Homebrew [PSA] WHAT IS HAPPENING: A debriefing on what the current events are and why

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As the more avid-eyed of you may have noticed, things are on fire because of the early releases of the 9.3+ downgrading tools. Here's what happened:

Early, unfinished hacked-together builds of Memchunkhax 2 plus sysUpdater were released earlier today, and numerous people jumped on the "let's try this without it having even been tested yet" wagon. Some without even hardmods.
What was the result? Obviously, since the exploit is still unstable and throwing sysUpdater into the mix so liberally is a horrible idea, several bricks have occurred for numerous reasons: Bad update packages, tampering with update packages, general exploit errors, etc.
Those who DID successfully manage to downgrade were faced with a rather aggravating outcome:
ARM9 kernel-based tools CFW ain't working.

This happened because whilst the rest of the system got indeed downgraded to 9.2, NATIVE_FIRM did NOT get downgraded with everything else due to problems with NATIVE_FIRM version checks, which creates a "fake" 9.2 system that can't take advantage of Firmlaunchhax, ARM9 kernel exploits or really anything 10.3 couldn't already do.
This issue is being looked into, and all hope is not lost just yet.
The issue is confirmed to be solvable: It's possible to do a full downgrade, including NATIVE_FIRM, through ARM11 kernel only.
That said, as repeatedly stated everywhere else, don't try it without a hardmod AND knowing exactly what you're doing here.

Along with that, a build of FBI with MCH2 tacked onto the side popped up for people that're too impatient to wait a little bit until the exploit is implemented into Libkhax and FBI popped up. Whilst it DOES seem to work for installing legit CIAs, I don't think I would reccomend using it until Steveice actually implements everything.

I'm aware that there's already another thread on the subject, but I feel like an explanation longer than "IT DOES BRICKS AND DOESN'T WORK" is good to have.

tl;dr: Things aren't working yet and people jumped the gun and ended up with a 10.3 3DS in disguise.
Wait for further instructions by trusted members of the community.

Last edited by Sgt. Lulz,

Substance12

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thank you. Hopefully more people will understand and LEARN TO WAIT.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Again, only trust steveice10, TuxSH, julian20, delebile, Mrrraou, JustPingo and a couple others I may have forgot.

Reactions: skidooelan

Pinda

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
jasonmeulenhoff.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
One thing you guys can start doing is downloading cias for when everything is done you can already have some, but that's it. Do not try to install them.

Unless you want to brick your 3DS just wait and calm down the hype train.

Let users decide what they want to do with their 3ds's. There are more then enough warning disclaimers out there.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Substance12

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You can install LEGIT CIAS only. Just don't bother installing non legit ones.

I mean for when EVERYTHING works properly (downgrade, emuNAND, CFW...) which is not happening now. I'm just downloading some non-legit .cias for later, but i'm not installing anything yet.

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, people are hyping about installing legit .cias (which is possible yet unreliable), they stopped hyping about the downgrader some hours ago when we discovered that using sysupdater didn't downgrade FIRM.
Supposedly there's another way around downgrading FIRM that's being looked into.
Of course, it's not certain that it works yet, but only time will tell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated