1. bad361

bad361 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Russia
    Overclock and try using GLES2 version, see if the performance will be better. Other than that, you have to stick with what you've got. Some games just don't run fullspeed on switch.

Last edited by bad361, May 25, 2020
  2. rinzu

rinzu Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Thank you. But I will stay away from overclocking. I will stick to gt2 on retroarch

3. bad361

Russia
    Hahah, why? All options within RA and sys-clk are completely safe. But anyway, its your choice... Just don't bother asking about performance of DC/n64/PSX/PSP emulation if you don't use OC at all.

Last edited by bad361, May 26, 2020
    Zukov likes this.
  4. Bluer

Bluer Member
    Newcomer

Poland
    I've heard about a bug in MGS Peace Walker, which blocks the game's progression in this emulator, is this bug still a thing, or it was fixed?

5. m4xw

OP m4xw Ancient Deity
    Developer

Germany
    Its not a thing on Standalone, only on the libretro core due to unknown reasons.
    Its the reason why i ported standalone, heh

6. sabin1981

sabin1981 Member
    Newcomer

Norway
    I'm having the same issue here with FFIV Complete. I've tried every single setting and option, but nothing alleviates the substantial performance drop (and audio crackling) whenever an enemy is killed. Framerate will drop like a stone during the enemy disintegration animation, then go back to normal. It doesn't do it on EVERY enemy, and seemingly size doesn't matter either. I've tried sysclk overclocking up to maximum CPU/GPU and nothing works :( Also, I've seen plenty of people mention fixing the audio popping by changing the audio latency option, but that's not there? I don't know if it was removed but there definitely isn't any latency options in PPSSPP 1.9 on the Switch.

The only option that seems to work for removing the audio popping is to disable "Audio Sync" in the Settings>Audio menu, but if anyone (m4xw for instance?) could help me troubleshoot this massive performance dip during enemy death, I'd be most grateful!

Doh... I guess that'll teach me to read EVERY page and not just the page with the search results, eh? Thanks Riggan, I'll give the RA core a try, though the last time I did I couldn't get any titles to load, just black screen in PPSSPP.

Last edited by sabin1981, Jun 7, 2020
  7. sabin1981

sabin1981 Member
    Newcomer

Norway
    Update. The RA core for PPSSPP is just as bad when it comes to framerate loss and massive audio stutter during enemy disintegration :( Some enemies are worse than others.. and beating the Octomammoth, the second boss in the game, crippled the Switch for almost 10 seconds. Also, the RA core for PPSSPP hard-freezes RA when trying to save state, something that doesn't happen in the standalone build.

I know most people would be okay with the issues, but considering how much battling there is in any given FF title, especially one with an encounter rate as high as IV, I'm just going to have to knock it on the head for now. The popping audio and system freezing/juddering during enemy death in standalone is gamebreaking (to me) and the lack of savestates and the same system performance issues in the RA core version is, likely, gamebreaking (again, to me)

Ah well. I'll keep checking as PPSSPP is updated and perhaps one day the issues will be fixed :D Is there anywhere these specific bugs can be reported? Thanks!

8. Instandhaltung

Instandhaltung I feel it. I feel the cosmos!

Germany

This is a known issue and discussed here: https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issues/7583 . Almost all battle effects in FFIV are bezier effects. Try to reduce the bezier quality to medium (low looks quite ugly), and try to overclock the cpu.

sabin1981 likes this.
  9. sabin1981

sabin1981 Member
    Newcomer

Norway
    That's great, thanks for the tip! I'll check it out, though it'll have to be on the standalone build since the RA core doesn't have the option to adjust Bezier tessellation like the standalone one :) Oh and I've tried OCing, right the way up to 1.7Ghz, no go... though the CPU core (Core 1, iirc) does peg 99.9% use during the disintegration effects, so you're definitely onto something.

10. Instandhaltung

Germany
    Oh yeah, I do use the standalone! If you want to be absolutely sure that this is the problem (although I am quite sure it is), set the bezier to low for testing. If the framerate stays smooth (with oc), then you know the issue.

sabin1981 likes this.
  11. sabin1981

sabin1981 Member
    Newcomer

Norway
    Sadly, no, the game still cripples itself during enemy deaths - regardless of the splines/bezier setting :(

12. Instandhaltung

Germany
    Hmm that's sad. Sorry I couldn't help there. I did test the game a while ago and I remember it being playable. Well then you'll have to wait or play the (not sooooo bad) GBA port :gba:

Edit: Okay so if you play the game with native res and bezier low, it should be quite playable. I just tested it myself. Even with 4 enemies disappearing at the same time.
    (https://streamable.com/vi5i4b)

Last edited by Instandhaltung, Jun 12, 2020
    sabin1981 likes this.
  13. Instandhaltung

Germany
    Edit 2: Okay big enemies tend to struggle still.

sabin1981 likes this.
  14. sabin1981

sabin1981 Member
    Newcomer

Norway
    Yup, you can fight four Goblins and be fine... then fight an alligator and two fish and see the Switch crumble to 10-15fps. The slowdown wouldn't matter so much if it wasn't for the audio turning into nightmare fuel at the same time. I've tried everything, every single option on both Standalone and Core, nothing alleviates it. Splines low vs high has literally no effect :(

Oh well, no matter. I'll just give it a miss for now, when I'm back home and at my proper PC I'll be able to play it, I guess the Switch just doesn't like this game :lol:

15. Instandhaltung

Germany
    Yeah I guess the Switch is not powerful enough. :/

sabin1981 likes this.
  16. sabin1981

sabin1981 Member
    Newcomer

Norway
    Which is odd because, let's face it, there's really nothing FFIV CC is doing that should be crumbling it so hard.. I've tried other PSP titles that all look and run much better, even with 2x PSP res. Ah well, no harm, and thank you for all your help regardless :)

17. Instandhaltung

Germany
    Yeah, I do play Monster Hunter at 3x res, something about the effects doesn't seem to work well with the emulator.

sabin1981 likes this.
  18. Jayinem81

Jayinem81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Holding down Left stick and Right stick is supposed to bring up the menu while in a game correct? It's not working for me anymore for some reason.

19. bad361

Russia
    L3 brings up the overlay menu.

20. Jayinem81

Jayinem81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I tried that too not working nothing happens. I never messed with it I don't understand.

Last edited by Jayinem81, Jun 25, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Standalone, PPSSPP, Switch