Hacking Post your ideas regarding how to hack the 3DS, here

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
That's not why anything. There's no such thing as a "HTML5 buffer". There are ArrayBuffers, part of the WebGL/Typed Array spec, and there is buffering for some objects, like embedded tags. Please, don't say something will be vulnerable to an exploit unless you're an expert with considerable experience on the subject.

Side note: there appears to be some confusion surrounding HTML5, furthered by useless posts by news sites that say the 3DS doesn't support HTML5. The 3DS already supports some features of HTML5, hell, some 10 year old browsers support certain features of HTML5 because HTML5 standardizes them. The fact is that no browser is currently 100% conforming to the HTML5 specification, and the specification itself isn't yet finalized.

As for Nintendo increasing support of HTML5, who knows? The PS3 recently received a browser update, which included an improved rendering engine and increased the HTML5 score, so it's not completely out of the question. With regards to the browser being exploitable (and getting back on topic), don't get your hopes up. With theories of sandboxing and hypervisors, even if a vulnerability is found there's no guarantee of a hack.

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Since eShop currently support downloadable contents as demos and such, wouldn't it be easier to some extent to try tampering with those demos into triggering a bug that could be used in the hacking scene?
I'm not sure if this can even work since I'm not a programmer to any degree but it seems like a way to me.

And, is there even any way to acquire the "system update" file(s)?
Shouldn't 3DS game dumps roaming over the internet have something like that within them?

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you actually tampered with the demos effectively, it would blow because they only allow a limited number of executions.
Imagine if you successfully made a homebrew launcher with a demo, it'd only be good for 30, maybe 20 or 10 uses!

As for retrieving the system update files. Yes, you can do that easily, but they're encrypted and useless in that state.

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
To successfully build a hacking tool inside a limited usage demo without removing the limit sounds like a big fail X )
All I hope for is to turn my 3DS more like a Wii.
Able to install homebrews, run all the amazing things people create and, I won't lie, running 3DS Mode games.
It's about time 3DS is used to its full potential!

robinknaapen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's not why anything. There's no such thing as a "HTML5 buffer". There are ArrayBuffers, part of the WebGL/Typed Array spec, and there is buffering for some objects, like embedded tags. Please, don't say something will be vulnerable to an exploit unless you're an expert with considerable experience on the subject.

Side note: there appears to be some confusion surrounding HTML5, furthered by useless posts by news sites that say the 3DS doesn't support HTML5. The 3DS already supports some features of HTML5, hell, some 10 year old browsers support certain features of HTML5 because HTML5 standardizes them. The fact is that no browser is currently 100% conforming to the HTML5 specification, and the specification itself isn't yet finalized.

As for Nintendo increasing support of HTML5, who knows? The PS3 recently received a browser update, which included an improved rendering engine and increased the HTML5 score, so it's not completely out of the question. With regards to the browser being exploitable (and getting back on topic), don't get your hopes up. With theories of sandboxing and hypervisors, even if a vulnerability is found there's no guarantee of a hack.
there shure is a HTML Expert here on gbatemp. and your right and all but still if 3DS will ever use html5 would be great.
but there are HTML5 browser games so an exploit its still possible though. (and i dunno if a 3DS could handel an exploit)

scy1192

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has there been any experimenting done with the IR port and a game that uses the circle pad pro? That's one input that I rarely see discussed.

edit: also, since the 3DS can read the DS framebuffer and apply scaling, maybe there are some vulnerabilities (overflow?) to crack through the hypervisor

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has there been any experimenting done with the IR port and a game that uses the circle pad pro? That's one input that I rarely see discussed.

edit: also, since the 3DS can read the DS framebuffer and apply scaling, maybe there are some vulnerabilities (overflow?) to crack through the hypervisor
And do what with it, may I ask?
There's no lead, bro.

