Hardware Possible really noobish Component/480P question...

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mornin' Tempers!! Hi-De-H, oh whatever.....

Right, down to brass tacks: after a recent loft clearout I've realised I have a spare Wii Component cable, so decided to give them to mother dear as I set up her Wii with an RGB cable instead. Now her TV's a new-ish LED which she recently bought: it's got the ypbpr source, but only the standard rca composite connection, spdif-vga-2xhdmi-usb...

Can the cable be used (in conjunction with anything - I don't mind spending a few quid), or would I be better off getting her one of THESE for her spare hdmi? Are they any good?
After having 480P Wii gaming myself I reckon rgb looks shite (especially the Wiiflow menu which I've got her Wii autobooting into to make things simpler for her - the HD covers are very poor downscaled in comparison to 480P), plus she also has a PS2 which is using her scart connection, and her splitter is a bit crap anyway..... Any help would be most appreciated peeps! ;)

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the only port options are composite or HDMI, then it would look better with the HDMI adapter (due to the limitations of the Wii, not much better or worse than the quality you would get with component cables). However, are you certain your mother's TV lacks component cable support? If you haven't already, I would check the TV's manual. Sometimes ports are hidden and/or disguised one way or another.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the only port options are composite or HDMI, then it would look better with the HDMI adapter (due to the limitations of the Wii, not much better or worse than the quality you would get with component cables). However, are you certain your mother's TV lacks component cable support? If you haven't already, I would check the TV's manual. Sometimes ports are hidden and/or disguised one way or another.
Yeah I've only looked round the back for about 5 minutes last time I went round...:lol:, will check the manual, but here in the UK I'm pretty sure (though obviously no expert!) that component is a more rare sight on our TV's: we seemed to switch straight from SCART to HDMI here, and for example the PAL Gamecube didn't have 480P support....

Thanks for the info anyway: if the manual doesn't show me anything, and if you reckon these HDMI adaptors will provide a similar quality to the component cables anyway, then I'll take the plunge on one for her - only cost me £8-odd after all, not exactly gonna break the bank!

Anastergun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As you said you don't mind expending a bit of money, it seems that the HDMI adapter is the best choice in your case. But keep in mind that even you using a HDMI cable the game will run on 480p.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: that would be crazy