PSA about IPATCHed Switches and supernag.

Gren22 Jun 27, 2019.

1. Gren22
    OP

Gren22 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2018
    United States
    While as of the last couple days thanks to tremendous effort from people in the community such as SciresM, hexkyz, and deer/liuervehc, we now have patched Switches on 4.1.0 Firmware running Atmosphere/emuMMC on 8.1.0. Unfortunately, some further requirements were not made exactly clear previously until individuals were unable to use the Deja Vu exploit chain on patched Switches. This is caused due to what people call "supernag", Supernag occurs when your Switch connects to Nintendo servers and writes save data indicating a new firmware update is available. When this savedata indicates a version greater than your current version is available, your Switch will refuse to launch any sort of web browser which is required to launch PegaSwitch and the Deja Vu exploit chain. This savedata is persistent through any attempts to remove it on OFW, including system initialization, etc. The only way to regain access to web browsers on the Switch is by updating your Switch to a version greater than or equal to the version cached in the save data from when you last went online. If you last went online before 8.0.0 came out, you could theoretically use a cartridge to update to 7.0.1 once Deja Vu is usable on that firmware, but that could be quite some time before that is possible. I have tested virtually every viable method of removing supernag on a console, including updating with a cartridge, using Fake News/Puyo Puyo Tetris, and system initialization, and none of them worked for me. The one way I was able to end it was by updating to latest firmware with ChoiDujourNX (my example savedata signaled 8.1.0 update available, I will try to get savedata representing 5.0.0 and update with cartridge later to be thorough).

TL;DR: If you have a patched switch, NEVER LET IT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. The only time when it should ever try to connect to the internet is if you have BOTH primary and secondary DNS set to a 90dns or PegaSwitch enabled server, and after ensuring neither your router nor ISP will redirect DNS requests. If your Switch attempts to connect to Nintendo servers, it is highly unlikely you'll ever have hacks on a patched unit.

Edit: Maintenance mode *will not* clear supernag. It can clear normal nag which just asks you to update (the prompt has 3 buttons on it), but supernag (prompt has 2 buttons) will persist as it is signaled by a system save that is not cleared from maintenance mode or system initialization (maintenance mode will only delete update data)

EDIT 2:
    There are currently NO known ways of removing SUPERNAG. Anything you read is likely speculation and proven to not work already. Things that have been tested:
    • Maintenance Mode
    • Console Initialization (both through settings and maintenance mode)
    • Failing an update due to battery/etc (don't even try this, dumb idea and not a chance of working)
    • Fake news
    • Puyo Puyo Tetris or other web browser entry points
    • Updating via a cartridge (this COULD work, it depends on when your unit went online. If it went online before the FW on the cart was released, it *should* clear it. Considering supernag was added in 4.1.0, and there are no public exploits for >4.1.0 currently, this is useless)

Last edited by Gren22, Jun 30, 2019
    xmflsct, stephrk398, renjiVII and 8 others like this.
  2. x124

x124 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2019
    United States
    It's worth noting that if one has a nand dump and biskeys, it should be possible to fix this with a hardware mod. So, if one accidentally connects to the internet after the first time they hacked the switch, all is not lost.
    But it would be very difficult to fix and there are no buyable hardware mods to achieve this yet. as far as I know.
    tl/dr: Create backups

ModderFokker619 and Gren22 like this.
  3. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Update nag can be cleared by just enter Recovery Mode (Not RCM) and it will be cleared.

4. anhyeuviolet

anhyeuviolet Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2019
    Vietnam
    Anybody please test that !
    My patched unit is about 5.1.0. Don't dare to test it :(

5. Gren22
    OP

Gren22 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2018
    United States
    This can clear standard nag, but it will not clear supernag. (I'm not sure the difference between causing each)
    (This was as reported by another user, I suppose I'll go test it myself real quick)

Edit: I have tested it myself now, and can confirm maintenance mode/system initialization will not clear supernag. Have added a note to the OP to clearly state this.

Last edited by Gren22, Jun 27, 2019
    anhyeuviolet likes this.
  6. noahc3

noahc3 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    Canada
    Manitoba
    This only deletes the update files from your system. It does not reset the update record nor vulnerability!needs_update_vulnerability_policy flag in ns which you are guaranteed to get at this point. These flags force you to update to access the browser webapplet.

Last edited by noahc3, Jun 27, 2019
    anhyeuviolet likes this.
  7. Gren22
    OP

Gren22 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2018
    United States
    Very good point. There is currently an issue on the Atmosphere repo requesting to automatically dump biskeys along with PRODINFO, so hopefully that is done soon to save some people.

8. goldenguy43

goldenguy43 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2013
    So that means whenever someone once connected their switch to the internet, it makes the console unhackable?

9. x124

x124 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2019
    United States
    yup. pretty neat huh?

wicksand420 likes this.
  10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I thought the supernag was cleared by doing a full format of the console in Maintenance Mode (deleting save data and downloaded content), and that that was the only way to clear it, or am I misremembering?

NoNAND likes this.
  11. Sato92

Sato92 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2014
    Serbia, Republic of
    Sigh... I wainted hack with my patched switch, just to see that I have supernag.
    Maintenance mode doesnt remove it yea

And here is the question
    What would be more wisely, upgrade to latest FW, or wait till solution to supernag arrived?
    The scenario could be that hack 8.1 can be easier done, than hack the supernag
    I think about cartridge with higher FW , but as op said ot doesnt work. And this is TOO bad.

Maybe we can in future write a script to wifi router to disguise N servers? And then hack the supernag?

Damn if i have a time machine , I traveled back, and never connect my switch to internet, or just upgrade to 6.2 fw.
    ..or just find hackable switch))

12. masagrator

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    You can always update. But you can't downgrade.
    So updating to 8.1 means bigger risk than staying and waiting for clearing supernag.

Sergey004 likes this.
  13. Sumandora

Sumandora Im using Parental Controls. Change my Mind!

Nov 13, 2018
    Germany
    works. just press POWER UP, VOL+ and VOL- using this "hack" too

14. Syco54645

Syco54645 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2019
    United States
    Well I have supernag but now when I connect to the pegascape DNS it not longer says the network requires registration. Did I somehow get locked out even worse?

Last edited by Syco54645, Jun 27, 2019
  15. lembi2001

lembi2001 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2015
    It has already been confirmed that this does NOT work. Giving misinformation like that out is going to cause more people to be caught out by the Supernag.

16. Sumandora

Nov 13, 2018
    Germany
    but why does it work for me? mmhh...

17. lembi2001

lembi2001 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2015
    Do you have a patched switch with the supernag?

Can you take pictures or record yourself clearing the supernag?

Everything points to this not being possible to do. I recall similar issues with the supernag on the unpatched consoles a while back

18. Sumandora

Nov 13, 2018
    Germany
    what for supernag. linuxares was talking about normal nag and the other one asked him about normal nag

19. lembi2001

lembi2001 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2015
    This whole thread is about the supernag. The title even states Supernag.

I suspect Linuxares either misread or misunderstood the post.

20. Sumandora

Nov 13, 2018
    Germany
    that doesnt mean that the asker misread :D

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted