espositodnl86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi,

I recently tried to connect my PS2 to my TV using two different component cables but in both cases the image looks pink (Wii connected via the same component port works perfectly).
I have read that this problem could be caused by some modchips and that the only solution would be open the PS2 and cut the RGB fix cable. Is it correct and - if so - is there a guide out there?

PS: I had my PS2 modded a few years ago and I don't know which modchip it mounts.

Thanks.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
First: check that the console is indeed set to YPbPr and that the socket on the console isn't bad :)

Depending on your chip (yes, it's a great idea to open it up and check what you have - "a few years ago" probably means some kind of Modbo but who knows!) you may be able to boot into a settings menu and select the patches you want; the force-RGB one should only activate on movie DVDs - though if you also have a softmod it's not unreasonable for it to activate all the time (free*boot is normally signed as a DVD player)

espositodnl86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, YPbPr is selected.
How can I discover what modchip has been mounted on my PS2? I mean... on what part of the board motherboard?

Thanks.

espositodnl86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ehm... which one is it? Shall I cut the cable?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20190308_181750.jpg
    IMG_20190308_181750.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 300
  • IMG_20190308_181817.jpg
    IMG_20190308_181817.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 238

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
check your console av multi out. that has nothing to do with the modchip.
don't cut anything, modchips don't interfere in that way, I have a modchip and internal hdd installed and the only "problem" I have is that I need to press circle when I boot the console if I want to use dvd movies or ps1 games, nothing more.

Reactions: uyjulian

espositodnl86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
check your console av multi out. that has nothing to do with the modchip.
don't cut anything, modchips don't interfere in that way, I have a modchip and internal hdd installed and the only "problem" I have is that I need to press circle when I boot the console if I want to use dvd movies or ps1 games, nothing more.
How can I check it? With the standard cable colours are OK, only with component cable everything looks pinkish.

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Plug only the green cable to your tv and you should see image but b/w.
Then plug the red cable (without unpluging the green), you should see some colors.
Unplug the red cable and do the same with the blue cable, you should see other colors.

With that we can know what contact in the av multi out (possibly) went bad.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Can you try it on a different TV? I've had issues in the past with pink screens (even with HDMI).

Yes I know the Wii works with it but it does isolate the issue to the console and removes 1 possibility.

espositodnl86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Green cable is not working.
Plug only the green cable to your tv and you should see image but b/w.
Then plug the red cable (without unpluging the green), you should see some colors.
Unplug the red cable and do the same with the blue cable, you should see other colors.

With that we can know what contact in the av multi out (possibly) went bad.

espositodnl86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Check Pin 12 (the rightmost pin) on your AV Multi Out connector on your PS2, and make sure it is not bent or corroded.
It looks OK to me.
If connect red+green+blue I see everything pink, if I disconnect the green cable and leave the other two connected I don't get any image.

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
It looks OK to me.
If connect red+green+blue I see everything pink, if I disconnect the green cable and leave the other two connected I don't get any image.
That's supposed to happen.
The green cable carries luma and sync. No sync = no image.
So if you see image then the green cable is working as intended.
The blue and red cables carry the colors (encoded in Pb and Pr). So one of those is the culprit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHNH5pnioQk