Hacking Proper way to upgrade to 4.3U w/ HBC from older firmware?

gumbyx84

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Messages
577
Trophies
1
XP
680
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been asked before, but most of the topics I've found are out of date.

I recently picked up Kirby's Epic Yarn and turned on my Wii for the first time since Monster Hunter Tri came out. I got a message about upgrading to firmware 4.3, so I jumped online and did a bit of research. I found a bunch of update methods, but can't figure out which is "right". I also read that one of the older methods (boot2 I think) actually caused systems to brick. I was going to use HackMii, but the instructions seem out of date and are unclear. Due to being out of the homebrew scene for awhile (and paranoid), I decided to come here and ask for some help before doing anything. So, what is the "proper" method to get 4.3 installed on my Wii while retaining Homebrew support?

I can get Epic Yarn to play by launching it in Gecko OS, so that's not the problem. I just want to be able to access the Shop channel and not worry about someone (my brother for example) installing an update and locking me out of HBC, or worse, bricking the system.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who can help me out.
 

Sao Mortel

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2008
Messages
533
Trophies
0
Age
40
Location
Montreal
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
128
Country
Canada
Modmii will get you up to date. Just tell it your wii is virgin (even if its not) and follow the guide it will give you.

Priiloader (included in modmii ) is the program that will keep someone from updating and bootmii (also included) from bricking permanently.
 

gumbyx84

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Messages
577
Trophies
1
XP
680
Country
United States
It looks like ModMii want you to downgrade your firmware. Everything I have read says that is bad. Is there any reason why its not anymore?

I did some more research and WiiBrew recommends you install HackMii and then upgrade to 4.3U. Does this actually work? If so, which version of BootMii should i install: boot2, IOS, or both?
 

koji2009

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
1,193
Trophies
0
XP
197
Country
United States
Wiibrew "recommends" that method because it's the least pirate friendly... Wiibrew owners want you to have a harder time pirating games.

You don't ever have to upgrade your system menu, a good bet is simply running the game through neogamma or use priiloader to disable the update check. You may need to install IOS related to the game, but you're better off doing that with MMM.


And yes, you don't ever need to downgrade your firmware either.
 

Lacius

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
May 11, 2008
Messages
18,100
Trophies
2
XP
18,251
Country
United States
gumbyx84 said:
I did some more research and WiiBrew recommends you install HackMii and then upgrade to 4.3U. Does this actually work? If so, which version of BootMii should i install: boot2, IOS, or both?
There is nothing wrong with doing it this way. If you can, install BootMii as both boot2 and IOS. Also, make sure you have IOS236 installed before you update to 4.3 so you can easily reinstall things like cIOS249.

Edit: Also, if you are afraid of your brother accidentally updating and/or bricking your console, Priiloader with hacks might be worth installing.
Double edit: It is also worth noting that the reason for using the HackMii installer before updating to 4.3 is because the latest version of the Homebrew Channel (1.0.8) is immune to the 4.3 update. BootMii is just recommended.

QUOTE(koji2009 @ Nov 11 2010, 09:56 PM) Wiibrew "recommends" that method because it's the least pirate friendly... Wiibrew owners want you to have a harder time pirating games.

You don't ever have to upgrade your system menu, a good bet is simply running the game through neogamma or use priiloader to disable the update check. You may need to install IOS related to the game, but you're better off doing that with MMM.


And yes, you don't ever need to downgrade your firmware either.
This is true, but he wants to be able to use the Shop Channel.
 

tueidj

I R Expert
Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2009
Messages
2,569
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
999
Country
koji2009 said:
Wiibrew "recommends" that method because it's the least pirate friendly... Wiibrew owners want you to have a harder time pirating games.

No, it's because waninkoko's updaters have bricked a lot of people but noobs keeps using them anyway.
 

gumbyx84

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Messages
577
Trophies
1
XP
680
Country
United States
Lacius said:
gumbyx84 said:
I did some more research and WiiBrew recommends you install HackMii and then upgrade to 4.3U. Does this actually work? If so, which version of BootMii should i install: boot2, IOS, or both?
There is nothing wrong with doing it this way. If you can, install BootMii as both boot2 and IOS. Also, make sure you have IOS236 installed before you update to 4.3 so you can easily reinstall things like cIOS249.

This is what I was mostly confused about. I have a first-run Wii, so I can install both. I don't plan on bricking my Wii anytime soon, but its better to be safe then sorry. I'll have HBC installed, so I guess I can use any IOS installer or BootMii to install cIOS249.

Lacius said:
Edit: Also, if you are afraid of your brother accidentally updating and/or bricking your console, Priiloader with hacks might be worth installing.
I'll probably also install Priiloader so I don't have to worry about forced updates. Which hacks should I install?

QUOTE(Lacius @ Nov 11 2010, 11:00 PM) QUOTE(koji2009 @ Nov 11 2010, 09:56 PM)
You don't ever have to upgrade your system menu, a good bet is simply running the game through neogamma or use priiloader to disable the update check. You may need to install IOS related to the game, but you're better off doing that with MMM.
This is true, but he wants to be able to use the Shop Channel.
Yes I do want the Shop Channel and the other official channels. That's the only reason I am bothering to upgrade from 3.2 (I'd only have to worry about installing updated IOSs using GeckoOS).

One other question: HackMii has an option to "prepare the SD card". I read here that you need select this option to be able to install BootMii. Will this wipe my SD card? I have it setup with homebrew ATM and don't want to loss anything.
 

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2006
Messages
880
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
283
Country
tueidj said:
koji2009 said:
Wiibrew "recommends" that method because it's the least pirate friendly... Wiibrew owners want you to have a harder time pirating games.

No, it's because waninkoko's updaters have bricked a lot of people but noobs keeps using them anyway.

x2. The safest way to update for Noobs is through ninty and not through Wan Updaters. However Modmii is a good alternative too.
 

Lacius

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
May 11, 2008
Messages
18,100
Trophies
2
XP
18,251
Country
United States
gumbyx84 said:
This is what I was mostly confused about. I have a first-run Wii, so I can install both. I don't plan on bricking my Wii anytime soon, but its better to be safe then sorry. I'll have HBC installed, so I guess I can use any IOS installer or BootMii to install cIOS249.
Install BootMii as both IOS and boot2, install the latest Homebrew Channel (1.0.8), and install IOS236 with Trucha Bug Restorer or IOS236 Installer. After doing these things, you can update to 4.3. After updating, you will want to reinstall IOS249 (rev20, base 56) if you use it, IOS 202, 222, 223, and 224 if you use them, and you will want to trucha patch IOS80 if you install WiiWare games and whatnot. I also recommend patching IOS36 even though you have IOS236.

gumbyx84 said:
I'll probably also install Priiloader so I don't have to worry about forced updates. Which hacks should I install?
While many of the hacks are useful, you obviously want to block disc and online updates.
http://gbatemp.net/t237575-4-1x-4-2x-4-3x-hacks-ini

QUOTE(gumbyx84 @ Nov 11 2010, 10:36 PM)
One other question: HackMii has an option to "prepare the SD card". I read here that you need select this option to be able to install BootMii. Will this wipe my SD card? I have it setup with homebrew ATM and don't want to loss anything.
HackMii automatically prepares your SD card when you install BootMii and IOS and boot2. This will not wipe your SD card. After making a NAND backup, you might want to delete the bootmii folder from your SD card.
 

gumbyx84

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Messages
577
Trophies
1
XP
680
Country
United States
Lacius said:
gumbyx84 said:
This is what I was mostly confused about. I have a first-run Wii, so I can install both. I don't plan on bricking my Wii anytime soon, but its better to be safe then sorry. I'll have HBC installed, so I guess I can use any IOS installer or BootMii to install cIOS249.
Install BootMii as both IOS and boot2, install the latest Homebrew Channel (1.0.8), and install IOS236 with Trucha Bug Restorer or IOS236 Installer. After doing these things, you can update to 4.3. After updating, you will want to reinstall IOS249 (rev20, base 56) if you use it, IOS 202, 222, 223, and 224 if you use them, and you will want to trucha patch IOS80 if you install WiiWare games and whatnot. I also recommend patching IOS36 even though you have IOS236.

No offense, but how the heck am I supposed to know if I need those IOSs? Do I just have to try and figure out what Homebrew apps uses those IOS or is there a list somewhere?

Thanks for the clarification on prepping the SD card for HackMii.
 

Lacius

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
May 11, 2008
Messages
18,100
Trophies
2
XP
18,251
Country
United States
gumbyx84 said:
No offense, but how the heck am I supposed to know if I need those IOSs? Do I just have to try and figure out what Homebrew apps uses those IOS or is there a list somewhere?
IOS249 is used for running backups. If you plan on running backups via a disc loader (NeoGamma) or a USB loader (Configurable USB Loader), then you will want IOS249 installed. The installer for IOS249 can be downloaded here and should be installed using IOS56 as a base.

IOS202 gives MPlayer CE USB 2.0 support if you play videos off a USB hard drive, and IOS222-224 are all alternatives to IOS249 for backup-loading. Hermes cIOS installer can be found here. IOS202 should use IOS60 as a base, IOS222 should use IOS38 as a base, IOS223 should use IOS37 as a base, and IOS224 should use IOS57 as a base.
 

gumbyx84

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Messages
577
Trophies
1
XP
680
Country
United States
..... Sadly more confused. You mention using another IOS as a "base", so I take it I have to create these IOSes myself. Also, can't seem to find "current" versions of some of the IOSes you mentioned. I'm gona have to do some research on this. Don't remember it being this hard originally. >.< Wish there was a resource with all this stuff (patching apps, installers, instructions) in one place.

Thank again for your help Lacius.
 

Lacius

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
May 11, 2008
Messages
18,100
Trophies
2
XP
18,251
Country
United States
gumbyx84 said:
..... Sadly more confused. You mention using another IOS as a "base", so I take it I have to create these IOSes myself. Also, can't seem to find "current" versions of some of the IOSes you mentioned. I'm gona have to do some research on this. Don't remember it being this hard originally. >.< Wish there was a resource with all this stuff (patching apps, installers, instructions) in one place.

Thank again for your help Lacius.
Each of the installers I linked to have the option to download these IOSes automatically over the internet.
 

gumbyx84

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Messages
577
Trophies
1
XP
680
Country
United States
Oh ok. Sorry Lacius. >.< when you mentioned base I got slightly worried I'd have to do some modifying on my PC (maybe using ModMii) and didnt see any info at the links. I dont see clear instructions, I panic.

Still wish there was a resource somewhere that explained it fully. Then stupid people like me don't have to harass helpful people like you.
 

koji2009

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
1,193
Trophies
0
XP
197
Country
United States

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2010
Messages
963
Trophies
0
Age
36
Location
N. Carolina
XP
1,326
Country
United States
Download the latest version of DOP-Mii. I understand its WiiBrew edition, but it will upgrade your system menu and install IOS 80. That's it (not in that order). That's the way I did it, and its safe.
 

You may also like...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3N1 @ K3N1: The "annoying" Jdbye