laser would start clicking again randomly. I kept cycling the console and eventually the disc would start to spin up as if the console was attempting to read the disc. However nothing will load and disc will eventually stop spinning.

Another strange thing is that the drive tray will at times open and close in a jerky manner... open stop, open more, stop, ect... and will close in the same manner. When this happens the laser head clicks at each point the drive tray stops. This makes me think there is some electrical issue with the laser head that is interfering with the drive tray motor. Of course it's always random, and sometimes it doesn't happen at all and works fine, but the speed of the clicking corresponds to the drive trays jerky behavior.

After doing some research, the laser head in my console appears to be the old "open face" sanyo HD7. These seem to be more expensive than the commonly used 400c. Then I read if swapping to a newer laser you would need to run homebrew app lenschanger so the console can read the newer head.

Has anyone experienced these issues I'm having? Does it sound like it's a laser issue or could it be other electrical problems? Obviously it's not reading anything but I have heard of issues on the mainboard also, but I wouldn't even know how to troubleshoot that. Should I keep the same HD7 style or upgrade to the 400c? I've read issues of not being able to read DVD's even after the swap and using lenschanger. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The laser should be dead at this point, if it's the OEM one that came with the system. You need to replace the entire laser assembly, the drive motor too if you hear any grinding noise when you first power on the system.
And maybe the disc spindle too, if replacing both (that're mentioned above) don't fix it.
Regarding the laser, iirc 39k has the best laser when it comes to fats. Now you can't just get a laser that's made for 50k model and expect it to work with your system etc.
They used more than one (laser) model for the 39k. The fan is known for being loud in comparison to other models like 50k & 30k.
Just get a laser that's compatible with your model. There's plenty of info online about the matter..

Reactions: Alexander1970

cokeman118

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into those suggestions. One other thing I noticed but didn't think anything of it at the time. On ribbon cable connecting to the laser head I noticed there was some kind black substance on it where it bends. Also where the ribbon cable rests on the metal chassis there was a black substance that sort of left an imprint of the ribbon cable... Small rows of black lines.

I tried to wipe it off but it didn't come off. I thought maybe it was some kind of grease since the cable rubbed on this area. Now I'm wondering if the cable actually worn down in this area from the constant flexing and rubbing in that area over time. Never heard of grease being used at a flex/wear area so I'm not really sure if that's what it is. Was there an issue with friction on these cables at that particular point?

Could the flex cable be worn causing these intermittent issues? I'll have to tear into the console again and test the continuity on the ribbon cable. Doesn't make sense the disc tray would be opening and closing erratically and randomly, and coinciding with laser movement.

Also I'm not getting any "read errors." Discs just aren't doing anything. System just gets to the browser/system configuration screen. In the rare event the disc does spin up I still don't get a read error.

Reactions: CoolMe

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's a fat just forget about the drive and get 3 thingsi
1) a preformatted fmcboot mem card(got mine for like $12 on ebay)
2) a saata PS2 network adapter (around 18-20 on ebay)
3) sata hdd/ssd (max 2TB) and you also may need an ext powered usb caddy to copy games
also get your games i think most dvd burners now a days can rip ps2 isos directly on your pc also look for hdl batch on here to install your ripped isos to your ps2's hdd

Reactions: zfreeman

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you see any cuts/ damage to it in some way, or the contacts were corroded, you can get a new ribbon cable replacement for that, though you'd have to apply some adhesive to the new one, exactly like it was with the old one..
Also I'm not getting any "read errors." Discs just aren't doing anything. System just gets to the browser/system configuration screen. In the rare event the disc does spin up I still don't get a read error.
Well, the components i mentioned above when they're not working correctly, they can fail to make the disc spin or be read at all..

cokeman118

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a network adapter on ebay, still need the freemcboot card. Going to try that route instead of messing with the laser... Maybe down the road I'll try to replace it. Right now hdd seems the easiest route to go.

Reactions: CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: