Preview GC Backup Launcher for Wii

B

BryceOne

Skyfallkavu said:
Since it isn't looking for a signature, I assume this be able to run Action replay, for use with legit games?

I know you can do AR with MIOSv4, but this thing requires V5/V6.

How does Action Replay work on Gamecube? I've seen disc images for it online. If it requires you to load Action Replay disc, then change it out to the game, then I'm pretty sure it won't work since he already stated that changing of discs wont work (Have to load 2-Disc games from the 2nd disc).

Mrkinator

Neil Peart Wannabe
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
buby78 said:
@MrK
did you use the patch for wilsoff?
I'm going to tomorrow/when I have time
laugh.gif

robiul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mrkinator said:
Here's a rough draft, I can't remember if there's anything I have to change:

I'm using a special wadder so I don't have to use the little icon
wink.gif
So once the dol comes out, I'll release this
smile.gif

Nah I prefer the other ones, drowning gamecubes

WiiGator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
JoeyGennaro said:
The link for tmd.6 doesn't work....I'm trying to get everything ready for this loader...does anybody have a working link for tmd.6? thanks....!!

MIOS v6 seems not to be available. I thought that I used it, but the tmd file I used seems not to be version 6. So just download MIOS v8. You can also download MIOS v5 or MIOS v4. There is only one version required and it makes no difference, because the MIOS is not even really started. The GC Backup Launcher takes the full control very early.

pspblender

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
do i need gamecube controller and Gamecube savegame card?

Cos i got classic controller and SD card so yh & about the GC backup launcher can i play a NTSC game on a pal wii like Force pal60 or Pal50

Cos i wanna play Smashing Drive GC Pal RS but cant find it. Only NTSC. so yh thnx

--=ZerO=--

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
pspblender said:

Cos i got classic controller and SD card so yh & about the GC backup launcher can i play a NTSC game on a pal wii like Force pal60 or Pal50

Cos i wanna play Smashing Drive GC Pal RS but cant find it. Only NTSC. so yh thnx

Yeah, u do need an cube controller and memory card to play cube games on wii.

And yeah, a tester stated that it will be region free.

@wiigator
Your links to MIOS v8 are still linking to v6!?

Frig

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
great news on a great invention
ohmy.gif

just bought pc-parts to play gc and ps2 emulators on my machine >.<
i was just searching for a working gc emulator and on my daily round looking through gbatemp and wiisos i saw the post
biggrin.gif

great work wiigator and waninkoko !
hope you release the brew with a proper installation manual
ohmy.gif

so the dump guys lilke me can follow it
ohmy.gif

robiul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny, a whole crowd from gbatemp said it was impossible to do, there were like yeh it'll happen in 1 year or never, mios is impossible to hack, threads were made "a road to gamecube back loader" and here he is Wiigator and waninokoko make a backup loader in a short fall of time behind our backs, they must've have been laughing.

TyrianCubed

Gamer 1989 to present
Trophies
Website
www.gamescollection.it
XP
Country
Italy
@WiiGator: about the memory card data loss, I remember back in the cube day that you could not have NTSC-U and NTSC-J savegames together on the same memory card or it would corrupt the data or ask you to format it. As long as you don't mix USA and JAP games you should be fine. PAL+USA=OK, PAL+JAP=OK, USA+JAP=NO

I'll wait for the release to download the v8 MIOS files, since I'm getting a bit confused with all the versions lol!

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
robiul said:
It's funny, a whole crowd from gbatemp said it was impossible to do, there were like yeh it'll happen in 1 year or never, mios is impossible to hack, threads were made "a road to gamecube back loader" and here he is Wiigator and waninokoko make a backup loader in a short fall of time behind our backs, they must've have been laughing.

Well if you would understand more, you would understand how complicated the stuff is, the 2 got to work. It not that easy as it was for wii backups, change change the Wii disc reading commands to dvd video reading commands inside the IOS. And as long as we don't get more technical details, we can only guess how it's done.

My guess(most likely wrong):
The loader reads the main.dol from the disc, patches the dvd reading commands there to dvd reading commands on IOS249, and then runs the gamecube game in Wii mode. If this was true, you could dream about ingame menus, real time saves, the classic controller as gamecube cotroller and sd card saves for gamecube games if you need something to dream about.

cr08

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
runs the gamecube game in Wii mode

While I have really high doubts this is the case (since the MIOS is the one being modified here which is strictly gamecube mode code), if it was at all possible it would be real nice since we can finally get stuff like native SD save support and network adapter support.

But between of the fact that the MIOS is being modified here and that the extra hardware registers and even slight hardware differences are enough to confuse a GC game, it's gonna be run in GC mode most likely.

blk133

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
--=ZerO=-- said:
pspblender said:

@wiigator

What if I don't want to save anything. Is it possible to play a game without a memory card? (with game cube controllers of course)

Levente

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
blk133 said:
--=ZerO=-- said:
pspblender said:

@wiigator

What if I don't want to save anything. Is it possible to play a game without a memory card? (with game cube controllers of course)

Yes it is possible, but it does not make any sense...

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Great work Wanin and Wiigator!

I'm guessing that if the launcher does a lot of extra work (as opposed to the MIOS), then disk channel loading is unlikely eh.

Awesome to hear that GC homebrew is working too
smile.gif

Oh I know it's greedy, but any possibility to fit in cheat codes?

TyrianCubed said:
@WiiGator: about the memory card data loss, I remember back in the cube day that you could not have NTSC-U and NTSC-J savegames together on the same memory card or it would corrupt the data or ask you to format it. As long as you don't mix USA and JAP games you should be fine. PAL+USA=OK, PAL+JAP=OK, USA+JAP=NO
Good thing that my memory card from DX has a switch (so it's like 2 mem cards in 1!) That way i can have PAL+JAP on one half and USA on the other (assuming that you're correct). Woot!

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cr08 said:
WiiPower said:
runs the gamecube game in Wii mode

While I have really high doubts this is the case (since the MIOS is the one being modified here which is strictly gamecube mode code), if it was at all possible it would be real nice since we can finally get stuff like native SD save support and network adapter support.

But between of the fact that the MIOS is being modified here and that the extra hardware registers and even slight hardware differences are enough to confuse a GC game, it's gonna be run in GC mode most likely.
WiiGator did say that MIOS is hardly used and that the loader takes control early in the process. We'll have to see later if that means it's actually running in Wii mode or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp