Post your usrcheat.dat files here!!

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by NESticle, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    I'm glad to hear you got it worked out. [​IMG]

Did you use the cheat.dat or the usrcheat.dat or was it simply the fact that you were using 2 dats and needed to remove one?

On my card, the theme folders range from 600 to 700k each. What it the average size of each theme folder for you? I have always had Zoo Keeper, as well as Zelda (now that it's out) on my card and the cheats have always shown for them.

The question still burns......should I continue making it a usrcheat.dat or should I encrypt it to a regular cheat.dat instead? I'm thinking that if I make it a cheat.dat, it could eliminate the confusion and missing codes issue.

It's up to you guys, which way should I go with it?

2. .::5pYd3r::.

.::5pYd3r::. Viva La Pizza

Jun 2, 2007
    The GREAT Southern Land :D
    i reckon just the cheat.dat would be a lot better

3. kingjubba

kingjubba Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2007
    I was using both the old cheat.dat which came with the card and the usrcheat.dat you provided in your sig...After deleting the older cheat.dat and leaving usrcheat.dat it started working.
    My themes average around 500kb, but i try to compress the images further in photoshop so the theme is around 200kb. (they're only small images so no need for a larger filesize).

I don't know if only providing a cheat.dat in the future will make any difference. I guess it will force people to overwrite the old cheat.dat file, which may avoid the problem...but you'd have to remind people to overwrite the old file as there is no need for it.

4. Rayder

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Yeah, I'm thinking that might be better. That way, if people have some special cheats they want to use, they can leave it as their own custom usrcheat.dat. Although you should just list them out and I'd add them to my dat. [​IMG] But I understand how it is....especially in light of some of the coders getting all weird about their codes and whatnot. [​IMG]

Let's make the next few replies be a sort of vote.

Usrcheat.dat or cheat.dat? Which would you rather have as the main mega dat? It's up to you guys.

5. .::5pYd3r::.

Jun 2, 2007
    you should make a poll, it would be easier to track votes but if not i vote cheat.dat

6. HurricaneGame

HurricaneGame Member

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2006
    Netherlands
  7. kingjubba

kingjubba Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2007
    The poll would be a good idea for you Rayder...so i took the liberty of setting one up.

ONLINE POLL

8. SkH

SkH GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2006
    Algeria
    Yo, yeah!!

I always convert your USRCHEAT.DAT to CHEAT.DAT therefore I have the enwest codes and my custom ones!! ^^

NOW that would be a SMART pick on your side if you upload it as CHEAT.DAT everytime!

And a GBATemp.net Poll would be nicer... GO Rayder!!!

Oh and I can give you a big more than 1GB Webspace so you haven't got a problem with storage! [​IMG]

9. Rayder

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    OK, next time I update, it will be a cheat.dat.

10. Rayder

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    New games:
    Ratatouille (E)
    Glory Days 2 (E)
    Izuna The Legend Of The Ninja (E)

Added more codes for:
    FIFA 08 (E)

From CodeJunkies.

As of this post, I am no longer using a usrcheat.dat. It will now be an encrypted cheat.dat. When you update, please be sure to delete the old usrcheat.dat as it's no longer needed. You can now use usrcheat.dat's for yourself for own custom codes. Why you won't just PM me any codes that might be missing....I don't know, but whatever.

An encrypted cheat.dat doesn't compress as well as a usrcheat.dat does, so expect the download to be around 2megs instead of the ~200KB it used to be.

[​IMG]

11. Rayder

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Added codes for:
    Dragon Quest Monster: Joker (J)

Poorly translated from a Japanese site.

[​IMG]

12. Zeld

Zeld Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2007
    United States
    *FWOOSH*

Anyone who notices this post will either be saved from it's caustic nature by not knowing what was originally here, or look on this post with grotesque memories of a misunderstanding that has thankfully passed over. The original content of this post might as well be erased from memory, and so it has been erased from here.

Peace.

13. DSGRIM

DSGRIM GBAtemp Regular

Jul 1, 2007
    United States
    What did this Zeld guy make that he is so pissed off that people are helping others use?

14. .::5pYd3r::.

Jun 2, 2007
    ohh shutup Zeld nobody wants to listen to you

15. dreggs

dreggs Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2006
    United States
    [​IMG] awwe..you barely even talked about my post [​IMG]

First off..putting it on the web doesn't automatically mean its published. If so, who is the publisher. Yourself?

Second...You are still apparently miss-understood as to what your right are as a "code writer". You yourself are legally making your "work" public domain by not putting all information behind a password protected "pay to view" type of service. Freedom of information again. Its no different than me picking up a magazine, writing a code down, and sharing it with a friend.

Third...You hold no legal bearing upon Rayder because he isn't charging for his work (or as you claim..your work). He is making no profit, nor does he seem to have any intention on doing so...ever.

