eeL20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hello,
I'm having problems installing any sort of apps/games on an external USB drive (1tb with the y cable).
-if I use WUP Installer GX2, it gets stuck at 0.0/0.0MB while still having the background and music running and I have to force shut down
-if I use WUP Installer Y mod, it constantly loops between the black-white screen of the app and the "Wii U Menu" pop-up and I have to force shut down

I have tried
- using multiple SD cards
- changing the drive ports around
- using installs from different sources (utikdownloader and usb helper)

I can't try installing to the nand, its full and none of the games i want to install can fit there
It was possible to install games on the USB drive before and I'm still able to copy data to it.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did u tryed only having the WiiU hdd pluged in? Remove everything else. Because if i try to install something and another drive is pluged in, the installation fails everytime.
Be sure the HDD gets enough power over the Y-Cable. Maybe its broken. Or the WiiU HDD has a failur.

Last edited by Sypherone,
Reactions: Kopimist

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Kopimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
I'm having problems installing any sort of apps/games on an external USB drive (1tb with the y cable).
-if I use WUP Installer GX2, it gets stuck at 0.0/0.0MB while still having the background and music running and I have to force shut down
-if I use WUP Installer Y mod, it constantly loops between the black-white screen of the app and the "Wii U Menu" pop-up and I have to force shut down

I have tried
- using multiple SD cards
- changing the drive ports around
- using installs from different sources (utikdownloader and usb helper)

I can't try installing to the nand, its full and none of the games i want to install can fit there
It was possible to install games on the USB drive before and I'm still able to copy data to it.
I assume you're using some sort of CFW like Mocha, CBHC or Tiramisu? This is a requirement in order to install content with WUP installer

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I will think he runs a cfw. If he runs Haxchi by default he could try running temporary mocha instead.
Entering the bootmenu of CBHC by holding home button when "Autobooting..." appears. Then choosing mocha.
(SD://wiiu/apps/mocha/mocha.elf)

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok, Tiramisu is based on Mocha and the autoboot menu is based on CBHC. Eliminate each possible source of failer.
- Verify that the signature patch is fine. https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/tiramisu/sd-preparation
- Check Sd Card for Errors. Powershell with chkdsk /f command or even with h2wtest.
- Verify that the gamefile is fine. Redownload if possible check Hash value.
- Maybe there is an transfer Error by copying the file to the SDCard. Take or calculate Hash Value.
Copy only one install-file to the SDCard to try installing it with Wupinstaller.​
Compare the Hash value calculated on the SDCard from the install-file again.​
Use the Eject SDCard function of the Windows/Linux System.​
- Wich Version of Wup installers do u use? Run the Wup Installer over the Homebrew Launcher
Wup installer GX - Latest is v.1.3 r21 (2018) https://sourceforge.net/p/wup-installer-gx2/code/21/
Wup installer Y-Mod - Latest is v1.3 (2016) https://github.com/Yardape8000/wupinstaller/releases/tag/y1.3
If u run a installed version u need uninstall the previous version because the Title ID changed.​

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What happens if you use NUSspli?
Also did you try to connect the power-only end of the Y-cable to a powerfull wall charger?

//EDIT: Before some people say this is shameless marketing disguised as support: No, it isn't! The reason for me to bring NUSspli onto the table is:
  • WUP Installer GX2 is in my eyes a broken piece of garbage. So it freaking out isn't something I would look into.
  • WUP Installer Y-Mod seems way more stable and I know the issue here is that this loops endlessly: https://github.com/Yardape8000/wupinstaller/blob/master/src/main.c#L572-L576 - I don't know the codes good enough to tell why it loops through.
  • NUSspli on the other hand is written by me. So seeing how it reacts to the problem might give a deeper look onto the issue.
Anyway, all of this is useless as long as the OP didn't try a better power source: As others stated multiple times the issue might simply be the drive peaking above 1 A, so more than 2 USB ports of the Wii U are able to deliver.

Last edited by V10lator,

eeL20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
What happens if you use NUSspli?
Also did you try to connect the power-only end of the Y-cable to a powerfull wall charger?

//EDIT: Before some people say this is shameless marketing disguised as support: No, it isn't! The reason for me to bring NUSspli onto the table is:
  • WUP Installer GX2 is in my eyes a broken piece of garbage. So it freaking out isn't something I would look into.
  • WUP Installer Y-Mod seems way more stable and I know the issue here is that this loops endlessly: https://github.com/Yardape8000/wupinstaller/blob/master/src/main.c#L572-L576 - I don't know the codes good enough to tell why it loops through.
  • NUSspli on the other hand is written by me. So seeing how it reacts to the problem might give a deeper look onto the issue.
Anyway, all of this is useless as long as the OP didn't try a better power source: As others stated multiple times the issue might simply be the drive peaking above 1 A, so more than 2 USB ports of the Wii U are able to deliver.
1. I tried to connect the power-only end cable into my phone charger to plug it into a wall, it didnt change much
2. NUSspli did help a lot, i guess? It said "files corrupt" on any game on my sd card, im trying to get a game to download but the speed is sooo bad (1mb/s), ill let you know soon

eeL20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
well i tried to download a game from NUSspli (download to SD) and when i looked to install it (install to USB) it said "files corrupt" ?

marmaliser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How long is your Y cable? Had a lot of problems with Y Cables over 30cm and also failures if Drive laid on top of Wii u console (including slow downloads via Nusspli)

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thats a nice suggestion. The Wireless lan antenna is set on top in the back of the WiiU. I read someone else who had Problems because of blocking the Signal with laying the HDD on top.

eeL20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
How long is your Y cable? Had a lot of problems with Y Cables over 30cm and also failures if Drive laid on top of Wii u console (including slow downloads via Nusspli)
its around 60 and yes,its not on top of the wiiu, ive read that issue too

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I tried to connect the power-only end cable into my phone charger to plug it into a wall, it didnt change much
When I say a powerfull wall charger I mean something you would use to power an RPI, not some random phone charger. Something which is able to deliver > 2 Ampeere constant, not only for peaks.

/EDIT:
It said "files corrupt" on any game on my sd card, im trying to get a game to download but the speed is sooo bad (1mb/s), ill let you know soon
The corruption issue might be an old bug. Try https://github.com/V10lator/NUSspli/actions/runs/2646055581#artifacts (you need a github account to be able to download)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm telling