PS Vita SDK--it's official.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
OP
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
PS Suite SDK
pssuitetgs2011.jpg

Sony recently announced that it is introducing a cross-platform SDK for their PS Suite initiative (which includes the PSVita!) to be released in November. It uses the C# programming language and there is no confirmation on pricing. The content developed with the SDK will run through a virtual machine.

I'm excited that homebrewers can code for the Vita without hacking. But what caveats will Sony sneak in?[/p]
source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/15/playsta...ering-games-in/

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They would probably just take it away like other os.
tpi.gif

Um... I didn't see how this would stop or even slow down hacking, especially base on what
restrictions they will put on there.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's a nice idea, but I wonder how it will evolve.

I hope not like this:

PSVita Firmware 1.00: -PS Suite Feature to let you run homebrews verified by Sony.
PSVita Firmware 1.01: -PS Suite Feature removed due to security concerns.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
titen96 said:
i hope that there wont be too much of a restriction on what you can make
The restriction is that the device has to be Playstation Certified. They are working to make the number of devices higher in the future, but now, is limited to Sony's Xperia Play, and tablets S1 and S2.

The normal PS Vita devkit will cost only $2000 (1700 euros). There's a lot of highways for developers to make games and apps for Sony smartphones and Vita now.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
c sharp huh... thats kinda cool
i wish they dont remove this later on.
they have kept their fan support on very well since the first hack. i dont think it can get better than this unless they give away free PSP titles for PSvita

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Snailface said:
I'm curious as to why they chose C#. Any ideas?
Seems like a strange choice, as far as I am aware, C# is developed by Microsoft and used almost exclusively on their platforms. XNA Development Kit for the Xbox 360 used C#, maybe Sony are hoping that hobbyist coders learnt it for that purpose and will now be willing to reuse that knowledge here? I would have thought C++ would have been a more obvious choice though, seeing as it is generally accepted as the "standard" for homebrew coders (who arguably are the ones most likely to make the most impressive sutff). Perhaps they want to discourage some "regular" homebrew coders, who are more likely to try to break restrictions etc... (too much hassle to learn a new language).

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought this was already confirmed and priced at $3000 awhile ago, I remember that Shuhei Yoshida was interviewed and he said that they wanted to make it cheap enough for indie devs. Anyway Nintendo already expressed that it doesn't like "garage" devs.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cris92x said:
I thought this was already confirmed and priced at $3000 awhile ago, I remember that Shuhei Yoshida was interviewed and he said that they wanted to make it cheap enough for indie devs. Anyway Nintendo already expressed that it doesn't like "garage" devs.
Perhaps that was the full Vita SDK (although it seems relatively cheap for a full system SDK), this news refers to the PS Suite SDK, capable of producing games for specially licensed Android devices (currently the Xperia Play and one or two of Sony's upcoming Android tablets, but should be more in the future) as well as the Vita.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Remember to take your meds like AncientBoi.