StephanGorgan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest problem about hacking the 3ds mode is: Laziness!
Come on guys, One team working on it officially?
The reason why this piece of art still not hacked is the real hacker teams are now retired,and the new generation is just not that good...
Of course there are fantastic young programmers/hackers out there,but too few...
I am not a hacker, but i was a programmer, and i have seen some big names in action in the 90's and the early 00's,and they was AmAzinG!
So I think the best way to hack 3ds, and the whole new Ps Vita, ("if you don't want to wait until 2059 Late June and play in a retirement home with your hacked console") is to find an old, professional,and inactive hacker team from the early 2000's, and we all could support them with something so they can work only on the task. In a few months, we could have a Nintendo 3ds and a Ps Vita fully hacked and rammed,because the old teams just that good.Think about it for a few minutes.
Supporting hacker teams is illegal, but in legal way we could work somethink out...like donation for an android app through andr.market or paypal...
The problem is, i can't find ANYONE from the golden era of hacking nowadays, like if Nintendo and Sony could have kidnapped them...hmm Nintedo and Sony at the 2012 Kidnapping Trial sounds way cooler than Mario and Sonic at the...:-)
Ok,just think about these things pls...we need one Real PRO team on the job, or we need at least !five hundred! amateur team on the job,just do it, before it's too late, like 2059 late June.:-)

Reactions: Shade Tempest

StephanGorgan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There can be a few differencies in the two games code, but impossible to know for sure that it's not the rom dumper software's own code.
The only way is an attack from Pc,or Mac, real time.:-) .Just have to hook up the 3ds with the computer,somehow, and then the fun begins.Right now, I don't have a clue what to do after you hook up the 3ds to a Pc.:-) My knowledge is too old now needs to be refreshed 200%. We need and electro-technician, a mechanic, and two programmer dude.One who knows Linux, and one Who don't.Our electro technician, and mechanic have to make a special cable what connects to the 3ds through the game card slot or the sd card slot, the other end of the cable goes to a Pc usb slot.And then the two programmer dude in 24H-24H workshift's can work on reaching the firmware in the console,and set it free.If they suceed, the end result can be something like the PSP's softmodding was. But we need serious and willing men to do this.
And at least one team per state, and at least ten team per country in cooperation, so they don't doing the same mistakes.One team can do it of course alone, but it needs to be started quickly before Nintendo kidnaps everyone.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There can be a few differencies in the two games code, but impossible to know for sure that it's not the rom dumper software's own code.
The only way is an attack from Pc,or Mac, real time.:-) .Just have to hook up the 3ds with the computer,somehow, and then the fun begins.Right now, I don't have a clue what to do after you hook up the 3ds to a Pc.:-) My knowledge is too old now needs to be refreshed 200%. We need and electro-technician, a mechanic, and two programmer dude.One who knows Linux, and one Who don't.Our electro technician, and mechanic have to make a special cable what connects to the 3ds through the game card slot or the sd card slot, the other end of the cable goes to a Pc usb slot.And then the two programmer dude in 24H-24H workshift's can work on reaching the firmware in the console,and set it free.If they suceed, the end result can be something like the PSP's softmodding was. But we need serious and willing men to do this.
And at least one team per state, and at least ten team per country in cooperation, so they don't doing the same mistakes.One team can do it of course alone, but it needs to be started quickly before Nintendo kidnaps everyone.
I'm sorry, but you quite clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Reactions: 1 person

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, but you quite clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
Was a joke, heh.

StephanGorgan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, i added a few funny details, but you have to reach the firmware through Pc-3ds communication.If you witnessed a real hacking in your life, you should know that.That's the only way to fully unlock the system.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, i added a few funny details, but you have to reach the firmware through Pc-3ds communication.If you witnessed a real hacking in your life, you should know that.That's the only way to fully unlock the system.

Riiiiiight, because the Wii was more or less hacked without a computer using a pair of tweezers. (Read up on the Tweezer Hack.)
That hack led to the Twilight Hack, which again didn't require any communication (it just delivered a payload that caused a buffer overflow in Epona's name, allowing execution of unsigned code).

StephanGorgan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Riiiiiight, because the Wii was more or less hacked without a computer using a pair of tweezers. (Read up on the Tweezer Hack.)
That hack led to the Twilight Hack, which again didn't require any communication (it just delivered a payload that caused a buffer overflow in Epona's name, allowing execution of unsigned code).

That's one way of skinning a cat, and you can use modchip's of course...But why you all like this buffer overflow technic so much? Pc's give PcAids to the console's or what? :) If you can write a code, what allows the Pc to browse in the console's system memory, you can do pretty much anything.I own a soft modded Wii, and they really did a great job with the hack,i love it.

StephanGorgan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok.I will do that,because i want to help this thing to progress.If I find something, i'll let you know.And Thanks, you was the first today who was not negative.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You're actually going to look at downloaded apps (which are of course encrypted) in Notepad (which would be useless even if they were decrypted as they are binary files) and you think you know about hacking? Well good luck with that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ... that's rough buddy