Fourth...as far as I can see (as noted in my above 2 points), you yourself have NO intention what so ever to start charging for the information posted on your site. Without this, you automatically have made your product "free to use". Since you can not prove (and at this point never can) loss of monitory compensation based on the "sharing" of your supposed "hard work".

Fifth...why would you even post codes in the first place unless you wanted people to use them? I myself could counter claim that you are guilty of entrapment. Your only purpose as it seems is to find people who are "stealing" from you in attempts to collect some type of penalty due to them simply finding the information you yourself made freely available.

and finally..sixth. There is absolutely no way you can prove that you yourself made your codes. PERIOD. Having the tools doesn't automatically make you able to use them. (I'm not claiming you didn't, but for the sake of this discussion try and see it from my point of view).

The process of code making, for the ones who have ever done it before, is not different for everyone. It is very easy, and very common that more than one person figure out the same code for a game without even knowing it. The game code doesn't change from user to user, and thus the hex values are identical. How do you claim ownership of that?

Nintendo themselves only tried suing Galoob for the Game Genie when it first came out, and only because it was a "hardware" hack in their eyes. They NEVER went out after any other publication for posting codes that they may have first released (up up down down left right left right a b select start anyone?).

Oh..and one final note...and the most obvious one. WELCOME TO THE INTERNET. Land of anonymous users! How would you even PURSUE legal action? "Hi, I am here to serve papers to "Rayder"" ? I'd love to see the headlines "zed vs rayder". You would never be able to locate him, since there is no fail safe way to learn who he REALLY is.

Hope that clears it up for you [​IMG]

16. Rayder

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA

I don't know.....he said something about an aimbot.......I guess that would be MPH since that's like the only real FPS on the DS that anyone actually plays.

meh....MPH codes were in the dat long before I started maintaining it. I don't even play that game. In fact, I don't even use 99% of the codes in the dat.

It seems like he figured out the best way to prevent his codes from being used, he just doesn't publish them anymore. Whatever. Let him horde his codes if he wants, but he shouldn't complain about codes that are already out there.....and have been out there for awhile now.

I would think he should be glad people are using and enjoying them instead of complaining about it. Why bother even making codes if not for people to use? [​IMG]

Edited to clarify who I was replying to.

Sic'em dreggs. [​IMG]

17. Zeld

Zeld Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2007
    United States
    *FWOOSH*

Anyone who notices this post will either be saved from it's caustic nature by not knowing what was originally here, or look on this post with grotesque memories of a misunderstanding that has thankfully passed over. The original content of this post might as well be erased from memory, and so it has been erased from here.

Peace.

18. bfoos

bfoos GBAtemp Fan

Dec 5, 2006
    United States
    Upstate, NY
    I'd have to disagree with that point. Sure, mem hacks won't differ, but ASM hacks surely will not be accomplished in the same way by two different people. Zeld is an accomplished hacker.

19. funwithplaydough

funwithplaydough Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2006
    United States
    because you openly post these codes on the internet for others to use and all of us "users" may be using the codes for personal or educational use make what we are doing fall under the "fair use" doctrine of the United States copyright law.

also, we have never claimed to be the authors of said codes, nor do we charge for them. Using them and distributing them as we are is "Fair Use". The simple fact that these codes were originaly openly distributed by you(the author) to use for free on your web site and possibly other web sites also puts this issue under "Fair Use".

Throwing "Copyright Infringement" after the codes have already been openly distributed on your site as well as others for free will never float in any court of law By you openly posting it makes it Public Domain. As Dreggs has stated above, you do not protect said works and you have stated that users may use the codes if we like.

20. dreggs

dreggs Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2006
    United States
    Once again it comes back to proving that you are somehow losing money by the codes being taken from your site, as well as proving without reasonable doubt that you in fact are the originator of these codes in the first place. You are "publishing" cheat codes, not writing novels here.

Don't think I'm being asinine with these posts, I'm just TRYING to save a lot of wasted effort on many peoples behalves. I do understand your passion and your reason for being upset over this, but you also should be smart enough to know that theres no legal recourse that can be taken.

On a final (hopefully) note, remember that the internet is global. Your "rights" to protect your "works" only apply to one specific region/country. The naive notions of most Americans stands true, that they can police the world.

oh..and erm..you apparently don't remember your own posts..and i quote::

"
    - I don't charge for USING the codes. I charge for DISTRIBUTION RIGHTS. You cheaters can cheat with my codes all you want, you just can't post them anywhere (without my permission, which you could have gotten if you had not only asked, but also waited for it to come off of Rune's site, because I don't plan on letting any site host my codes again until the one that stole them originally takes them down)."

and then you just said..quoted again...

"Just so you know, all of the previous times this has happened, I had no difficulty having the files removed from the sites they were being hosted on."

no difficulty eh? hmmm [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.