Preserve save file while downgrading? (Noob Question :P)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by CIAwesome526, Mar 14, 2015.

1. CIAwesome526
    OP

CIAwesome526 Im ugly and im proud

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    I searched around, and couldnt find anything useful. i know absolutley nothing about, this so i may be worrying about a problem that doesnt exist, but i heard there are different save encryptions or something, and i i downgrade my 3ds to 4.5 it will break it or something? i dont know... I dont want to lose all my work, but i am rarely online, and losing my saves is kind of a big deal. so if this is a real problem, how can i get around it? a program that converts the save? A cheat code program that perfectly recreates my saves? i dunno. thanks

Margen67 likes this.
  2. CIAwesome526
    OP

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    is everyone playing their n3DS gateway or are they just not here? :P

3. zero2exe

zero2exe GBAtemp Fan

Jun 23, 2012
    Cote d'Ivoire
    After system version 7.0 (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the 3DS started using a new encryption for saves so if you try to load a save created with that encryption in a system that lacks the correct key then it shows as a corrupted save. I haven't heard of any way to do the conversion between both encryptions so what most people do after downgrading is say goodbye to their saves and start new ones, since these new saves will be created with the old encryption they'll boot fine afterwards but you can't play them on a system firmware above 7.0 or they'll be corrupted again because of the encryption mismatch.

4. CIAwesome526
    OP

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    what happened when 7.0 was released, did everyone lose their saves when they update from 6.x?
    EDIT: I got the 3ds on release day and upated past 7.0, i never remember losing saves. Why is it caused now, and not then?

Margen67 likes this.
  5. Margen67

Margen67 Dirty entited pirate

Banned
    Nov 3, 2014
    United States
    What games are you trying to keep the saves in?

6. CIAwesome526
    OP

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    nSMB2, animal crossing, mario part 10 (yes, i know its bad...), and a few others which are less important, but would still prefer to keep the save.

7. zero2exe

zero2exe GBAtemp Fan

Jun 23, 2012
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Because Nintendo actually knows how to handle their own firmware better than Gateway? Why it happens is beyond my knowledge but it's been stated several times around here that saves are currently incompatible between both encryptions. Also system update =/= reflashing a nand backup.

8. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia