Hacking Emulation POPS on PSP/Vita - Config Research

ronniesahlberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Do we know where in the eboot.pbp the config is injected? I'm guessing it's in the "simple" module ("complex" in psx2psp), the prx embedded in the eboot.
I'll be reverse engineering and toying around with the simple.prx module and pops in general to try to get it working on devkits, might as well try to get custom external config while I'm at it.
The config is per disk and is inserted at offset 0x420 (0x20 into block 2) into the PSISOIMG section of the eboot.pbp
https://www.psdevwiki.com/psp/PSISOIMG0000
The first two uint32_t are the version of PSP and for VITA that the configs that follow apply to.

This is where pop-fe injects the psp+vita / ps3 configs into offset 0x20 of block 2 of PSISOIMG
https://github.com/sahlberg/pop-fe/blob/7c0dc31869dcb735d4f4444cf49f0c97b7196d80/popstation.py#L2726
(ps3 configs use a different variable length format)

mrjaredbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do we know where in the eboot.pbp the config is injected? I'm guessing it's in the "simple" module ("complex" in psx2psp), the prx embedded in the eboot.
I'll be reverse engineering and toying around with the simple.prx module and pops in general to try to get it working on devkits, might as well try to get custom external config while I'm at it.

Starting at offset 0x420 in “Section”.

EDIT: Seriously, GBATemp likes to only update the thread after I reply. Did not see Ronnie’s post above.

mrjaredbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was taking a look at T'ai Fu, cmd: 0x04 helps the game to save progress and pass the level in Loadings, I used Val: 0xFB, I managed to go to the first Boss but it then crashed.
Nice find! I tried a good chunk of tests myself but could never make any progress.

It maybe needs something else in tandem with that command, maybe a cmd -1 bit. It crashes mid-game?

Reactions: The_Ho

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The config is per disk and is inserted at offset 0x420 (0x20 into block 2) into the PSISOIMG section of the eboot.pbp
The first two uint32_t are the version of PSP and for VITA that the configs that follow apply to.

This is where pop-fe injects the psp+vita / ps3 configs into offset 0x20 of block 2 of PSISOIMG
https://github.com/sahlberg/pop-fe/blob/7c0dc31869dcb735d4f4444cf49f0c97b7196d80/popstation.py#L2726
(ps3 configs use a different variable length format)
Is this config encrypted? Or is it plain text that can be read from any ps1 eboot?

A little update on the pops4tool project. We were able to run PopsLoader on both testkits and devkits, but there's compatibility differences with retail. On testkits it seems that only pops 3.72 up to 4.01 works, while on devkits we haven't been able to get any pops version to load. I'll leave this development stalled for now. It's a shame we couldn't get PS1 working on devkits, but at least we got testkits working with them. So I guess I'll give this config this a try.

Snowbro88

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I was taking a look at T'ai Fu, cmd: 0x04 helps the game to save progress and pass the level in Loadings, I used Val: 0xFB, I managed to go to the first Boss but it then crashed.
I have in a note on my phone that Taifu Wrath of Tiger works on PSP in version 3.02 of the popsloader, I was never able to verify it because my PSP no longer works correctly but at least for those who play on PSP it will work, it's a shame that Vita doesn't exist way to use popsloader.

Reactions: The_Ho and Webardo

mrjaredbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see what is going on. When I tested, instead of saving after the first level, I would select continue instead. This command somehow fixes the freeze after saving, but not the continue freeze. Potentially timing with the cdr Pause command will need a greater or lesser change than that bit performs.

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I see what is going on. When I tested, instead of saving after the first level, I would select continue instead. This command somehow fixes the freeze after saving, but not the continue freeze. Potentially timing with the cdr Pause command will need a greater or lesser change than that bit performs.
Here, it explains why it may not work. I tried the game last week, and although I was able to go to the fourth level using cmd 0x04 with value 0xE00 (basically enabled all bits 0 to 8), I reset the game and tried again and this time it crashed. Sometimes it crashes if you skip a cutscene after 20 seconds in, other times, when going to load the memory card. Actually, it doesn't even crash, if you wait about 10-15 minutes it'll load eventually, but it's plenty annoying.

