12 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. RTS

8 vote(s)
    1.5%
  10. Sandbox

15 vote(s)
    2.9%
  11. Simulation - Flying/Racing/Sports/Life etc.

11 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. Survival Horror

17 vote(s)
    3.3%
  13. Third Person Shooter

4 vote(s)
    0.8%
  14. WRPG

19 vote(s)
    3.6%
  15. Other (please specify)

34 vote(s)
    6.5%
  16. 522 voter(s)
  1. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    "Xenoblade Yawnicles" makes the cardinal mistake of giving the player freedom of movement but no direction, at least not beyond the tutorial section. You're just thrown into the world and this works fine in sandbox games like "Grand Theft Auto", but not necessarily RPG, at least this is the impression I got when I played the game (which is why I stopped). You probably weren't even supposed to be there at your level. :P

2. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I doubt the issue was that you weren't grinding, but rather you were trying go somewhere you shouldn't be (yet), or you just happened to come across a strong creature in an otherwise docile area (like those Goliaths that roam around the Gaur Plains). There are places that you'll have to come back to after you've gotten stronger and progressed in the game if you want to explore the area.

3. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada

Random encounters are crap, but some games do it properly enough that they aren't that noticeable. Typically SMT I find don't just throw dozens of random encounters at you.
    It's an old mechanic and it's not even widely used anymore, most of the more dominant jRPG series have thrown out that system. So it's not a great argument to try stand on, especially since you blew it away by noting all the ways games have fixed the issue.

Your last point is kind of a joke because I could say the same thing about Neverwinter nights. There were times I just repeatedly threw myself at the same enemies in order to level up my teammies a little bit more because I needed a skill here or there.
    Skyrim itself is one gigantic grind for pretty much every skill, there was no proper pacing at all for most of the skills.
    It's not a problem with jRPGs, it's a problem with the genre, or more specifically the player. You don't NEED to buy every item, you don't NEED that skill, you WANT those things. If you NEED them, you're probably going to want to knock the difficulty down a notch until you can play at a more competent level. Like I said, grinding is for people to make up for a lack of skill, or to get their OCD fix. I don't NEED that next lockpicking skill, but hell, I want whats in that chest, so i'll sit there and grind for it so I can do so. That's just how RPGs work, and western RPGs don't just throw everything at you at once either.
    Also just a random note but i've never played a Final Fantasy game and had a problem with money. Those games gives you fistfuls of cash if you don't blow it all on potions and phoenix downs to begin with, and considering how easy they are, you shouldn't need to. Not to mention a majority of RPGs will actually give you these items if you just continue on a little bit.

Lastly, a good RPG doesn't need to reward you with experience, or items. I'm happy doing sidequests in some jrpgs simply for the knowledge I gain from it. Tales games reveal a lot of stuff in their sidequests. Nier had a crapton of odd jobs to do and most of the time I didn't even care what they were paying me, I just wanted to get some more info out of the game. That poor doggy :(
    This is a very foreign concept in western RPGs. I can't even really name one that has lore sidequests. They're almost always slay x, find y, or go to z, and gain your exp pool, items and money...yay. Typically they have the depth of a spoon.

It's all just preference, it's easy to bitch about things western RPGs do too, but it's just redundant and pointless for both of us to continually go back and forth and poke at things one does better than the other.

4. grossaffe

United States
    I'm playing the first SMT on the SNES right now and it seems to have quite a few random encounters. Do the later games in the series tame it down?

5. PROTOBOY

PROTOBOY GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    SURVIVOR HORROR THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

6. grossaffe

United States
    it is nice to see the genre making a bit of a comeback on the PC with developers like Frictional Games. Unfortunately the consoles are pretty barren of the genre. I was really looking forward to Winter which was supposed to be developed for the Wii, but no publishers were willing to give it a chance.

7. PsyBlade

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Gambia, The
    other: roguelike (meaning: extreme replayability, high difficulty, high randomness, permadeath)
    both the classical ones (turn based dungeon crawler e.g. DC Stone Soup) and the new roguelikelikes (sic) like FTL

love the Doom rougelike DoomRL

8. zeello

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

United States
    Where's racing?

*scans poll options for a 4th time*

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - [PPOTW], video, genre