Hacking Possible fix to every brick? (On the NAND)

AfanGotTheWiiOn26December

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I need someone smart to prove me (most likely) wrong.

So I couldn't fall asleep yesterday and I thought of my low-level bricked wii. That day I watched a bunch of phone repair videos. He took out a flash memory chip from a phone and soldered it to a USB drive and recovered the data.

Could this be possible with the Wii? Take out the flash chip, solder to a USB, and flash a backup NAND?

While finding a picture of the flash memory, I found someone who took a flash chip from a USB and made "two nands".
Post automatically merged:

https://hackaday.com/2008/06/06/wii-dual-nand-flash-hack/

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
He took out a flash memory chip from a phone and soldered it to a USB drive and recovered the data.
May I see that video? Sounds interesting.
Must have been a very old phone. They are encrypted by default for many years -- which leaves you with garbage data if you read out the memory with external hardware.

The same is true for Wii consoles: You need the encryption key to write anything meaningful.
For those compatible with BootMii in boot2 there is the possibility to use a hardware flasher to install BootMii. This has been done in the past with Infectus.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
May I see that video? Sounds interesting.
Must have been a very old phone. They are encrypted by default for many years -- which leaves you with garbage data if you read out the memory with external hardware.

The same is true for Wii consoles: You need the encryption key to write anything meaningful.
For those compatible with BootMii in boot2 there is the possibility to use a hardware flasher to install BootMii. This has been done in the past with Infectus.
Samsung S6. The channel is MDrepair. He did something with encryption if I remember well.

Samsung S6. The channel is MDrepair. He did something with encryption if I remember well.
Infact it was some smartphone, not sure if it was samsung.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Should be this one.
And he says something like: "I took this chip from my customer's Galaxy S II"

Indeed possible to recover raw data in this case. Very likely not encrypted.

But the Wii is encrypted with console unique key. You can't extract data without the key and can't write anything meaningful.

KleinesSinchen

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Question of understanding: Can you copy block by block, i.e. without interpreting the file system, as with hard disks?
Of course. The question is what are you going to get by this? Copy the content from a software-bricked Wii NAND chip to your computer. And then? Without the key it is random garbage. You might as well run
dd if=/dev/random of=~/random.bin bs=1M count=512

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
But the Wii is encrypted with console unique key. You can't extract data without the key and can't write anything meaningful.
With the keys.bin? I always back it up.

How would you do this? (Decrypt, flash, etc)

Last edited by AfanGotTheWiiOn26December,

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
With the keys.bin? I always back it up.

How would you do this? (Decrypt, flash, etc)
Can you not make a nand backup at the same time as backing up keys without physically taking it apart?

Edit: hardware flashers are generally only needed for restore operations that can't be done otherwise

Last edited by XFlak,

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Can you not make a nand backup at the same time as backing up keys without physically taking it apart?
Yes, but I said to decrypt with the keys.bin
hardware flashers are generally only needed for restore operations that can't be done otherwise
Yes, but for in case of the low-level bricks. Useless for mail bricks (for example)

ukigh4ie2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Of course. The question is what are you going to get by this? Copy the content from a software-bricked Wii NAND chip to your computer. And then? Without the key it is random garbage. You might as well run
dd if=/dev/random of=~/random.bin bs=1M count=512
I actually meant, to stick with your writing:

dd if=flash_old of=flash_new

There was no mention of decryption. But yes, you still have a messed installation.

Last edited by ukigh4ie2,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That game maybe too violent for your granny tho. Better get Barbies Dream house instead.