Prototype DS firmware dumped, included blood type selection, different startup sound

dsdsdsdsds.png

The prototype leaks aren't stopping anytime soon. Preservation group Forest of Illusion has dumped and shared a piece of Nintendo DS history, with a very early prototype firmware for the handheld. Noted as version 0.40615, it has quite a few differences from the final result that we're all accustomed to. At this point in development, there wasn't a DS boot screen added yet, so when starting the system, it shows the GBA boot-up logo instead, with a sound byte of children all yelling "Nintendo!". Additionally, you can set your system nickname and birthday, much like in the retail release, but at one point, Nintendo was going to let users set their blood type--something that is used as a way as sharing personality types in Japan.

Thejax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’d expect a modern Nintendo console to require a blood test when launching a game to confirm you own the cart

Edit:
Also I swear I don’t know my blood type and no one in my family does. My birth certificate has space for “blood type” but it was never filled in

• Haha
Reactions: impeeza

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is diseased. There's no reason for this unless there a) was a game that cared about your blood type, or b) so you can have your blood type displayed online in games with multiplayer, or other apps with internet functionality.

But also I wonder if maybe this was simply a way for Nintendo to track the gaming habits for each blood type. So rather than simply a releasing a game and seeing if it sells well or not, they can find out which blood types are buying it, which could be useful when deciding future releases or something I dunno? Hilarious they would expect you to know your blood type though. Even I don't. (Despite the Covid pandemic, when for a while I thought it would be useful to know your blood type before being vaccinated.. Why did I think this, again?)

There is a game Destiny Connect on the Switch which had loading screen blurbs showing the blood types of characters. It's really diseased. The game is not even set in Japan.
Like what's already said, it's because blood type is basically the Japanese equivalent of astrology. This is why you see it listed for game, manga, and anime characters. You really should know your blood type in case of an emergency, and even aside from the pseudoscience stuff, having an option to set that on the console would be a good way to get kids to memorize that.

Reactions: Blythe93 and Thejax

JaNDeRPeiCH

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
👨‍⚕️This man has been a serious car crash, quick check his personal information on his DS!

Doctor, it says here he has a 250 hour save file on The Sims Bustin' Out.

👨‍⚕️Pull the plug, he's not worth saving
What happens if i have 250 hour playing "The World Ends From you" from Square Enix? xD lol

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like what's already said, it's because blood type is basically the Japanese equivalent of astrology. This is why you see it listed for game, manga, and anime characters. You really should know your blood type in case of an emergency, and even aside from the pseudoscience stuff, having an option to set that on the console would be a good way to get kids to memorize that.

"it's because blood type is basically the Japanese equivalent of astrology" so I hear. But that doesn't make it not dumb. I'd bet there are plenty of Japanese people who are embarrassed by their nation's overemphasis on blood type as it makes them look overly superstitious to the rest of the world.

P.S. You may be right that it would be handy to know our blood types for medical reasons. Sadly I don't even know how to go about finding out what mine is. =/

Welshgamer101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really need to catch up on the great stuff i missed last couple weeks, due to being ill then xmas, family and now I night that prob end up a blur and couple days hang over.. Oh to be young again and not know what a hang over was !! ;)
Post automatically merged:

I really need to catch up on the great stuff i missed last couple weeks, due to being ill then xmas, family and now I night that prob end up a blur and couple days hang over.. Oh to be young again when this was around and not know what a hang over was !! ;)

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
P.S. You may be right that it would be handy to know our blood types for medical reasons. Sadly I don't even know how to go about finding out what mine is. =/
Usually the easiest way without getting yourself on operating table is becoming a blood donor. When donating they test (have to!) your blood type.

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
@Jayro I don't think anyone answered your question about running software on this, so yes, you can run stuff.

I've gotten all my flashcarts to work, and I've tested just about all of my games. I haven't experienced issues with the games themselves yet.

This doesn't mean everything works properly though. The touchscreen configuration on 040615 isn't compatible with anything but the firmware (all other programs only detect input as being on the top rightmost point), and wireless is broken when flashing 40820D. Wireless might be broken with 040615 as well, but I don't want to sacrifice another wifi card to test.

Also someone else (FAST I think) in another thread asked about the birthday jingle on startup. That does not happen.

As mentioned above, I wrote a little guide on flashing the firmware to real hardware, so I recommend trying it out for more questions. (unless you understandably don't want to permanently kill your wireless. It'll stay broken even after flashing retail firmware back)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/flashing-prototype-ds-firmware-on-real-hardware.623680/

Hope this helps!

Last edited by rvtr,
  • Love

Ducolamia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird thought, but I think the prototype looks rather cute! I like the color scheme and wouldn't mind getting an official DS in this color palette. That and the rounded dpad looks rather comfy.

That being said, the blood type stuff isn't too weird in retrospect as even if you aren't Japanese, the OG DS did have a focus on personalization. I loved messing around with the basic set-up as a kid.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Zodiacs.. Saint Seiya.
I thought that maybe Saint Super Saiyan.
Post automatically merged:

There are several blood type systems: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_blood_group_systems

The most common and standardized by ISO is the ABO blood type, in which there are four blood types: A, B, AB & O and is complemented with the RH classification, which can be positive + or negative - (or nonexistent -RH null-: the golden blood), so for the ABO + RH blood types we have:
A-
A+
B-
B+
AB-
AB+
0-
0+
Null RH

At my country some people used to call the blood type O "zero" but that become on disuse to avoid confussion with AIDS test terms which can be zero positive or zero negative.
Do you mean that Rh- is none existent? Well it’s very rare of what I heard from reinterpreting words of my own mom as far as I remember she told me that I had a mark genetical scar in the head since I was born after that similarly for instance nowadays to Harry Potter…etc. It seems also what I also heard that probably possibly my own ancestors were aliens from outer space.

I hope it won’t be removed without any digital trace.
Accusing me of shitposting,clickbaiting,trolling,spamming…etc. From moderators and administrators of this very forum.

Something something ancient,mythical royal thingy stuff…etc.

Last edited by Luke94,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...