Hacking Possible to "Officially" Sidegrade Firmware Offline?

FanboyKilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that it's possible to upgrade/downgrade OFW via ChoiDujourNX, BUT, is it possible for someone to SIDEGRADE to a different firmware, officially, that way they would still be able to play online? I got a buddy who's on 5.1.0 FW and was thinking about upgrading his FW so that he could play online. He's not really ready to get into CFW "YET", but I think that will eventually change after he gets bored of playing online etc. So I told him that he should at least wait and let me see if there was a way for him to sidegrade to 6.2.0 FW. I thought I remember seeing somewhere that one of the ways to do it was to find a game that required the firmware you wanted to be on, and then just use the game cartridge to update to that FW. But since I don't know of any games that require 6.2.0 FW and come with that FW on the cartridge, I'm wondering if there is another way that's possible?

D

Deleted User

You can install any game without having to be on the required firmware. No need to "SIDEGRADE" to a different firmware

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't know why everyone updates to the highest firmware when simple tools like Tinfoil (0.2.1) allowing you too IGNORE REQUIRED FIRMWARE VERSION when installing a game

FanboyKilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can install any game without having to be on the required firmware. No need to "SIDEGRADE" to a different firmware

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't know why everyone updates to the highest firmware when simple tools like Tinfoil (0.2.1) allowing you too IGNORE REQUIRED FIRMWARE VERSION when installing a game

You must have missed the part where I said "he's not ready for CFW right now", so unfortunately that's not an option.

You can try performing a local game update which also updates firmware. Meaning have both consoles share a game that can be updated while the console on 6.2 has the game on a higher update than the console that is updating.

That would be one workaround. Not ideal though because then you'd need another Switch that is on the FW you want.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Because it clearly says in OP that he wants to upgrade to play online. Online, as in no CFW or you're banned. And also online, as in you have to be on the latest FW.

@FanboyKilla and that brings me to your question, updating to 6.2 won't make your friend play online. You always need to be on the latest FW to play online, which would be 7.0.1 at the moment.

Last edited by wurstpistole,
Reactions: FanboyKilla

FanboyKilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because it clearly says in OP that he wants to upgrade to play online. Online, as in no CFW or you're banned. And also online, as in you have to be on the latest FW.

@FanboyKilla and that brings me to your question, updating to 6.2 won't make your friend play online. You always need to be on the latest FW to play online, which would be 7.0.1 at the moment.

Ahhh ok good to know. I don't play online so I'm not super familiar with all those requirements. So if he wants to play online then it's either 7.0.1 or bust?

I'm still curious though, is it possible to sidegrade firwmare offline and still keep an "official" status? Let's not even consider "online play" here, just the simple fact of is it possible?

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ahhh ok good to know. I don't play online so I'm not super familiar with all those requirements. So if he wants to play online then it's either 7.0.1 or bust?

I'm still curious though, is it possible to sidegrade firwmare offline and still keep an "official" status? Let's not even consider "online play" here, just the simple fact of is it possible?
Of course. As mentioned above, by upgrading with a paired console on 6.2 that shares a game with you that is updated to a version that requires you to be on 6.2 ("Officially", I know you can patch it), like Smash Bros for example - or by using a gamecart of any game that requires 6.2... but I think there are none (as of now).

FanboyKilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course. As mentioned above, by upgrading with a paired console on 6.2 that shares a game with you that is updated to a version that requires you to be on 6.2 ("Officially", I know you can patch it), like Smash Bros for example - or by using a gamecart of any game that requires 6.2... but I think there are none (as of now).

Ok cool that's what I wanted to know. Like I said in the OP, I had heard about doing FW upgrades via a game cart, but like you, I also haven't seen any games that specifically require 6.2 that would have it loaded on the cart. Just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some other "trick" (aside from paired consoles) that would allow to be done.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok cool that's what I wanted to know. Like I said in the OP, I had heard about doing FW upgrades via a game cart, but like you, I also haven't seen any games that specifically require 6.2 that would have it loaded on the cart. Just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some other "trick" (aside from paired consoles) that would allow to be done.
There is not.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

IIRC You have to update to get the user guide in the sonic game working, ignoring the firmware version doesn't work in all circumstances.

Also some people just like being on latest versions of things. It has pros and cons, you do get hit by loads of issues but you can report them.

Last edited by smf,

FanboyKilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC You have to update to get the user guide in the sonic game working, ignoring the firmware version doesn't work in all circumstances.

Also some people just like being on latest versions of things. It has pros and cons, you do get hit by loads of issues but you can report them.

Yeah, "some people just like being on latest versions of things", for no other reason than just because it's the latest version available. Because too many n00bs have "Obsessive Update Disorder".

n00b logic: Because it's the latest available that means it's the BEST so I must update right now! :rolleyes:

Last edited by FanboyKilla,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, "some people just like being on latest versions of things", for no other reason than just because it's the latest version available. Because too many n00bs have "Obsessive Update Disorder".

n00b logic: Because it's the latest available that means it's the BEST so I must update right now! :rolleyes:

I do it because then you can help report issues. I try to time is so that fundamental issues have already been reported and fixed & only issues related to things I do differently are found.

Over the years what I've found is if you leave it too late, then people who are working on fixing issues have moved on and there is nobody to fix your unique issues.

As soon as you see people posting work rounds to avoid updating when there is no real reason to stick on an old version, then you know you left it too late.

FanboyKilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do it because then you can help report issues. I try to time is so that fundamental issues have already been reported and fixed & only issues related to things I do differently are found.

Over the years what I've found is if you leave it too late, then people who are working on fixing issues have moved on and there is nobody to fix your unique issues.

As soon as you see people posting work rounds to avoid updating when there is no real reason to stick on an old version, then you know you left it too late.

You don't count then because you're actually making an effort to IMPROVE SOMETHING! But that's not why the n00bs do it.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I dont know. I remember when I first started modding consoles decades ago. I made a lot of noob mistakes but I was an adult with a full time job. I'd just learn and buy a new PS or xbox classic and try again. I think it's just rookie mistakes.

Last edited by Kafluke, , Reason: Grammatical

FanboyKilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know. I remember when I first started modding consoles decades ago. I made a lot of noob mistakes but I was an adult with a full time job. I'd just learn and buy and new PS or xbox classic and try again. I think it's just rookie mistakes.

You don't have be a "n00b" to make "n00b" mistakes. I'm referring to all the people who simply "UPGRADE" for no other reason than just to "UPGRADE".

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You don't count then because you're actually making an effort to IMPROVE SOMETHING! But that's not why the n00bs do it.

Well in the case of being on the latest firmware, I'd do it if I was a n00b as I'm also lazy. If you're on the latest then you don't have to worry about resigning or ignoring versions.

FanboyKilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well in the case of being on the latest firmware, I'd do it if I was a n00b as I'm also lazy. If you're on the latest then you don't have to worry about resigning or ignoring versions.

n00b: New FW is released, must update right now! I don't care what's not gonna work anymore I just have to have the latest version!
Pro: New FW is released, wait until everything is sorted out, CFW's have been updated to work correctly, Mods have been updated, etc. Stability is key!

That's the difference.

Reactions: Deleted User

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
n00b: New FW is released, must update right now! I don't care what's not gonna work anymore I just have to have the latest version!
Pro: New FW is released, wait until everything is sorted out, CFW's have been updated to work correctly, Mods have been updated, etc. Stability is key!

That's the difference.
All I'm saying is, you're not born a pro. This isn't basketball or the NFL.

Have a little patience. You were there yourself at one time in the past. What you consider common knowledge doesn't apply anymore. This is the age of youtube videos and social media. It's all "answers now... on demand". They never stop to consider relevancy.

"If its online...it must be true!"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1