Hacking Power off completely with Atmosphere 0.8.4

  • Thread starter Thread starter 0vermind
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 18,870
  • Replies Replies 15

0vermind

New Member
Newbie
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Trophies
0
XP
157
Country
United States
Hi there!
I just installed firmware 6.2 with ChoiDujourNX using hekate_ctcaer_4.8 (AutoCRM feature enabled) and now running Atmosphere 0.8.4.
Everything seems okay so far, but I can't seem to power off the console completely. Everytime I use the 'normal' shutdown through CFW/Power Button or 'Power off' in Hekate RCM the screen turns black...but if I plug the console back in my PC, TegraRcmGUI detects an RCM device, meaning the console didn't power down completely but booted into RCM.

So how do I do this properly? I thought Atmosphere supported the 'power off through menu' since the last version? Or does this only work using firmware 7.0.1?

Thanks for your help!
 
Hi there!
I just installed firmware 6.2 with ChoiDujourNX using hekate_ctcaer_4.8 (AutoCRM feature enabled) and now running Atmosphere 0.8.4.
Everything seems okay so far, but I can't seem to power off the console completely. Everytime I use the 'normal' shutdown through CFW/Power Button or 'Power off' in Hekate RCM the screen turns black...but if I plug the console back in my PC, TegraRcmGUI detects an RCM device, meaning the console didn't power down completely but booted into RCM.

So how do I do this properly? I thought Atmosphere supported the 'power off through menu' since the last version? Or does this only work using firmware 7.0.1?

Thanks for your help!

As far as I know, 0.8.4 IS supposed to properly power off the Switch, eg. shut it down and not let it enter RCM mode through AtoRCM. But I'm still on 0.8.3 and can't confirm if this works. You can however, shut it down completely by using a homebrew like "reboot to payload", and then choosing the shutdown option from within Hekate. But keep what Lacius said in mind. Connecting the Switch to any power source will let it enter RCM if autoRCM is "installed".

There is 1 exception to this however: If you have shut down the switch using Hekate and you connect it to your pc, it won't turn on and enter auto RCM until you press the power button once.

EDIT. Just re-read your post. Are you certain that it enters AutoRCM when connected to the pc, even when you power down through Hekate??? Because mine definitely does not power on until I press the power button, if I've turned it off with Hekate.
 
Last edited by XaneTenshi,
As far as I know, 0.8.4 IS supposed to properly power off the Switch, eg. shut it down and not let it enter RCM mode through AtoRCM. But I'm still on 0.8.3 and can't confirm if this works. You can however, shut it down completely by using a homebrew like "reboot to payload", and then choosing the shutdown option from within Hekate. But keep what Lacius said in mind. Connecting the Switch to any power source will let it enter RCM if autoRCM is "installed".

There is 1 exception to this however: If you have shut down the switch using Hekate and you connect it to your pc, it won't turn on and enter auto RCM until you press the power button once.

EDIT. Just re-read your post. Are you certain that it enters AutoRCM when connected to the pc, even when you power down through Hekate??? Because mine definitely does not power on until I press the power button, if I've turned it off with Hekate.

It does turn on when connected to a power supply or computer. Just check with tegrarcmgui, it will be detected.
 
  • Like
Reactions: LapCheong
It does turn on when connected to a power supply or computer. Just check with tegrarcmgui, it will be detected.

Confirm as long as there is power source it will boot, i supposed a payload injector will work as well

However, no way to test if the shutdown really works until you power it up few hours later and see whether the battery % drops
 
Confirm as long as there is power source it will boot, i supposed a payload injector will work as well

However, no way to test if the shutdown really works until you power it up few hours later and see whether the battery % drops

no, a payload injector won't work the same way

it will actually draw power from your switch
 
I also have a question related to charging and powering off the console with Atmosphere 0.8.5 (over Hekate 4.9.1) on firmware 6.2.0.

If the console turns on automatically upon detecting a power supply (the charger to the wall or a USB cable to a computer) and AutoRCM is enabled, it means that the console will turn on to RCM and not charge. Am I right?
So, in this scenario, does the console only charges while it is either in use or in Sleep Mode?
 
Last edited by starburst,
I also have a question related to charging and powering off the console with Atmosphere 0.8.5 (over Hekate 4.9.1) on firmware 6.2.0.

If the console turns on automatically upon detecting a power supply (the charger to the wall or a USB cable to a computer) and AutoRCM is enabled, it means that the console will turn on to RCM and not charge. Am I right?
So, in this scenario, does the console only charges while it is either in use or in Sleep Mode?

No, the console will charge in RCM it just that it will be very slow. I don't think a battery bar will appear in RCM mode. So just check back like in a hour or so whether tegraRCM detects the switch if not wait a bit more.
 
No, the console will charge in RCM it just that it will be very slow. I don't think a battery bar will appear in RCM mode. So just check back like in a hour or so whether tegraRCM detects the switch if not wait a bit more.
I guess that this is relevant for a depleted battery with AutoRCM, but I was talking about normal charging. As I understand, the only way to "normally" charge the battery with AutoRCM enabled is to do it while the system is in use or in Sleep Mode. Is it not?
 
I guess that this is relevant for a depleted battery with AutoRCM, but I was talking about normal charging. As I understand, the only way to "normally" charge the battery with AutoRCM enabled is to do it while the system is in use or in Sleep Mode. Is it not?

LapCheong did answer your question, but to me more precise; Yes, with AutoRCM, the console will only charge normally while in use or when it is in sleep mode.
 
Technically you can also charge the console while its off with AutoRCM enabled. Just be sure to properly power it off before not after it is connected to a power source.
 
Confirm as long as there is power source it will boot, i supposed a payload injector will work as well

However, no way to test if the shutdown really works until you power it up few hours later and see whether the battery % drops

You wanna know if the shutdown works properly? Then do this. Connect your console,while it is in its normal function, to your computer, after that open tegraRCM. Tegra should not detect rcm because you are not in rcm right? Then power off your console using the power off button and TegraRCM shouldn't detect your console in rcm.
 
Yes, with AutoRCM, the console will only charge normally while in use or when it is in sleep mode.
Great! Thanks, mate. That is what I will do from now on to prevent any confusion. After all, the console will be in Sleep Mode most of the idle time. These days, I am powering it off multiple times to transfer new games to the SD card (I did not find an option to unmount it.)


Technically you can also charge the console while its off with AutoRCM enabled. Just be sure to properly power it off before not after it is connected to a power source.
Are you referring to the slow charging while in RCM? I meant “normal” charging. I would rather use one charging method to prevent any confusion.
 
Are you referring to the slow charging while in RCM? I meant “normal” charging. I would rather use one charging method to prevent any confusion.
No, the slow charging occurs when the console is in RCM while its plugged into a power source and you have AutoRCM enabled. What I'm referring to is having the console fully powered down while its plugged into a power source (which you can check by looking at your list of Devices). To clear up any other possible confusion, you can charge the Switch in RCM normally but AutoRCM has to be disabled.
 

Site & Scene News