Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
and that will stop stores from ordering in as much games
Okay.
and consoles
Why? Why would they stop ordering a piece of hardware if it still sells and selling it would make them money? Retaliation?
To make Sony either drop the prices of games on the store or the retailers.
They cant make the store prices more expensive so they will have to either suffer loss of console sales or drop the prices of games at retail.
People making Vita games will earn less money cause of that and the quality of games will drop.
And that is why Sony would not make them 40% off on PSN.
Oh and plus the game stores will do less advertising since they wont make as much money off games.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I feel like this would make developers not want to develop games because they are selling full titles for less money.

Even though they don't have to make the physical copies, they're still losing money.

You're underestimating how much money goes into the whole distribution process. Besides, developers only get a cut of the money from the publishers anyway.

With this, publishers get the money more directly while ensuring that their games can't be bought used; it's a win-win for them. The amount developers make either will either increase (if their games sell better through this system) or not at all.
I realize it takes a ton of work, and many steps. But I figured it wouldn't cost 40% of the grand total when you buy a game.

I guess it could easily be.

Saken

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm a pirate, but if i'm going to buy something with money, i'd rather have a physical copy of it... data can easily be destroyed.

Gwaith

Trophies
Website
www.die2nite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If a huge digital distribution company like Steam can't / won't price new releases under the retail price, then I'm pretty sure neither can / will Sony. Older games or less favored games on the other hand might get such big price cuts I'd assume.

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay.
and consoles
Why? Why would they stop ordering a piece of hardware if it still sells and selling it would make them money? Retaliation?
They cant make the store prices more expensive so they will have to either suffer loss of console sales or drop the prices of games at retail.
People making Vita games will earn less money cause of that and the quality of games will drop.
Oh and plus the game stores will do less advertising since they wont make as much money off games.

There are a few things you're overlooking in this argument. First and foremost, we do not know which games will be offered, it might be cheaper games that are offered up on PSN with the 40% discount, thus it won't hurt retail that much. Second, we do not see the same effect on the pc. Downloading retail games is getting more and more popular, but physical copies are still selling like hot cakes. Lastly, there will always be people that prefer a physical copy over a digital one regardless of the price, and if there's a demand, there will be supply.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm a pirate, but if i'm going to buy something with money, i'd rather have a physical copy of it... data can easily be destroyed.

it can "easily be destroyed", however digital copies are linked to your PSN account...thus you can destroy it all you want and always be able to download it.

The big thing this stops (as was said) is buying games used, as well as it even stops people physically sharing games with each other. So, you see your friend playing a sweet game on his Vita...you can't just borrow it unless your friend lets you borrow his entire vita. So you need to go buy it yourself.

If a huge digital distribution company like Steam can't / won't price new releases under the retail price, then I'm pretty sure neither can / will Sony. Older games or less favored games on the other hand might get such big price cuts I'd assume.

It's no so much "can't" as it is "don't feel like it" i'm sure (not to mention Steam already does massive sales), and also as I explained above, one big thing for this is killing used/shared games. I've never seen a game store carry used PC games, since they come with a 1 time CDkey. So it's been established for a while that you can't buy used PC games.

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
So can physical copies?
What's stopping someone from breaking your discs right now.

At least you'd be able to redownload your purchase, YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A DIS- owait

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Okay.
and consoles
Oh wait. Stores like Gamestop can sell games even at -50% RRP and still make a profit? Sometimes even at -75% and still make profit? Can it be that games aren't originally priced like the RRP when a company buys copies of it? Bah it's not just that simple to say that something isn't possible. This situation reminds me of how record labels are complaining about CD sales when digital sales are going up like hot cakes (and have been for quite a while). Some people will buy physical copies regardless of the price and some people just want easy access ie. digital downloads..

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So can physical copies?
What's stopping someone from breaking your discs right now.

At least you'd be able to redownload your purchase, YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A DIS- owait
Dissidia ?

Reactions: 2 people

Gwaith

Trophies
Website
www.die2nite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The

It's no so much "can't" as it is "don't feel like it" i'm sure (not to mention Steam already does massive sales), and also as I explained above, one big thing for this is killing used/shared games. I've never seen a game store carry used PC games, since they come with a 1 time CDkey. So it's been established for a while that you can't buy used PC games.

First of all, steam sales never include newly released games (at least not to my knowledge), but rather recent to old games, which is nothing unusual since older games prices drop in stores as well (although not as much as in steam sales). I don't doubt the possibility of older Vita games being up to 40% off on PSN, but such a steep discount for brand new games seems unlikely to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.