Homebrew PSA: Your crashes aren't caused by Boot9Strap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, i actually have seen some major issues with 8.0+. The forced error messages cause some home menu returns such as the microsd management cia to crash when returning to the home menu, as well as retroarch emulators to crash. I've also seen rosalina bring minor lag to o3ds devices.
So..because both Nintendo and the Retroarch team can't exit an app properly, it's Luma's fault? The issue with mSD management is that the app, instead of closing, _crashes_ to home menu. Similar story with Retroarch. All Luma does is catch those crashes which shouldn't occur anyways. It _may_ be worked around for official apps, but for 3rd party stuff, go bug the developer of the app, they have issues to fix.

D

Deleted-351540

So..because both Nintendo and the Retroarch team can't exit an app properly, it's Luma's fault? The issue with mSD management is that the app, instead of closing, _crashes_ to home menu. Similar story with Retroarch. All Luma does is catch those crashes which shouldn't occur anyways. It _may_ be worked around for official apps, but for 3rd party stuff, go bug the developer of the app, they have issues to fix.
Maybe, if it was only certain Nintendo apps. For some of us, VC crashes. For some of us, all homebrew CIA's crash. On mine, most homebrew CIA's and homebrew 3dsx apps crash. And a few games. All crash immediately after launch or randomly.

So no, it's not just that these apps are crashing upon closing. It isn't even any specific app.

Reactions: DarthDub
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe, if it was only certain Nintendo apps. For some of us, VC crashes. For some of us, all homebrew CIA's crash. On mine, most homebrew CIA's and homebrew 3dsx apps crash. And a few games. All crash immediately after launch or randomly.

So no, it's not just that these apps are crashing upon closing. It isn't even any specific app.
All Luma is doing differently is catching crashes which were previously either uncaught or displayed ErrDisp. Maybe know what you're talking about before speaking.

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently, I've seen a lot of threads about "B9S crashes" and "B9S boot problems", and even some users ranting about B9S being the cause of every single problem on Earth. I created this thread to say that no, B9S is not behind these problems, and that the cause is most likely the Luma3DS CFW in its latest versions.

Explanation:
Boot9Strap cannot cause any problem once inside of the 3DS. Boot9Strap is only an exploit or entrypoint, exactly like ARM9LoaderHax or even menuhax, oot3dhax etc., which allows the CFW to boot. When you 3DS boots, Boot9Strap only searches for a boot.firm file to run, and that's all. Once boot.firm, which contains your CFW (for example Luma3DS), is launched, B9S doesn't act anymore. You could called B9S the front door of your house, the latter being your 3DS's CFW.

The crashes and how to remedy to them:
The latest versions (v8.0 and v8.1) of Luma3DS, a common 3DS CFW, have as a new feature called Rosalina. But due to the fact that the latter is still a highly experimental beta feature, it has been known to cause a lot of ARM11 crashes, mostly in-game. The only faulty software here is Luma3DS AND NOT by B9S, since the latter has stopped running since you've booted the device.
If you encounter a lot of these crashes, it is advised to try and switch to the special Luma 3DS 7.1 "legacy" Rosalina-free build made compatible with the latest version of B9S.

Thanks so much! I have been getting several Arm11 crashes since switching from A9LH to B9. Hopefully this will work. Very much appreciated! :)

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
i found that with both versions things i ran would either both crash or neither crash. luma 8.0 provides info on the crash tho so i just stuck with it. some 3dsx homebrew broke a bit with luma 8.0 tho that i can confirm

Xe-rom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I hate to be noob but this fix covers my system which gives me a error screen to turn off after ten seconds of powering on right?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i found that with both versions things i ran would either both crash or neither crash. luma 8.0 provides info on the crash tho so i just stuck with it. some 3dsx homebrew broke a bit with luma 8.0 tho that i can confirm
And those are trying to be resolved. But issues can never be worked out if nobody reports them. And what's the biggest test environment? Production, assuming said test is non-destructive.

Reactions: MarioMasta64

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All Luma is doing differently is catching crashes which were previously either uncaught or displayed ErrDisp. Maybe know what you're talking about before speaking.

