PS1/2 PSone chirping with ONEchip.

Armadillo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, I've got a PAL Psone, that makes what is best described as a chirping sound when the chip is installed or more specfically, when point #6 is attached.

As soon as the laser focuses on the disc, the constant chirping starts. I even grabbed a recording of it https://instaud.io/zDF, the constant sort of zzz,zzz,zzz,zzz is the problem noise.

I did find another with the same problem here http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/psone-laser-louder-after-mod-chip-install.50846/ and the suggestion of moving point 6 to the other side of the cap does work, but unfortunately, as the last post says, the PSone then gets very fussy.

I asked over there as well, and got suggestions of a cap on line 6 and a decoupling cap across the chip, unfortunately it does not clear the issue.

The only way to get rid of that noise has been:

Remove the chip (either completely, or just disconnecting power to it).
Disconnecting connection 6 (obviously stops the chip working).
Putting wire 6 on the other side of the cap. Works, but the console becomes incredibly fussy with discs.

It's a V2 PSone, and all posts I can find referencing that stupid noise, seem to concern the V2, so maybe the ONEchip just causes that on V2s. Other than the damn noise, it works perfectly.

Install:

LtTP2jQ.jpg

I've checked every point with a meter, all is well. The chip doesn't obstruct the shielding, everything is fine, the only thing that stops the damn noise is what I put above.

Do ONEchips just do that on V2 consoles? If not, any suggestions, as it's so annoying.

Thanks.

Last edited by Armadillo,
Reactions: GetTheKnife

Armadillo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is, check the thread on obscuregamers. Can't post links here.

Think I found the thread.

If it's the right thread then suggestions are to

Install an mm3 along side the onechip, and just use the onechip for bios patch.

Or try a different point for point 5. Current one is labeled rfck, new one is labelled wfck.

Not sure where my pic programmer is, won't have time this week, so next week I will try point 5 on wfck. If that doesn't work, then if I can find my programmer, I'll make an mm3, if not buy one and try the double install.

Quick edit.

This issue got me searching again, someone says they fixed it with a diode.

http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3386

I'll give that a shot as well.

Not sure a double install with mm3 will work either, judging by that topic all chips do it in the (2) revision. Not sure about psnee though, in another topic someone suggested that is fine, so maybe just the old pic based ones as they all use similar code. Might try a psnee as well, not sure yet.

Edit 2 as I don't want to double post.

Even though this was sorted on the other forum, thought I'd update here as well just incase anyone comes looking in the future. PsNee solves the issue. Chirping seems to be an issue with onechip code on this revision.

Last edited by Armadillo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-