Hacking PSA about IPATCHed Switches and supernag.

SapphireExile

Sapphire
Trophies
Website
sapphirelabs.online
XP
Country
United States
I seem to be misunderstanding here.

If one were to delete the downloaded update files via maintenance mode, then change the DNS to Pega, wouldn't the console still need to authenticate with the web server to redownload the update files, thus opening the exploit even with supernag?

It wouldn't make much sense if Nintendo disabled manual authentication during supernag, as it would prevent those that have a legit reason to authenticate with a host from downloading the update files.

I have an original Switch, so just asking out of curiosity.

Last edited by SapphireExile,

ootnes2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Updating via a cartridge (this COULD work, it depends on when your unit went online. If it went online before the FW on the cart was released, it *should* clear it. Considering supernag was added in 4.1.0, and there are no public exploits for >4.1.0 currently, this is useless)

I thought supernag also impacted 2.x firmware units? If it was only added in 4.1.0, as opposed to added on the server, wouldn’t the 2.x firmware units be unaffected?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I seem to be misunderstanding here.

If one were to delete the downloaded update files via maintenance mode, then change the DNS to Pega, wouldn't the console still need to authenticate with the web server to redownload the update files, thus opening the exploit even with supernag?

It wouldn't make much sense if Nintendo disabled manual authentication during supernag, as it would prevent those that have a legit reason to authenticate with a host from downloading the update files.

I have an original Switch, so just asking out of curiosity.
Yeah. If you don't have your own internet and don't know anyone IRL that does and are relying on public hotspots with a captive portal to go online, you are pretty much stuck not updating your Switch and therefore stuck using it offline only. But how likely is that of a scenario really?

Whatnoww

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While as of the last couple days thanks to tremendous effort from people in the community such as SciresM, hexkyz, and deer/liuervehc, we now have patched Switches on 4.1.0 Firmware running Atmosphere/emuMMC on 8.1.0. Unfortunately, some further requirements were not made exactly clear previously until individuals were unable to use the Deja Vu exploit chain on patched Switches. This is caused due to what people call "supernag", Supernag occurs when your Switch connects to Nintendo servers and writes save data indicating a new firmware update is available. When this savedata indicates a version greater than your current version is available, your Switch will refuse to launch any sort of web browser which is required to launch PegaSwitch and the Deja Vu exploit chain. This savedata is persistent through any attempts to remove it on OFW, including system initialization, etc. The only way to regain access to web browsers on the Switch is by updating your Switch to a version greater than or equal to the version cached in the save data from when you last went online. If you last went online before 8.0.0 came out, you could theoretically use a cartridge to update to 7.0.1 once Deja Vu is usable on that firmware, but that could be quite some time before that is possible. I have tested virtually every viable method of removing supernag on a console, including updating with a cartridge, using Fake News/Puyo Puyo Tetris, and system initialization, and none of them worked for me. The one way I was able to end it was by updating to latest firmware with ChoiDujourNX (my example savedata signaled 8.1.0 update available, I will try to get savedata representing 5.0.0 and update with cartridge later to be thorough).

TL;DR: If you have a patched switch, NEVER LET IT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. The only time when it should ever try to connect to the internet is if you have BOTH primary and secondary DNS set to a 90dns or PegaSwitch enabled server, and after ensuring neither your router nor ISP will redirect DNS requests. If your Switch attempts to connect to Nintendo servers, it is highly unlikely you'll ever have hacks on a patched unit.

Edit: Maintenance mode *will not* clear supernag. It can clear normal nag which just asks you to update (the prompt has 3 buttons on it), but supernag (prompt has 2 buttons) will persist as it is signaled by a system save that is not cleared from maintenance mode or system initialization (maintenance mode will only delete update data)

EDIT 2:
There are currently NO known ways of removing SUPERNAG. Anything you read is likely speculation and proven to not work already. Things that have been tested:
  • Maintenance Mode
  • Console Initialization (both through settings and maintenance mode)
  • Failing an update due to battery/etc (don't even try this, dumb idea and not a chance of working)
  • Fake news
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris or other web browser entry points
  • Updating via a cartridge (this COULD work, it depends on when your unit went online. If it went online before the FW on the cart was released, it *should* clear it. Considering supernag was added in 4.1.0, and there are no public exploits for >4.1.0 currently, this is useless)
Just to be clear. A DNS blocking certain Nintendo addresses would not work?

