Homebrew Post Homebrew ideas, suggestion, requests here

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Oh my gosh! I think I might skip on the Neo Geo and CPS games, due to having a 300 game limit, but that PS1 forwarder is sooo exciting. I have no idea how I'll fit them in my game roster, because I'm already struggling to narrow it down to 300 as it is, but I'll find a way! Thank you so much for showing me this!
You could save a lot of space by not using fowarders for games that can be ran thru emulators.

1/300 = GBArunner2 or mGBA = hundreds of games
2/300 = gameyob = another hundred
3/300 = picodrive = 60 more games

and so on, for NES, SNES, and any other retro console u want.
I mean... if you're struggling with space... and im sure those are not 300 3DS games, because those are like 1gb each on average

johndpoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
With so many different emulators that can be installed in the 3DS, Is there already a sort of game browser/launcher for roms, ala EmulationStation or something like that? Something that could scan the directories where roms live for a every platform and rendered a nice menu to navigate.
Bonus points if somehow could be linked to different emus/retroarc to launch them from it.

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With so many different emulators that can be installed in the 3DS, Is there already a sort of game browser/launcher for roms, ala EmulationStation or something like that? Something that could scan the directories where roms live for a every platform and rendered a nice menu to navigate.
Bonus points if somehow could be linked to different emus/retroarc to launch them from it.
like retroarch

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
beyond retroarch... i don't think so. A frontend for 3DS? that's kinda overkill.
I do use frontends, on PC i have all my games on one. But on 3DS you have the home screen, you can have a folder with all your emulators, set the default folder to wherever your roms are, and that's it. Only "issue" would be having to close one emulator to change consoles, like, you can't simply go from gameboy to SNES without going thru the home menu. But its not that bad

johndpoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
like retroarch
Is there a way to configure retroarch so it displays game covers, metadata, etc...? The only way I've seen RA being used is with that text mode file browser that only displays the file name.
beyond retroarch... i don't think so. A frontend for 3DS? that's kinda overkill.
I do use frontends, on PC i have all my games on one. But on 3DS you have the home screen, you can have a folder with all your emulators, set the default folder to wherever your roms are, and that's it. Only "issue" would be having to close one emulator to change consoles, like, you can't simply go from gameboy to SNES without going thru the home menu. But its not that bad
Yeah, probably overkill as it does not really add functionality that cannot be already done. But it would add usability to 3DS emulation. All these little handhelds have great UI to navigate through possibly thousands of games. The 3DS lacks that. I can create a folder and add my GBA emulator, but if I have to scroll through 500 roms by filename, the experience is not just as good as browsing them on a frontend seeing video previews and all mediate for the games.

Anyway it's just an idea. I made a silly console program in python that runs in the 3ds, and scans all my rom folders and randomly picks a rom, or a platform, or a combination of them to help me choosing what to play when I'm bored and undecided. I thought a graphical UI to browse through the games would be the next thing. I haven't done any 3ds dev, but I might give a go at installing the toolchain and try to knock something up, even if it is basic.

Last edited by johndpoe,
Reactions: SummonerArthur

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my gosh! I think I might skip on the Neo Geo and CPS games, due to having a 300 game limit, but that PS1 forwarder is sooo exciting. I have no idea how I'll fit them in my game roster, because I'm already struggling to narrow it down to 300 as it is, but I'll find a way! Thank you so much for showing me this!
Try using an NDS flashcart for NDS games so they don't add to the 300 game limit.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
the experience is not just as good as browsing them on a frontend seeing video previews and all mediate for the games
agreed, although personally i wouldn't waste SD space on video previews. At most a screenshot and a logo.
Perhaps some emulator could add that, so you scroll thru a list of 500 roms but at least you have a screenshot and logo to make it nicer looking.
Nice tool you're developing, you plan on sharing it? like a shuffle button from the music apps, but for games. Not bad

Reactions: SummonerArthur

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to configure retroarch so it displays game covers, metadata, etc...? The only way I've seen RA being used is with that text mode file browser that only displays the file name.
Yes, even the default RetroArch menu (rgui) can show boxart and screenshots, as well as background images and lots of other customizations. There's also an another menu called xmb that's based on the PS3 menu and can also show thumbnails. Both of these menus and tons of themes for each of them are included as part of the basic RetroArch distribution.

Personally, I feel like most of this stuff only slows down my use of the menu, but I definitely do recommend customizing it a bit in Settings>User Interface>Appearance since the default setup is kind of awful.

johndpoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
agreed, although personally i wouldn't waste SD space on video previews. At most a screenshot and a logo.
Perhaps some emulator could add that, so you scroll thru a list of 500 roms but at least you have a screenshot and logo to make it nicer looking.
Nice tool you're developing, you plan on sharing it? like a shuffle button from the music apps, but for games. Not bad
Yeah, I'd be super happy with just a screenshot and a name. haha and I wouldn't call that a tool. It is literally a silly script running on 3DS.py. 3DS.py does not support curses or anything graphical, so it is just outputting console text to the top screen. Not pretty by any metrics. Here's a couple of screenshots of what it looks like:
Screenshots

Happy to put it up somewhere if you want to play with it.

Yes, even the default RetroArch menu (rgui) can show boxart and screenshots, as well as background images and lots of other customizations. There's also an another menu called xmb that's based on the PS3 menu and can also show thumbnails. Both of these menus and tons of themes for each of them are included as part of the basic RetroArch distribution.

Personally, I feel like most of this stuff only slows down my use of the menu, but I definitely do recommend customizing it a bit in Settings>User Interface>Appearance since the default setup is kind of awful.
This is awesome. I had no idea that was possible and I have not seen anywhere anyone using RA setup this way on a 3DS!
I suppose the first step will be to scrap the roms from the PC, and then put the contents in the sd somewhere. I'll definitely give it a go.

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is awesome. I had no idea that was possible and I have not seen anywhere anyone using RA setup this way on a 3DS!
I suppose the first step will be to scrap the roms from the PC, and then put the contents in the sd somewhere. I'll definitely give it a go.
Yeah, RetroArch's menu system is an absolute shitshow, so a lot of people have no idea half of what's in it.

Setting up screenshots and box art can be done on the 3DS itself as long as your ROMs are clean (no hacks or patches). First, scan your ROMs directory to auto-generate playlists and then go to the Online Updater and select Playlist Thumbnails Updater.

If you have ROMs that aren't recognized by the scanner, games in your playlist with missing thumbnails, or just want to choose your own images, you'll have to do that stuff manually on a computer. I think there's some desktop programs people have made for helping with this, though I've never used any.

thisjustin2001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could save a lot of space by not using fowarders for games that can be ran thru emulators.

1/300 = GBArunner2 or mGBA = hundreds of games
2/300 = gameyob = another hundred
3/300 = picodrive = 60 more games

and so on, for NES, SNES, and any other retro console u want.
I mean... if you're struggling with space... and im sure those are not 300 3DS games, because those are like 1gb each on average

Man, that's so tempting. If I weren't so stubborn about each emulated/VC game having the same menu icons as the actual 3DS titles, I'd totally do that. I'm sure there's probably less than a percent of people like me that'd trade 100 or more games to have menu navigation that's closer to a vanilla 3DS. I really appreciate the suggestion, though.

Try using an NDS flashcart for NDS games so they don't add to the 300 game limit.

Is there a way to have NDS games on a flashcart, create forwarders/individual menu icons for them, and have them not included in the 300 game limit? If you don't know though, no big deal.

I have another question for anyone reading. What are the limitations (if there are any) of downloading menu themes for the 3DS? Do they take up any slots in the software limit? Is there a finite number of them that you can have? Are there any other hurdles or limitations that I should know about? Any answers would be a tremendous help!

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, that's so tempting. If I weren't so stubborn about each emulated/VC game having the same menu icons as the actual 3DS titles, I'd totally do that. I'm sure there's probably less than a percent of people like me that'd trade 100 or more games to have menu navigation that's closer to a vanilla 3DS. I really appreciate the suggestion, though.
I just use a mix. I make forwarders/injects for the games I play the most, but then I also install the emulators with ROMs for a bunch more games I might want to play only occasionally. If I find myself playing one of those other games more often, I'll build a forwarder for it. It's essentially like having a shelf of your favorite games, plus a couple boxes of other games in the closet, which was always exactly how I kept my games back when I had tons of physical systems.

Is there a way to have NDS games on a flashcart, create forwarders/individual menu icons for them, and have them not included in the 300 game limit? If you don't know though, no big deal.
NDS forwarders do not count towards the 300 title limit. Doesn't even matter whether the game is on a flashcard or your system SD. That's because they install as DSiWare, which does have its own limit of 40 titles, though. So if you're using a mix of both, the menu limit is actually 340 titles. As far as I know this also doesn't include the 3DS system apps, which in theory you could take over and inject your own titles into using GodMode9, so I guess you could eek out a few more that way if you're really up against the limit.

thisjustin2001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just use a mix. I make forwarders/injects for the games I play the most, but then I also install the emulators with ROMs for a bunch more games I might want to play only occasionally. If I find myself playing one of those other games more often, I'll build a forwarder for it. It's essentially like having a shelf of your favorite games, plus a couple boxes of other games in the closet, which was always exactly how I kept my games back when I had tons of physical systems.

NDS forwarders do not count towards the 300 title limit. Doesn't even matter whether the game is on a flashcard or your system SD. That's because they install as DSiWare, which does have its own limit of 40 titles, though. So if you're using a mix of both, the menu limit is actually 340 titles. As far as I know this also doesn't include the 3DS system apps, which in theory you could take over and inject your own titles into using GodMode9, so I guess you could eek out a few more that way if you're really up against the limit.

To the first thing you said, that is so smart! I will strongly consider doing that if I'm in a pinch.

If NDS forwarders really don't count towards the 300 game limit, that would be amazing! When I was putting more of my game line-up together today, I was really wishing I could somehow have at least twenty more slots, because I hit my 300 game limit, but hadn't even started adding my essential PS1 titles.

Thank you for taking the time out of your night to reply to me. This is a huge help!

Ogasawara

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I heard that Nintendo 3DS can use Haxe language.
I would like you to create Nintendo 3DS port for Friday night funkin for Old 3DS and NEW 3DS.
If there's anyone who can do it, please.

Nintendo 3DS Program Languages Haxe 100% supported

If you search Orange-hx/hxlpp3ds on github, you will see what you searched for.

Reactions: thisjustin2001

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I know this will be a stupid idea, but...I'd just love to see Mega Maker on O3DS and N3DS. The dual/touch screen gimmick would do wonders to create levels, in my opinion. It'd be a way better game than Super Mario Maker 3DS anyway lmao

Reactions: 3dsfan and TechX

blazer728544

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard that Nintendo 3DS can use Haxe language.
I would like you to create Nintendo 3DS port for Friday night funkin for Old 3DS and NEW 3DS.
If there's anyone who can do it, please.

Nintendo 3DS Program Languages Haxe 100% supported

If you search Orange-hx/hxlpp3ds on github, you will see what you searched for.
theres already a pretty obscure port for the game but it only supports n3ds

ack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have good knowledge of C++ which as far as I understand is the language the 3ds likes, and other than the source code for the pc version of turok i have no definitive sources but if someone can take quake or doom and make it run on the 3ds im pretty sure we could water down the pc remaster of turok and lock the graphical settings and transfer it over. Turok is coded entirely in angelscript which is a C++ style script (i'm part of the turok modding community is how I know all this) so if the time was put in to turn the exe source code into something the 3ds could run, the rest of the game data can be slapped on top and i could even mod it to disallow tweaking of advanced graphical stuff to help it run better on the 3ds. The only thing i would need is someone who knows how to take source code and make it recognizable for the 3ds and is able to make the buttons on the system emulate the control setup and we are in business. we basically need a bootlegged 3ds enabled kex engine (turok engine) and tell players to drag and drop their game.kpf file from their legit copy to the turok 3ds directory that way we are doing it legit. I am willing to pour my heart and soul into this and even put blood sweat and tears into giving it stereoscopic 3D support. I just need to know where i can find someone who can help on the 3ds side of things.
turok 64's source is out there, and apparently whatever was done to make sm64 work on the 3ds can be applied to all n64 games, so you could do it that way

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7