PS1 game saves for PS4/PS5 versions of PS1 Classics

GammaGulp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With PS1 classic games like Ape Escape, Syphon Filter, and Wild Arms now available as PS4/PS5 games on PSN, I'm wondering if there is a way to extract or even inject PS1 memory card save files.

PS5 games don't support copying saves to USB, so I guess that won't work, but with PS4 games I see 3 types of save files for a PS1 game:
  • Quick Saves (the biggest file)
  • Memory Cards (Gameplay Progress Data)
  • Application Data (Game Progress and UI Appearance Data)
How likely is it that the "Memory Cards" data has the actual PS1 memory card data in there? I dream of being able to extract or even inject an old save into there so I can carry over MCR or PSV saves from the PS1 or PS3 era and continue them on PS4.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure this will work. I believe the ps2 memory cards are just images like the ps3. it's a full memory card. ps1 memory cards are 128KBs, and they're very easy to inject. you just have to make a save on the memory card so that it's contained in the toc (first block where it lists the content of the other blocks), then inject it into the memory card at 0x2000, for another 0x2000. each block is that length. to know you've done it right, the first two in ascii are SC (probably for sony corporation or sony computers). the one problem though is what firmware do these games need. you might have to use hen, but I'm not sure if there's a way around that.

GammaGulp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure this will work. I believe the ps2 memory cards are just images like the ps3. it's a full memory card. ps1 memory cards are 128KBs, and they're very easy to inject. you just have to make a save on the memory card so that it's contained in the toc (first block where it lists the content of the other blocks), then inject it into the memory card at 0x2000, for another 0x2000. each block is that length. to know you've done it right, the first two in ascii are SC (probably for sony corporation or sony computers). the one problem though is what firmware do these games need. you might have to use hen, but I'm not sure if there's a way around that.
It would be cool to see some kind of tool that could export the saves from a PS4-PS1 memory card save file...

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or Save Card. The first two bytes in a memory card are MC.
doubtful. the header in the ps3 is sce, standing for sony corporation entertainment, so it's likely sony is the s. sony likes to put their name on everything. in fact the dat that's a part of all packages, says something about sony, forgot what, but it's part of the package builder. a hacker can change it, but that's what it is by default. I think it's logo.dat or something to that effect. I no longer care about the ps3, so I'm basing that on memory.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it may be possible with another ps4, to make a dummy save, then copy that to your other ps4, the one with hen. it's a ps4/5 game, wild arms is, so it may or may not be compatible with the raw save you copy from the ps2 using launch.elf. the problem is you'd need to two systems, and I think that game requires 9.60 on the ps4 and probably 5.10 on the ps5, since it only came out on the 13th, less than a week ago, so you'd have to export/import it back to the 9.60 ps4. I don't know if this works or if you'd need a later version of firmware even to decrypt it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah been there had that no fun