• Wii U

Votes: 417 62.3%

• Total voters

squeakycleanswine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the price, I would argue that the Wii is better to have. But the Wii U does have some pretty cool games, but you as the end user have to decide if the premium price of the Wii U is worth that.

Reactions: Tarmfot

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as i like the wii u i feel like in the future it will be hard to either find replacement parts for a wii u gamepad or just finding working wii u gamepads in general for a decent price.
The Wii U GamePad looked and felt outdated even when it had launched. I didn't like it very much.

Rather preferred using the traditional "Pro" Controller.

Reactions: cvskid

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
why not both?
Well, honestly, outside of easy access to WiiConnect24 stuff via RiiCconnect24, such as the news and weather channels, as well as an actual Wii Message Board, and some Wii homebrew/games being incompatible, (only Wii games that won't work REQUIRE the gamecube ports, which even the RVL-101 doesn't have) the Wii U kind of is both.

Reactions: cvskid and Marc_LFD

SPAC3W4IFU

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna compare them going off of what they can do natively without any hacks, because obviously the Wii U would be much better in that regard.

Between the two in such a case, I'mma go with the Wii, it's much cheaper, has native Gamecube ports (unless you foolishly brought a Family Edition, lol), and between having access to the GCN/WII libraries and the Wii/WiiU libraries, I'll happily take the former.

I also vaguely remember the vWII having somewhat worse image quality compared to a native Wii, but it's been years since I've used either, so don't quote me on that.

Reactions: emcintosh

Katei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Most of the games ultimately didn't make use of the Wii U tablet accordingly, but the option to play a console game in your bed was hella nice

That being said most of the games i liked were on Wii, so i'd have to go with that one

appleburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own both systems, both of which are modded with all the usual amenities.

I choose Wii because:

- 240p output and best-in-class composite output for simply the best emulation on CRT experience I've ever tried. Even outputting from PC with an expensive 240p converter box doesn't look as nice. (Don't @ me for reasons of "but component is better." Most 8/16-bit games were designed for composite.)

- USB hard drives are much less of a hassle.

- GameCube controller ports.

- vWii has been noted to have additional latency with GC games.

- Wii U video settings are absolute ass to deal with.

- The Wii U Pro Controller actually works better in Wii RetroArch than it does in Wii U RetroArch.

- Much less prone to crashes from homebrew.
Yes, especially for the CRT experience! Nothing, nothing beats the CRT experience for SD games for me. Zero input delay, perfect blacks, and it's the experience the format was tailored for.

I love that the Wii U is backwards compatible, but my CRT wii setup is wayyyy more enjoyable. I'm a big baby when it comes to latency, too.

Reactions: ChiefReginod

Rengrow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I had both, until my WiiU's motherboard was burned playing Xenoblade X. I didn't finish it until this day

BOBdotEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overall, I'd go WiiU, as others said, "it does everything!"
It can even improve the look of wii/GC games:
(Exact same record settings used for 480p/1080p comparison: bitrate, filters, gamma,RGB range, capture resolution, device, HDMI cable, capture card, etc)

..But, sometimes I just want to play a gamecube game for an hour or so, and for that I prefer the Wii, (with mayflash hdmi adaptor)
Even with wiiu coldboot hax, I find the wii's, startup speed and ease of simply Plugging in a controller, and clicking a game from a faster booting (simple) menu, much nicer.

It's much faster Rather, simpler, and more nostalgic feeling than dealing with the wiiu's menu's:
Grabbing the GC adaptor from my switch, and waiting for the wiiu to boot, then Tiramisu, then loading a launcher, that has to boot into vWii mode, and then finally showing the game list...
Sure, you could just have it auto boot to Vwii mode, (but then you need a wiimote), or you could auto boot to HBL/hbc, (but this only saves 1-2 step) Injects are nice too! (But they require the gamepad/wiimote and take up space that could be saved for wii/wiiu games.

That and with direct reading, it works with more accessories, and even lets you use real memory cards and disc with all the same cool features, it's Pretty much turned my Real GC into a dedicated GBPlayer! (GBi, 240p, line doubled via rad2x)

But for wii games, the WiiU is king, the injects allow you to replace the uncomfortable (imo) sideways wiimote layout with just using the gamepad. And sure, there are a few games I'd rather play on a real wii for the GC controller support, But for most game the WiiU's improvements are just straight upgrades over the wii!

Last edited by BOBdotEXE,

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overall, I'd go WiiU, as others said, "it does everything!"
It can even improve the look of wii/GC games:
(Exact same record settings used for 480p/1080p comparison: bitrate, filters, gamma,RGB range, capture resolution, device, HDMI cable, capture card, etc)

..But, sometimes I just want to play a gamecube game for an hour or so, and for that I prefer the Wii, (with mayflash hdmi adaptor)
Even with wiiu coldboot hax, I find the wii's, startup speed and ease of simply Plugging in a controller, and clicking a game from a faster booting (simple) menu, much nicer.

It's much faster Rather, simpler, and more nostalgic feeling than dealing with the wiiu's menu's:
Grabbing the GC adaptor from my switch, and waiting for the wiiu to boot, then Tiramisu, then loading a launcher, that has to boot into vWii mode, and then finally showing the game list...
Sure, you could just have it auto boot to Vwii mode, (but then you need a wiimote), or you could auto boot to HBL/hbc, (but this only saves 1-2 step) Injects are nice too! (But they require the gamepad/wiimote and take up space that could be saved for wii/wiiu games.

That and with direct reading, it works with more accessories, and even lets you use real memory cards and disc with all the same cool features, it's Pretty much turned my Real GC into a dedicated GBPlayer! (GBi, 240p, line doubled via rad2x)

But for wii games, the WiiU is king, the injects allow you to replace the uncomfortable (imo) sideways wiimote layout with just using the gamepad. And sure, there are a few games I'd rather play on a real wii for the GC controller support, But for most game the WiiU's improvements are just straight upgrades over the wii!

Nice video. Everything looked fairly comparable until the end, at which point the Wii U looked miles better.

The biggest downside to me is the input latency with GC games on the Wii U, which has been discussed elsewhere on this site. But probably for most games it's not that big a deal. Past 2000 or so, most games stopped being as strict on input timing as they were during the era of analog displays.

squabbled

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the wii u is kind of a 3ds situation where it's totally backwards compatible and has great games from both wii and wii u which it can both play, but it really depends now since wiis are dirt cheap (i got my main one for 20$), and some may just want to play some wii games only and not want to spend the extra buck on the wii u which they may not use, although they get to keep that option to play the library of the wii u
edit: also, you can play gamecube games on some models. i lucked out and got mine with the gamecube compatibility.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
the wii u is kind of a 3ds situation where it's totally backwards compatible and has great games from both wii and wii u which it can both play, but it really depends now since wiis are dirt cheap (i got my main one for 20$), and some may just want to play some wii games only and not want to spend the extra buck on the wii u which they may not use, although they get to keep that option to play the library of the wii u
edit: also, you can play gamecube games on some models. i lucked out and got mine with the gamecube compatibility.
Any Wii U model can play GC games via Nintendont, and even Wiis without the GC ports can also use Nintendont. But if you wanna use a real disc, yeah, the Wii with the ports is the option for you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1826767-REG/apple_mvv83ll_a_11_ipad_pro_wifi.html?sc_src=e...