Not open for further replies.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd imagine a lot of kids go on this site. (I should know; I'm 14.)
Kids shouldn't be exposed to swear words. (They are regardless, but still.)
However, right now there is no stopping people from swearing.
The solution: a filter.
I'm not saying this should be unchangeable, but at the very least, there should be an option to turn one on in the settings.
A good example of how this could work is like with Super Mario Boards. There, you can toggle a filter that replaces all profanities with *bleep*. I don't know whether it's automatically on no matter what or if it only instantly turns on when you're under 13 (like I was when I signed up), but I can confirm that it can be turned on and off.
It seems like the most amazing idea for forums since BBcode.

Reactions: zoogie

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
When I was a kid, I hated seeing profanity. Still, to this day, I'm not a fan of it, but that's my preference. I think the best way is to just adjust to seeing such words, as it will be a constant through your life. Some people just enjoy using profanity in normal everyday conversation, and you can't just play an airhorn whenever they speak to drown it out.

To this day, I myself don't swear or use profanities. I take a small bit of pride in my own actions, rather than being affected by others' usage of them.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A$$.... see how that would make censorship useless. I play a mobile game called King's Raid despite it being a Korean made game it actually has a profanity/lewd filter for its chat.
All we have to do is add dots in between the letters to get the word out. Funny thing about word filtering is that it can affect normal words, "Raid" is censored in King's Raid :rofl2:b/c it thinks we are trying to say aids.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Did I ever say the censorship had to be strong?
don't get riled up, I'm just pointing out that if you want to protect people from swearing you either do it or just don't bother what's the point in changing messaged to " I F*****g hate you you fukin p***k" either you block it all or you fail your task anyway, there is only so much you can do before poor old dick gets banned for his name and you can't explain how the nob fell off your console (inb4 its "knob," i know)

its going to happen regardless, its not that i want people who dont like seeing swearing seeing it, its just that its completely impractical unless you go for sledgehammer censoring

Last edited by gamesquest1,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I'd imagine a lot of kids go on this site. (I should know; I'm 14.)
Kids shouldn't be exposed to swear words. (They are regardless, but still.)
However, right now there is no stopping people from swearing.
The solution: a filter.
I'm not saying this should be unchangeable, but at the very least, there should be an option to turn one on in the settings.
A good example of how this could work is like with Super Mario Boards. There, you can toggle a filter that replaces all profanities with *bleep*. I don't know whether it's automatically on no matter what or if it only instantly turns on when you're under 13 (like I was when I signed up), but I can confirm that it can be turned on and off.
It seems like the most amazing idea for forums since BBcode.
Fork you, you brother chucking, dog scamming son of a switch!

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the funniest post in this thread thus far.
When I was a kid, I hated seeing profanity. Still, to this day, I'm not a fan of it, but that's my preference. I think the best way is to just adjust to seeing such words, as it will be a constant through your life. Some people just enjoy using profanity in normal everyday conversation, and you can't just play an airhorn whenever they speak to drown it out.

To this day, I myself don't swear or use profanities. I take a small bit of pride in my own actions, rather than being affected by others' usage of them.
don't get riled up, I'm just pointing out that if you want to protect people from swearing you either do it or just don't bother what's the point in changing messaged to " I F*****g hate you you fukin p***k" either you block it all or you fail your task anyway, there is only so much you can do before poor old dick gets banned for his name and you can't explain how the nob fell off your console (inb4 its "knob," i know)

its going to happen regardless, its not that i want people who dont like seeing swearing seeing it, its just that its completely impractical unless you go for sledgehammer censoring
You two have me beat. I agree with both of you. While I'd love there to be what I've recommended, there is only so much I can do before I give in.

Also my dad just came home from work and I'm gonna go say hi.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
+1 just for reminding me that this fuckin' gem of a video exists.

Swearing is hardly the worst thing that you could witness on a forum though.
For the rest of the world it must be quite funny and slightly shocking. Here it's how every mum speaks to their children lol.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My favourite "why the profanity filter will never work" bit
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/03/bofh_2005_episode_18/

On a different note my second hand book buying (actually being given as the stall was packing up and they did not want it) session the other week saw me get a copy of Roger's Profanisaurus - The Magna Farta.

One random selection, and if we are continuing with the Scottish thing (while my family fucked off from Scotland two or so generations ago, along with most of its wealth and old furniture, I still have a very Scottish surname if I care to use it so I will play that card) the page included one. It would then be rude not to really

Tightie n. Scot medic. The feeling of discomfort experienced when attempting to peel back the fiveskin due to it being stuck to the helmet with cheese. Possibly something to do with the humid atmosphere found inside a kilt.

Certainly puts rightie tightie, leftie loosie into perspective.

Ha the op complains about swear words then you go and use one that is considered medium on this list thats a fucking shocking act from a staff member your should be ashamed of yourself :rofl2:. (just joking I just wanted to swear)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indy100.com/article/british-swear-words-ranked-ofcom-7340446?amp

That gets even more fun if we have to filter it by septic and actual English.
My grandmother (born and raised around world war 2 in the UK) once got most upset at my grandfather (an American, in America at the time) for telling his bank he was pissed off with their service/an action they had taken. Apparently in the US it is a rather milder phrase. Maybe they took all the would be offence from various words and piled it onto poor old cunt instead (which I of course feign complete ignorance about whenever I am there)

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

T_T I'm sorry I swear around you so often

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So you won't admit this is funny? :creep:

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Look at all the sheep here, lol. All you guys supporting profanity. Not me. I'm a rebel. Me and 1 other person voted yes. We are true punk rock. We go against the majority. We don't curse because we are rebelious unlike all you sheep, baa.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Look at all the sheep here, lol. All you guys supporting profanity. Not me. I'm a rebel. Me and 1 other person voted yes. We are true punk rock. We go against the majority. We don't curse because we are rebelious unlike all you sheep, baa.
Congratufuckinglations you fucking cockstain of a rebel lol.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tend to avoid using profanity, but that's very much a personal preference. Profanity filters are stupid and why I can't use my handle some places because ku****er. A large part of life is learning to tolerate and even appreciate the actions and beliefs of other people, even if you wouldn't personally do the things they do. Sometimes, it's merely about tolerating the things other people do. And sometimes, it's about realizing that it's okay to use curse words from time to time; the notion of actual curse words is at best silly and at worst questionable superstition.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
FUCK no. Swear filters are a FUCKING nuisance that will be circumvented anyways, not to mention they censor free speech. Basically, they're FUCKING annoying and FUCKING pointless.
I can understand if a filter is implemented on your Club Penguin game, but I doubt that a swear filter would be added here.

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get more uncomfortable reading sentences like these than I do the actually intended words. When someone does this (I know you did it purposely), I cringe just as much as when I see a kid doing Fortnite dances in public because we all know what the original words were, but are forced to read them like a not-so-secret code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.