Hacking Problem Installing Mod

nexx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So i preordered a wiinja and thought i solder the wires in place ready for when it got here. All went fine up to point 5 where i noticed that the point was a bit wobbly (this was after i had put solder on it) and after trying to get a wire onto it it does indeed come off and im left with just a black spot under it which i cant get any solder to stick to.

Now my question is i know i can use a alternative, though much harder point, on the chip itself. But i was also wondering if i could just use one of these quick solder chips as the i could get the solder to stick to the chip first and then the board. So would it be possible to install say a wiikey or cyclowiz when there is a lifted pad or will i still not get good enough contact?

Thanks.

3DPiper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you need to follow the trace and solder to the next usable junction, or scrape back some of the film on the tracing enough to scab on a jumper wire..

-Matthew

nexx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah i figured that might be what i would have to do, looks a bit harder than id feel comfortable with doing though which was why i was asking if a quick solder chip might be able to sort my problem out.

The wii still works so im hoping that a quick solder chip might make it so id be able to get some contact going with the point as at the moment i cant even get solder to stick to the point.

poisonousj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
join the club
cry.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You will not get solder to stick to it easily, you best bet is to use a conductive ink pen and file back some of the lead to the chip and draw a line.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's not an exact answer to his problem, but if you can manage to do that you can probably create a solder point.

I still don't know what is causing so many people lifting the pads off.... Soldering irons too hot?

OP: What watt soldering iron were you using?

nexx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It was a 15 Watt Soldering iron. Ive put plenty of chips in other consoles i really dont know what went wrong here, i put some extra solder onto the point and then noticed after that it was a bit wobbly but didnt thing anything of it at the time and then when i went to put the wire in it just came off. The iron was hardly on the board, i just quickly melted some solder onto the point.

As the Wii is still working im guessing the point isnt totally screwed up which is why i was askinf that if i used one of the quick solder chips so i could get solder stuck to the chip first and then expand it to cover the point on the board (as i cant get solder to stick to the board at the moment) would this work? Or would i need to scrape it down?

poisonousj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was a 15 Watt Soldering iron. Ive put plenty of chips in other consoles i really dont know what went wrong here, i put some extra solder onto the point and then noticed after that it was a bit wobbly but didnt thing anything of it at the time and then when i went to put the wire in it just came off. The iron was hardly on the board, i just quickly melted some solder onto the point.

As the Wii is still working im guessing the point isnt totally screwed up which is why i was askinf that if i used one of the quick solder chips so i could get solder stuck to the chip first and then expand it to cover the point on the board (as i cant get solder to stick to the board at the moment) would this work? Or would i need to scrape it down?

same problem here, using a 15watt iron. only difference mine was point #6

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is normally soldering iron too cold/solder not hot enough (especially with these new lead free or even tin reduced ones that seem to be mandated now) and people ripping up the top layer from the weave.

@WunSick nice link although I stand by the conductive ink pen as with a bit of masking it is far less fiddly, still if you not want to follow my suggestion nexx that would definitely be the way to do it.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It is normally soldering iron too cold/solder not hot enough (especially with these new lead free or even tin reduced ones that seem to be mandated now) and people ripping up the top layer from the weave.

@WunSick nice link although I stand by the conductive ink pen as with a bit of masking it is far less fiddly, still if you not want to follow my suggestion nexx that would definitely be the way to do it.

Interesting you say it's due to the iron being too COLD. I thought it would be the iron being too hot and the pad along with the solder being attracted to the heat and going to the iron away from the board. Makes me glad I will be using a 30w iron - I have other reasons as well anyway).

After reading a post on MC about a dude that basically melted his Cyclowiz to the board using a 50w iron and the Wii still works (obviously the Cyclowiz was fried) I'm not too concerned with overheating the will board. Here's the post:
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=48999

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated