Possible to backup ticket files without A9LH?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by DanTheMan827, Aug 10, 2016.

1. DanTheMan827
    OP

DanTheMan827 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I was thinking about making an app that would "hide" games on the home menu by temporarily deleting the ticket for that game and re-installing it when making it visible again.

This would allow people to hide games (without deleting them) in order to bypass the limit of icons on the home menu.

The problem is, this would require backing up the ticket before deleting it in order to restore it at a later date...

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by DanTheMan827, Aug 10, 2016
  2. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    yeah it's been possible way before a9lh... ever since we had homebrew launcher.dats

hiding the ticket won't hide the game though, i'm pretty sure.
    anyway, it won't take long to test with fbi or something, i forget what happened when i did it lol

3. DanTheMan827
    OP

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Oh, trust me... it does... (I may have accidentally deleted all of my tickets while patching TIKdevil... :lol:)

Re-installing the ticket actually triggers the unwrapping mechanism again

Do you have any code to backup the tickets?

Last edited by DanTheMan827, Aug 10, 2016
  4. Februarysn0w

Februarysn0w School Idol Festival

Oct 31, 2014
    Mino city Osaka
    backup ticket without a9lh, you need firmware below 9.2 sysnand or emunand. Or If I remember correctly FBI or some homebrews could backup ticket.

5. DanTheMan827
    OP

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I should probably have phrased that better...

I have A9LH installed but I'm wondering how you would backup the tickets without booting a A9LH payload to dump them

6. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    ok, maybe i was wrong, if you certainly tested deleted the ticket and the app was hidden, great for your idea then :)

but no, you will have to make the tool yourself, although sure you can use code from open source programs etc

7. DanTheMan827
    OP

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, I wasn't planning on someone else making it for me (what fun would that be ^_^)

I just don't have any idea of what function(s) would be used to backup the ticket...

I took a look at am.h but I was only able to find functions to install a ticket and not dump an existing one..

Ideally I would want to have a single app as a CIA or 3DSX but I don't know it that would be able to dump the tickets or if you would need a launcher.dat

8. rikumax25!

rikumax25! Keyblade Wielder

Apr 21, 2016
    Costa Rica
    is FBI open source? maybe you could check there for ideas

9. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    if you have trouble extracted a specific ticket, just get the whole ticket.db, and get the latest ticket for the title id you want.
    something like that.

10. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
  11. rikumax25!

rikumax25! Keyblade Wielder

Apr 21, 2016
    Costa Rica
    then maybe cearpĀ“s idea ay be the best aproach as you could fetch some sort of list of title id list and use it to modify ticket.db

12. DanTheMan827
    OP

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Is it possible to dump ticket.db from a 3DSX / CIA app?

Everything I can find seems to point to FunkyCIA which says to use a .dat file to dump the tickets...

13. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    yes, decrypt9 can do this.

the dat method was old, i thought i updated the op of FunkyCIA to talk about decrypt9, no? maybe not lol