Your statements are self contradictory. You clearly state it's Luma's fault but then you go on to say the app developer should fix it, doesn't make any sense. Besides TuxSh himself mentioned the handler is quite buggy.

Last edited by Joel16,
Reactions: DarthDub

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I wish there could be a way to disable rosalina when you press start on boot, I am a o3ds user so it concerns me the games are lagging even more with rosalina, I normally don't use it's functions, I know there is a legacy branch, but still, I was grateful when in an update I could save the configuration of which app launches the homebrew

Reactions: Joel16

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
This would make a good sticky here, in the same vein as the no homebrew sticky in the switch hacking and homebrew thread.
While yes this thread is useful, I think if it was more like the "A9LH doesn't fix your problem" sticky thread which has a list of problems you might face then hell yeah sticky all the way.

I understand if you want this as a sticky, I just don't think so.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country

So I assume you compile everything with -Wall -Werror , right? Because that is essentially what is happening with Luma with the exception handlers.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I assume you compile everything with -Wall -Werror , right? Because that is essentially what is happening with Luma with the exception handlers.
Better question: Do you *not* compile everything with -Wall -Werror? (or at least -Wall, maybe -Wextra)

I've found that -Wall and -Wextra help to find bugs that I might otherwise not notice. (I don't use -Werror because it gets in the way of debugging, but I do try to reduce the total number of warnings to as close to 0 as possible.)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd have to go with @Joel16 here. he's one of my favorite developers across multiple systems, and we've also developed a friendship so I might be biased. ;) this is pinky btw. I can't recall if I mentioned that. lol

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Better question: Do you *not* compile everything with -Wall -Werror? (or at least -Wall, maybe -Wextra)

I've found that -Wall and -Wextra help to find bugs that I might otherwise not notice. (I don't use -Werror because it gets in the way of debugging, but I do try to reduce the total number of warnings to as close to 0 as possible.)

Do you like having a usable gentoo/lfs system without having to spend years fixing every single warning in hundreds of packages? Or just being able to use homebrew without having to spend hours/days/weeks per program fixing everything. Why don't you try setting up a gentoo system where everything has been compiled with -Wall -Werror (i.e. no warnings allowed) sometime? Let me know when you finally get a usable system.

Or even just let me know when you have reverse engineered the 3ds system menu and coded a full replacement, or at least patched everything properly (which is the proper way to fix the arm11 exceptions).

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you like having a usable gentoo/lfs system without having to spend years fixing every single warning in hundreds of packages? Or just being able to use homebrew without having to spend hours/days/weeks per program fixing everything. Why don't you try setting up a gentoo system where everything has been compiled with -Wall -Werror (i.e. no warnings allowed) sometime? Let me know when you finally get a usable system.

Or even just let me know when you have reverse engineered the 3ds system menu and coded a full replacement, or at least patched everything properly (which is the proper way to fix the arm11 exceptions).
I was referring to compiling my own code (or projects I'm contributing to) with -Wall etc. For the record, I *have* submitted patches to various upstream projects (mostly to add new functionality, not to fix harmless warnings).

I like how you somehow escalated this from "waah you suck at programming" to "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah your argument is invalid unless you do some ridiculously complicated thing like write a full 3DS OS replacement".

(Incidentally, I was told repeatedly that once Sighax happened, we'd automatically have a "true custom firmware". Where is it?)

EDIT: Oh, now I remember. You're the person who posted this:
32 bit systems are outdated and not supported by makerom at all (which is why even if you can find/compile a 32 bit version, it won't work right.
I didn't get around to replying to verify that makerom does in fact work on 32-bit, but other users did, so I'm not sure where you came up with the idea that they somehow intentionally made it incompatible with 32-bit. That doesn't even make sense.

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

THYPLEX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Even with the Legacy 7.1 TWL on my new 3ds with bootstrap 1.2 still doesn't work !
Still anche arm11 error

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Back when I was playing kakarot I looked up one little guide now all I see is dbz stuff