SapphireExile

Sapphire
Trophies
Website
sapphirelabs.online
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. If you don't have your own internet and don't know anyone IRL that does and are relying on public hotspots with a captive portal to go online, you are pretty much stuck not updating your Switch and therefore stuck using it offline only. But how likely is that of a scenario really?

I've been around a few apartment complexes where the tenants log in to a public router to access their internet.

Yes, it is uncommon, but it is still a thing that happens. Strange that Nintendo would block the browser even for authentication.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've been around a few apartment complexes where the tenants log in to a public router to access their internet.

Yes, it is uncommon, but it is still a thing that happens. Strange that Nintendo would block the browser even for authentication.
But even when that is the case, they probably have friends or family with a dedicated internet connection they can borrow.

Rados

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Hi, I have switch od 7.0.0 but with supernag. Is there any possibilites to update to 7.0.1 with cartridge or other methode, bacause i think its supernag for 7.0.1 not for 8.0. Thanks

CubeBag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how i know if my console is supernag?
If you have connected it to the internet at any point without 90dns it's probably supernagged but you can try to follow the instructions for Caffeine and if it complains about an update you're supernagged. There's probably other ways to do it but I'm not really sure

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I have switch od 7.0.0 but with supernag. Is there any possibilites to update to 7.0.1 with cartridge or other methode, bacause i think its supernag for 7.0.1 not for 8.0. Thanks
If you're on 7.0.0, supernag doesn't matter. You can't use CFW on 7.0.0 unless the Switch is RCM vulnerable or you have a modchip. In both of those situations, you can update to the latest version (10.1.0).

Neruakita

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hey guys! And merry Christmas!

I've recently discovered that the "possibly patched" serial number of my Switch is finally patched. That is sad because I also discovered that staying in 4.1.0 was a very wise idea, altough now useless because I have that annoying Supernag which does not allow me to run Caffeine. I'm trying to research more about it and I saw this thread.

So I was wondering if there is any news or updates on the status of cfw for ipatched consoles with Supernag (aside from mod-chips, of course). It is frustrating to have a vulnerable Switch with just that cruel thing within.

I can provide some information in case it may help or illustrate:
- Serial: XAJ400600... (ipatched)
- Version: 4.1.0
- Region: EUR
- I also have a Super Mario game in 1.0.0 version (just in case, since I heard something about game cart updates. Personally, I have no idea about this)

If there is something I can do to help or investigate, I will do it with pleasure. Anything to help that people who is in my same boat.

Thank you all! :bow:

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys! And merry Christmas!

I've recently discovered that the "possibly patched" serial number of my Switch is finally patched. That is sad because I also discovered that staying in 4.1.0 was a very wise idea, altough now useless because I have that annoying Supernag which does not allow me to run Caffeine. I'm trying to research more about it and I saw this thread.

So I was wondering if there is any news or updates on the status of cfw for ipatched consoles with Supernag (aside from mod-chips, of course). It is frustrating to have a vulnerable Switch with just that cruel thing within.

I can provide some information in case it may help or illustrate:
- Serial: XAJ400600... (ipatched)
- Version: 4.1.0
- Region: EUR
- I also have a Super Mario game in 1.0.0 version (just in case, since I heard something about game cart updates. Personally, I have no idea about this)

If there is something I can do to help or investigate, I will do it with pleasure. Anything to help that people who is in my same boat.

Thank you all! :bow:

Nope, highest firmware for ipatched/deja vu is still 4.1.0

Reactions: Neruakita

Neruakita

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Nope, highest firmware for ipatched/deja vu is still 4.1.0

Ok, thank you!
And would you all recommend to update the console now before another firmware update is released (and that way remove the current Supernag), assumming Déjà Vu would be accessible for ipatched higher versions?
Or do you think it is better to stay in 4.1.0, because it could be more possible to find a Supernag fix?

Thanks again :yay:

Last edited by Neruakita,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, thank you!
And would you all recommend to update the console now before another firmware update is released (and that way remove the current Supernag), assumming Déjà Vu would be accessible for ipatched higher versions?
Or do you think it is better to stay in 4.1.0, because it could be more possible to find a Supernag fix?

Thanks again :yay:

We have no idea when the next support for the Deja Vu exploit would be released, look like you need to stay at 4.1.0 for now.

Reactions: Neruakita

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte