PS4 gets kernel level access on FW 4.06

C8YkhwRWsAANHFy.jpg

The PlayStation Vita isn't the only system that has scene news today, as a user named qwertyoruiop has done something huge with the PlayStation 4. On official firmware 4.06 he managed to get Kernel access through an exploit. Established PS4 hacker "Cturt" also tweeted out the following:

Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/CTurtE/status/848472325007822848

The web exploit is claimed to work on 4.xx firmwares, a huge advance compared to the previous exploited firmware, 1.76. There is no guarantee of a CFW or backup loader at this point in time, but it is still a huge breakthrough in the PS4 homebrew scene.

:arrow: Source

random_human_being_

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have a job but I hate the fact that games nowadays cost upwards of £50 on release, a lot of them are £60!! And if the game is crap then you have 2 choices either keep it accept you wasted your money or trade in for a pathetic value because the game is crap.
Sorry but I have a try before I buy policy and as game stores no longer let you do that in store then piracy is the only way.
I miss the good old days where you could buy your game, on a cartridge may I add, and if said game was crap, you could take it back and get a refund!

When are those good old days supposed to have taken place? Because, at least where I live, an opened item is treated as "used", regardless of whether it's a cartridge or a disc; the only instances where you can return a game and get all your money back are when the game is already opened (i.e. already used) or when it's defective, and that's true today as it was in the 80s.
The excuses that games are either too expensive, or that we aren't allowed to try them don't hold water: first, if you factor in inflation games are less expensive than they used to be back in the "good old days" - that is, even though they've actually gotten exponentially more expensive to make; second, back in the "good old days" the only way you had to know if a game was decent was by word of mouth, or by looking at a usually deceptive boxart, whereas nowadays you have streamers, demos, hundreds of reviewers, and so on.

Now, I'm not saying I've never pirated a game in the last few years, but if there's something that rubs me the wrong way are claims that piracy puts you on a moral high ground, compared to people who purchase their games.

Last edited by random_human_being_,

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When are those good old days supposed to have taken place? Because, at least where I live, an opened item is treated as "used", regardless of whether it's a cartridge or a disc; the only instances where you can return a game and get all your money back are when the game is already opened (i.e. already used) or when it's defective, and that's true today as it was in the 80s.
The excuses that games are either too expensive, or that we aren't allowed to try them don't hold water: first, if you factor in inflation games are less expensive than they used to be back in the "good old days" - that is, even though they've actually gotten exponentially more expensive to make; second, back in the "good old days" the only way you had to know if a game was decent was by word of mouth, or by looking at a usually deceptive boxart, whereas nowadays you have streamers, demos, hundreds of reviewers, and so on.

Now, I'm not saying I've never pirated a game in the last few years, but if there's something that rubs me the wrong way are claims that piracy puts you on a moral high ground, compared to people who purchase their games.

I used to return games all the time when I was a kid, I'm in the UK and that used to standard practice until EB/GAME became the only video game retailer in the UK. I returned games on cassette, floppy disc and cartridge for Atari, Commodore 64, Megadrive and Snes among others. Either because the game was crap or just didn't work.
That's when the golden days took place. You probably were not even born then.

Last edited by nikeymikey,
Reactions: PoppaDre

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thaaaaaaanks

piracy is literally the only reason to mod a console these days. who gives a fuck about homebrew, just let me play backups and pirate dlc

I do. I really hope there will be more homebrew. But you're just one of those guys who thinks piracy is the only reason. Not true.
I'm waiting for ****king ages for an NTR Viewer for Wii U, so you can stream the Wii U TV and/or GamePad screen to your PC so that you can record.

random_human_being_

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I used to return games all the time when I was a kid, I'm in the UK and that used to standard practice until EB/GAME became the only video game retailer in the UK. I returned games on cassette, floppy disc and cartridge for Atari, Commodore 64, Megadrive and Snes among others. Either because the game was crap or just didn't work.
That's when the golden days took place. You probably were not even born then.

Again, where those games brand new when you had bought them? I'm yet to see any store who gives full refunds for previously unopened items.

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you factor in inflation games are less expensive than they used to be back in the "good old days"

^This! I remember paying $70-$80 for N64 games 20 years ago, and about $50 for PS1 games. Obviously carts are a more expensive format, but the optical media format only rose about $10 in 20 YEARS! I'm surprised games aren't more these days, but given the insane cost of game development, it's no wonder that DLC and season passes exist. They have to recoup the cost.

petran79

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
^This! I remember paying $70-$80 for N64 games 20 years ago, and about $50 for PS1 games. Obviously carts are a more expensive format, but the optical media format only rose about $10 in 20 YEARS! I'm surprised games aren't more these days, but given the insane cost of game development, it's no wonder that DLC and season passes exist. They have to recoup the cost.

On the other hand arcades were dirt cheap. Eg where I lived, an expensive SNES game equalled to 1500 arcade credits.

Reactions: Inuk

BornSinner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Are there minimum firmware version requirements for games like with the PSVita on PS4? I wanted to play Persona 5, but given the latest news i'll wait a bit before buying it if it needs 4.50.
The kernel hack is supposed to work on 4.50, but it lacks an entrypoint while 4.0x has one ready.

mich_e_l2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
excuse me ....how we can get benefit from the webkit ...or in other words how to use it to play games ???

or the work is not finished yet and it is just a start ????

D

Deleted User

Hopefully we get something like freeshop.Games nowadays take up too much space and not everyone has a 1tb harddrive on their pc to FTP transfer over

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: @Xdqwerty, about to