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@Snowbro88

So dear friend, I tested pops 3.02 too, it doesn't really seem to have these heavy loads, but the game ends up suffering from severe slowdowns, which ruins the gameplay.

@Webardo @mrjaredbeta

So based on Notaz description, isn't there something we can do? Maybe just a change to the emulator or a miracle ppf?

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@ronniesahlberg
I made the ppf for Jackie Chan Stuntmaster.
It will avoid getting stuck on FMVs by skipping them.

Now just find a Config so you don't need fast reading mode activated to work. I'll try that when I have some time.

Thanks.
=======

EDITED:

Tested and everything seems to work fine, if anyone finds a problem just report it, thanks.

No Slowdown. (Thanks @OPPAI_DAISUKI)
No crashing videos (Unfortunately they still skip)
No need for quick reading mode. (Thanks @Webardo )

Config: Jackie Chan Stuntmaster:

Attachments

• SLUS-00684.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Jackie Chan Stuntmaster.zip
    199 bytes · Views: 6
Last edited by The_Ho,

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
@ronniesahlberg

Now just find a Config so you don't need fast reading mode activated to work. I'll try that when I have some time.

Thanks.
woah woahh woahhh wait sir @The_Ho is this the fix so we can view FMV's now?... also the beginning video?..i already have the config and gave it to you sir @The_Ho ...

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
@ronniesahlberg

Thanks.
Try with command 0x04 set to FB or FE. I think those two worked for games that needed fast speed (Gear Fighter Dendoh and Goemon - Shin Sedai Shuumei respectively).

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Finished guys, the game can be finished 100% with this ppf and this config, I tested it, if there is something random, I will only know in the future lol. But in the only play I did before it ran very well, I just needed to add fast mode with @Webardo's tip.

Unfortunately still no videos, I haven't found a way for them to be played.

Only separately on PSP and VITA.

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
@ronniesahlberg

Thanks.
=======

EDITED:

Tested and everything seems to work fine, if anyone finds a problem just report it, thanks.

im fine with skip videos... AT LEAST they finally working as sometimes when we play games and / or other games with working FMVs we also do press start to skip videos hahahah.... this is a big update for mr. jackie chan's all time legendary and fun game...

ronniesahlberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@ronniesahlberg

Thanks.
=======

EDITED:

added

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
@ronniesahlberg

Thanks.
=======

EDITED:

hi sir @The_Ho may i ask if my understanding of the procedure is correct... download or create a clean Jackie Chan bin/cue or iso right?... then use PPF patcher...then either used POPS FE or PSX2PSP to convert the game to Eboot right?... sorry but ill be using PSX2PSP to convert the game then add my config inside the eboot...

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@OPPAI_DAISUKI

You can use pop-fe, the latest version of GitHub in Actions, it will automatically add ppf and config. In fact, the config I used was your custom config, I played from start to finish with it without any problems and I no longer noticed the previous slowdowns, so I added it, the only thing I added to it was FE at 0x04 so I didn't need fast mode activated.
Post automatically merged:

Thanks

• Love
Reactions: OPPAI_DAISUKI

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
@OPPAI_DAISUKI

You can use pop-fe, the latest version of GitHub in Actions, it will automatically add ppf and config. In fact, the config I used was your custom config, I played from start to finish with it without any problems and I no longer noticed the previous slowdowns, so I added it, the only thing I added to it was FE at 0x04 so I didn't need fast mode activated.
Post automatically merged:

Thanks
oh wow i didnt know FE at 0x04 was a config for Fast Mode..i think also saw that on GT 2 config...alright i might try this tomorrow...its my rest day... thanks sir!!!... by the way have you played Danger Girl on PSP?....it also has some slowdowns...

Last edited by OPPAI_DAISUKI,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye