[Project] Hacking games to remove year from title screen!

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
https://github.com/llakssz/Timeless-ROM-Hacks

I just though it was be an interesting project :)
A collection (that will grow) of patches/rom hacks I made that remove the year from the title screen on games.

If anyone has any requests, let me know. But yeah I can see this might not be the most useful thing...!

Pokemon%20-%20Crystal%20Version%20(UE)%20(V1.1)%20[C][!].png

Pocket%20Bomberman%20(U)%20[S].png

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While this easily falls under "do what makes you happy as long as you are not hurting others" I do have to ask why?

I can see it being a nice thought/practical exercise to get people into title screen hacking (and by extension everything else), possibly by itself and definitely as a "challenge"* to be able to edit each and every part (sometimes the year text is text, other times it is other graphics -- see both of those with very different fonts).
As a practical affair though I don't get it; I get a bit of customisation of the pokemon screen, and I certainly get making the logo either the Japanese one or in the style of when the translation crew just did a plain "me just use times new roman" approach, however this is an odd one to me.

*I wonder if such things would be worth adding to the next revision of my hacking guide. Hmm.

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
While this easily falls under "do what makes you happy as long as you are not hurting others" I do have to ask why?
Just in case I one day hear, "Daddy, this game's too old". :)

consider it like a crossword puzzle or something, probably the problem solving aspect is good for your brain. sometimes the puzzle will be easy, sometimes tricky, but rarely taking more than 30 minutes.
this hack idea is something which is obtainable for most games.

maybe it would be worthwhile to hack more games to make them 'casual', similar to what I did here https://jtm.gg/trip-world-gameboy-hack/
that is more enjoyable for people I guess! (although I know, a tiny amount of people)

Last edited by cearp,
Reactions: Ryccardo

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Well you should ADD to it, after all one of my favorite NES games was made in "1992 1" ;)
oh certainly, I'll add more! of course, others can contribute too.

I've never edited NES or SNES though. I tried a Mega Drive/Genesis game today, and the tools I could find were not even close to what bgb or no$gba provide.
Just editing the graphics in a tile editor would most likely work for many games, but I consider than cheating, I enjoy the hacking part :ninja:

Last edited by cearp,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just in case I one day hear, "Daddy, this game's too old". :)

consider it like a crossword puzzle or something, probably the problem solving aspect is good for your brain. sometimes the puzzle will be easy, sometimes tricky, but rarely taking more than 30 minutes.
this hack idea is something which is obtainable for most games.

maybe it would be worthwhile to hack more games to make them 'casual', similar to what I did here https://jtm.gg/trip-world-gameboy-hack/
that is more enjoyable for people I guess! (although I know, a tiny amount of people)

I had something similar once where I would pull apart games, though I did not do much publicly with it in the end and mostly shoved things in the release thread.

That said if my hypothetical kid can read numbers but lacks the pattern recognition to tell old pixel art then something has gone wrong somewhere. Likewise "good thing this one is timeless then" is probably going to be my response there.

Again though do what makes you happy. If you want to use it as the ROM hacking equivalent of hackmes to keep skills sharp or maybe possibly learn a new one if it is a fun animated thing, odd compression or odd graphics format then more power to you.

Reactions: cearp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1