Hacking Emulation POPS on PSP/Vita - Config Research

ronniesahlberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hi sir @The_Ho may i ask if my understanding of the procedure is correct... download or create a clean Jackie Chan bin/cue or iso right?... then use PPF patcher...then either used POPS FE or PSX2PSP to convert the game to Eboot right?... sorry but ill be using PSX2PSP to convert the game then add my config inside the eboot...
What is missing in pop-fe that makes you use PSX2PSP ?

Reactions: The_Ho

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What is missing in pop-fe that makes you use PSX2PSP ?
I think I saw him comment once that he prefers to put on his own covers. And in pop fe it didn't work (??). I usually play even without a cover or with the automatic pop fe covers.... But if I'm not mistaken, I've already been able to change the covers in pop fe by clicking on the image and selecting any other one.

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I think I saw him comment once that he prefers to put on his own covers. And in pop fe it didn't work (??). I usually play even without a cover or with the automatic pop fe covers.... But if I'm not mistaken, I've already been able to change the covers in pop fe by clicking on the image and selecting any other one.
I think that pop-fe doesn't let you change the gameboot image. That was the reason I think?

ronniesahlberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I think that pop-fe doesn't let you change the gameboot image. That was the reason I think?
I see. I will try to find time to find a windows machine to create a simple EBOOT with a gameboot image.
With a gameboot image and a eboot that contains it it should not be too hard to figure out what I need to do to inject it.

Do we know the format and requirements for the gameboot image? I assume it has to be PNG. But wht about resolition or mode?

mrjaredbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. I will try to find time to find a windows machine to create a simple EBOOT with a gameboot image.
With a gameboot image and a eboot that contains it it should not be too hard to figure out what I need to do to inject it.

Do we know the format and requirements for the gameboot image? I assume it has to be PNG. But wht about resolition or mode?
I believe it just has to be a 480x272 PNG image, same as PIC1.

Reactions: The_Ho and Webardo

Snowbro88

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It seems that in general Radical Entertainment games are quite problematic on PSP and Vita, in addition to Jackie Chan, another European exclusive game called Bloodlines has very long loading times that I do not consider normal, I did not report this one because it is not a good game.

But now 2 games that actually seem pretty good MTV Snowboarding and MTV Pure Ride are reported in the Excell document on reddit to crash before reaching the home screen, as I play on Vita to avoid complications I tried to play it on PCSX and performance is quite bad, which is why I reported them here to see if a solution can be found through a config for adrenaline, where usually the emulation is perfect in terms of speed.

Thanks partners.

Reactions: The_Ho and Webardo

ronniesahlberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I believe it just has to be a 480x272 PNG image, same as PIC1.
I see.
The logo PNG is appended after the startdat section.
Offset 16 into startdat specifies where the boot PNG starts, default 0x50)
Offset 20 is the length of the boot logo.

I have added support to set boot logo for PSP from the pop-fe command line using --logo
as well as added a file selector box in pop-fe-psp where you can set the logo.

Available in the most recent github action/scratch build

ronniesahlberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hahaha im sorry for that...its just ive been using that for many years to convert PS1 games and comfortable to navigate...im really sorry sir...
That is fine my friend.
I did add a feature just now to make it possible to set the boot-logo image instead of the p.o.p.s standrd one. Some people said this was a feature you wanted, so I added it.
Any features you want/need I can add, within reasons :-)

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
That is fine my friend.
I did add a feature just now to make it possible to set the boot-logo image instead of the p.o.p.s standrd one. Some people said this was a feature you wanted, so I added it.
Any features you want/need I can add, within reasons :-)
oh wow!!! im gonna check your latest version on my free time sir!!! can you share that link sir!!...thank you and appreciated much.. i hope you can also try Danger Girl using PSP...i do feel sometimes walking on your character is slow and cutscenes are sometimes slow pace..though i dont know if its also the same pacing on real PS1 i havent played it because i wasnt able to have a physical cd... thanks sir!!!

ronniesahlberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
oh wow!!! im gonna check your latest version on my free time sir!!! can you share that link sir!!...thank you and appreciated much.. i hope you can also try Danger Girl using PSP...i do feel sometimes walking on your character is slow and cutscenes are sometimes slow pace..though i dont know if its also the same pacing on real PS1 i havent played it because i wasnt able to have a physical cd... thanks sir!!!
Here: https://github.com/sahlberg/pop-fe/actions/runs/8404996529
The link at the bottom of the page. Note that you need to be signed in to github or else the link will not show.

ronniesahlberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
A ppf of the PTBR translation of Chippoke Ralph no Daibouken to make the game pop fe compatible. As always, they make mistakes in the file and pop fe no longer identified the ID. Well, I'll leave it here ;)
Can you link me with the bin/cue files? Or instructions where I can get the translation?
I can match the game based on md5sum worst case.

Or, if you just try to convert it it will print a line of text "MD5SUM ..." That line is all I need and I can match the game.

Last edited by ronniesahlberg,

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Mistake then! Very, very nice job on the PS1 games :mthr:

Thank you, without the contribution of everyone here none of this would have happened.

Can you link me with the bin/cue files? Or instructions where I can get the translation?
I can match the game based on md5sum worst case.

Or, if you just try to convert it it will print a line of text "MD5SUM ..." That line is all I need and I can match the game.

MD5 that pop fe presents to me:

SLPS-01853

MD5: 015f07b3e52befbb72db3ebd60657ffa (When translation applied to a REDUMP image.)

MD5: 86ab07971eb0729ff6d0401078d7ef6a (When translation applied to the image on which the translators were based at the time.)

And the original translation patch is here:
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6864/

Below ppf for Skullmonkeys (USA) SLUS-00601, without this ppf the game will give a black screen on PSP/Vita.

Thank you very much @ronniesahlberg

Attachments

• SLUS-00601.zip
    318 bytes · Views: 6

ronniesahlberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thank you, without the contribution of everyone here none of this would have happened.

SLPS-01853

MD5: 015f07b3e52befbb72db3ebd60657ffa (When translation applied to a REDUMP image.)

MD5: 86ab07971eb0729ff6d0401078d7ef6a (When translation applied to the image on which the translators were based at the time.)

Below ppf for Skullmonkeys (USA) SLUS-00601, without this ppf the game will give a black screen on PSP/Vita.

Added.
Should show up in the next scratch build that is building right now on github.

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines

SLPS-01853

@The_Ho Hi sir!!! ive clicked the link and led me to romhack of little ralph... do we have an english translation for that game sir?... i think this is the JPN only side scroll but hack and slash game...that ive seen on youtube...

Last edited by OPPAI_DAISUKI,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol