Hacking Emulation POPS on PSP/Vita - Config Research

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Do we have a reverse engineer of the simple/complex module?
It might be a good idea to have full control over it to be able to do more custom patches.

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Do we have a reverse engineer of the simple/complex module?
It might be a good idea to have full control over it to be able to do more custom patches.
I'm not sure, I believe we've been working with the vanilla settings from sony for each POPS.
You'd be better off asking @mrjaredbeta, who's a lot more knowledgeable on this than me.

I wonder however, would a reverse PopsLoader be doable? I mean, to use Vita's POPS on PSP. Just wanted to know wether something like that could be possible or not, perhaps it's too much of a unnecessary hassle. I give you my thanks beforehand!

Reactions: mrjaredbeta

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I wonder however, would a reverse PopsLoader be doable? I mean, to use Vita's POPS on PSP. Just wanted to know wether something like that could be possible or not, perhaps it's too much of a unnecessary hassle. I give you my thanks beforehand!
It should be possible with lots of patches, it will however be worse than PSP pops, you won't have any audio since SPU emulation is handled by the native Vita ARM cores.

I'm not sure, I believe we've been working with the vanilla settings from sony for each POPS.
You'd be better off asking @mrjaredbeta, who's a lot more knowledgeable on this than me.
I did very minimal RE of simple/complex to make the ARK-X loader (the eboot contains a specially crafted PRX instead of simple/complex), it contains bootstrap code for pops but also some configuration stuff.

The reason we should reverse it is because it would allow us to cook any type of custom patches directly into the eboot. We can patch the game's binary or the pops emulator itself.

mrjaredbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason we should reverse it is because it would allow us to cook any type of custom patches directly into the eboot. We can patch the game's binary or the pops emulator itself.
Well, almost all of the config commands have been reversed and documented by kozarovv here: https://www.psdevwiki.com/psp/POPS

This is how we have been cooking the custom configs that are added automatically to the EBOOT when converted with pop-fe.

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It should be possible with lots of patches, it will however be worse than PSP pops, you won't have any audio since SPU emulation is handled by the native Vita ARM cores.
I see, makes sense seeing as the PSP used (I think?) the ME for sound on POPS, which the Vita lacks.

I did very minimal RE of simple/complex to make the ARK-X loader (the eboot contains a specially crafted PRX instead of simple/complex), it contains bootstrap code for pops but also some configuration stuff.

Say, could you then change POPS' settings from the console only? Just by having the configs in a specified folder you could load them up maybe. This way it wouldn't matter what converter was used for the eboots.

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I see, makes sense seeing as the PSP used (I think?) the ME for sound on POPS, which the Vita lacks.
Indeed, on PSP pops uses ME to emulate sound. When the Vita was released and Team PRO hacked it (and ported over PROCFW in what is now known as ARK), they were able to patch PSP pops to make it work on Vita, and they ported the PEOPS SPU Plugin over to have some sound working. It wasn't perfect but it was the FIRST ever PS1 player on Vita, way before official support was added by Sony (who simply took Team PRO's idea and made their own patched POPS with their own SPU plugin running on Vita side).
It should be possible to do the inverse and load Vita POPS on PSP, but like I said, you'll have sound issues (unless you figure out a way to inject PSP's ME SPU emulator into Vita POPS). Too much work, not enough payback.

Say, could you then change POPS' settings from the console only? Just by having the configs in a specified folder you could load them up maybe. This way it wouldn't matter what converter was used for the eboots.
It should be possible yes, but then you'll be depending on the CFW to implement such feature. The only CFW that is actively developed right now is ARK, even Adrenaline seems to have stopped development. I wouldn't mind implementing this, but I'm not sure if it's the best way to go.

Reactions: Webardo

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Indeed, on PSP pops uses ME to emulate sound. When the Vita was released and Team PRO hacked it (and ported over PROCFW in what is now known as ARK), they were able to patch PSP pops to make it work on Vita, and they ported the PEOPS SPU Plugin over to have some sound working. It wasn't perfect but it was the FIRST ever PS1 player on Vita, way before official support was added by Sony (who simply took Team PRO's idea and made their own patched POPS with their own SPU plugin running on Vita side).
It should be possible to do the inverse and load Vita POPS on PSP, but like I said, you'll have sound issues (unless you figure out a way to inject PSP's ME SPU emulator into Vita POPS). Too much work, not enough payback.
Totally understandable, way too much hassle for minute differences.

It should be possible yes, but then you'll be depending on the CFW to implement such feature. The only CFW that is actively developed right now is ARK, even Adrenaline seems to have stopped development. I wouldn't mind implementing this, but I'm not sure if it's the best way to go.
Of course, there will still be other methods to have your config injected, be it with pop-fe or manually editing an already made eboot with a hex editor. It'd just be another way to have it more accessible for those that are actively using ARK.

Reactions: Jayplay17

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Of course, there will still be other methods to have your config injected, be it with pop-fe or manually editing an already made eboot with a hex editor. It'd just be another way to have it more accessible for those that are actively using ARK.
Do we know the pops function responsible for loading the config? I can hijack it if a custom config file is found and read the config from it.
Post automatically merged:

I've been checking the destruction derby 2 crash. From what I can see using psplink it seems that it converts a pointer to what seems to be a float yet the pointer is unaligned to 4 bytes. Currently trying to find a fix.

Last edited by Acid_Snake,

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Do we know the pops function responsible for loading the config? I can hijack it if a custom config file is found and read the config from it.
I do not know, try to contact kozarovv (https://www.psdevwiki.com/psp/User:Kozarovv), or once again, try asking @mrjaredbeta.

I've been checking the destruction derby 2 crash. From what I can see using psplink it seems that it converts a pointer to what seems to be a float yet the pointer is unaligned to 4 bytes. Currently trying to find a fix.
Nice going there! If you do get it to work there should be no more need for PopsLoader.

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi guys, I think Mortal Kombat Trilogy and Mokey Hero also still depend on PopsLoader.

MKT crashes in the towers and in the tournament giving CDError. Works best on pops 3.52 to 3.72.

Monkey Hero crashes during loading, has sound and graphics problems, works better in pops 3.10, 3.11.

Sorry for the "disappearance tea", I've been feeling a bit unwell and there are COVID problems in the family.

Thanks everyone for the progress.

Snowbro88

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Has anyone tested loading PS1 games through Arc X on Vita?

Does it work exactly like Adrenaline? Could Arc X be compatible with Popsloader?

Do you know if there is any conflict for having adrenaline and the latest ecfw Arc on PS Vita at the same time?

Thank you.

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Does it work exactly like Adrenaline? Could Arc X be compatible with Popsloader?
They both use the same Vita POPS emulator but with different patches, so the end user experience is a bit different, though compatibility should be the same.

Do you know if there is any conflict for having adrenaline and the latest ecfw Arc on PS Vita at the same time?
No they don't conflict at all and can actually be combined into one.

Reactions: Snowbro88

mrjaredbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not too sure.

By the way, PCSX2 has the same exact issue with this game. Maybe that can help the debugging process. We were never able to find a fix for this one. Looking back at my history, this is what I have:
BFC4D988 - function that writes to 0x0000a8c4, value is address used later to overwrite useful data.

the instruction at 0xbfc4d988 stores incorrect address to 0x0000a8c4, which is then loaded later as address to write graphics data to, but is overwriting other stuff at this point

This is all speculation based on debugging from PCSX2. I usually have no idea what I am talking about, but maybe these address will point to something useful.

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
By the way, PCSX2 has the same exact issue with this game. Maybe that can help the debugging process. We were never able to find a fix for this one. Looking back at my history, this is what I have:

This is all speculation based on debugging from PCSX2. I usually have no idea what I am talking about, but maybe these address will point to something useful.
My experience with pops was to exploit it back in the day (I was the first person to ever find a vulnerability in a ps1 game) and what I could tell is that a bug in PS1 code gets translated into a bug in PSP code (+emulator bugs, but pops have very few).
Since PCSX2 also has the bug, then it's probably an emulator issue, but since it only affects this game then it's also possible that the game does something that's "undefined behaviour" or some dirty half-bugged code.

I did some further analysis of the crashes and this is more or less what's happening:
- there's a pointer aligned to 2 bytes
- the pointer is accessed as a 32 bit value
- a float is attempted to be stored in this pointer

There are two types of crashes I can get:
- trying to read a 32 bit word from the unaligned pointer
- trying to store a 32 bit float into the unaligned pointer

Now what's most interesting is the first crash, since it happens in pre-generated/patched code, meaning that the instruction to "store a 32 bit word on a 16 bit aligned pointer" should be 100% what the original ps1 code is doing, it's trying to store a value into a 2-byte aligned pointer.

However the second crash shows that the data that's supposed to be in the pointer is a float.

On PS1 the main CPU doesn't have an FPU, so instead of floats there's only fixed point. I believe the issue is that the emulator is failing to translate a fixed number into a float (and/or viceversa).

ronniesahlberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My experience with pops was to exploit it back in the day (I was the first person to ever find a vulnerability in a ps1 game) and what I could tell is that a bug in PS1 code gets translated into a bug in PSP code (+emulator bugs, but pops have very few).
Since PCSX2 also has the bug, then it's probably an emulator issue, but since it only affects this game then it's also possible that the game does something that's "undefined behaviour" or some dirty half-bugged code.

I did some further analysis of the crashes and this is more or less what's happening:
- there's a pointer aligned to 2 bytes
- the pointer is accessed as a 32 bit value
- a float is attempted to be stored in this pointer

There are two types of crashes I can get:
- trying to read a 32 bit word from the unaligned pointer
- trying to store a 32 bit float into the unaligned pointer

Now what's most interesting is the first crash, since it happens in pre-generated/patched code, meaning that the instruction to "store a 32 bit word on a 16 bit aligned pointer" should be 100% what the original ps1 code is doing, it's trying to store a value into a 2-byte aligned pointer.

However the second crash shows that the data that's supposed to be in the pointer is a float.

On PS1 the main CPU doesn't have an FPU, so instead of floats there's only fixed point. I believe the issue is that the emulator is failing to translate a fixed number into a float (and/or viceversa).
That is odd. What happens on real hardware if you try to read/write a 32 bit register to a 16bit aligned address?

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
That is odd. What happens on real hardware if you try to read/write a 32 bit register to a 16bit aligned address?
A crash (exception) of course. I don't think the game is trying to store a 32 bit value to the pointer, it's probably storing a 16 bit value but the emulator incorrectly identifies the data type. It all smells like some issue with float vs fixed point.

Snowbro88

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello, I would like to report another game that although it works perfectly on adrenaline has the problem that the initial loading is very slow, it is Racingroovy VS, an japanese arcade driving game similar to the first Ridge Racer developed by Sammy, on this occasion I consider that it is a good game, hopefully a config can be found that fixes it.

Thank you.

mrjaredbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I would like to report another game that although it works perfectly on adrenaline has the problem that the initial loading is very slow, it is Racingroovy VS, an japanese arcade driving game similar to the first Ridge Racer developed by Sammy, on this occasion I consider that it is a good game, hopefully a config can be found that fixes it.

Thank you.
I am pretty sure that is just how the game is.

Reactions: Snowbro88

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Not too sure.
Do we know where in the eboot.pbp the config is injected? I'm guessing it's in the "simple" module ("complex" in psx2psp), the prx embedded in the eboot.
I'll be reverse engineering and toying around with the simple.prx module and pops in general to try to get it working on devkits, might as well try to get custom external config while I'm at it.

Reactions: Jayplay17

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: There has to be some mutual agreement with them all anything over $600 is just pc territory