• Wii U

Votes: 417 62.3%

• Total voters

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently I've been thinking about buying an official component cable for my Wii that I already have and I might just do that since I just want to play GCN/Wii games. However, an HDMI port is a lot more convenient these days.

If you don't have either: Buy a Wii U and you'll have an all in one console with three generations, plus a HDMI port so you don't have to buy a component cable. The white Wii U console set looks really cheap so better to go with the standard black option instead.

The only reason to buy a Wii is if you'd want to spend as little as possible (and yet you'd still have to pay up to own an official component cable so that the image wouldn't look awful on an HDTV).

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Wii U has HDMI and no need for a USB Loader or things like cIOS. It is also able to run all games of all big Nintendo platforms except Switch and 3DS. The only downside is the missing GC controller support in Wii games.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
honestly after having owned both, i prefer my wii plugged in through the retrotink 5x over the wiiu. less input lag on games, less aspect ratio shenanigans. gamecube games through the wii -> rt5x (hdr10 setting on with scanlines) -> 4k oled tv is niiiiice!

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you thinking of buying one or the other?
Depends what you want to do. If your preference is Wii and Gamecube games (I'm assuming you don't care about WiiU games or there wouldn't be a debate) then def go with the Wii for better support of actual gamecube discs on most Wii models as well as ports for the gamecube controllers.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you thinking of buying one or the other?
Depends what you want to do. If your preference is Wii and Gamecube games (I'm assuming you don't care about WiiU games or there wouldn't be a debate) then def go with the Wii for better support of actual gamecube discs on most Wii models as well as ports for the gamecube controllers.
Those are valid points.

However, choosing the Wii means you have to use its genuine component cable unless you'd go with the cheap HDMI adapter (it works, but don't know how good it is compared to the component cable).

And a Memory Card. Speaking of which, I ordered an SD Memory Card from AliExpress and will insert a 4GB SD when it arrives so that'll never run out of space (don't have any other use for that 4GB SD card, anyway).

Reactions: Benja81

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd have to say the Wii. The Wii U is great and all, but the Wii is objectively better at hiding in boxes and being unexpectedly found while cleaning out a closet.
The Wii U probably would be better off if they called it "Wii Pro" since the name Wii U wasn't good at all, even when it was announced.

Wii U console design, looks practically the same as the Wii, except it's larger in length and that's just something I was never a big fan of, neither the "beta" tablet it has. Switch improved that immensely.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are valid points.

However, choosing the Wii means you have to use its genuine component cable unless you'd go with the cheap HDMI adapter (it works, but don't know how good it is compared to the component cable).

And a Memory Card. Speaking of which, I ordered an SD Memory Card from AliExpress and will insert a 4GB SD when it arrives so that'll never run out of space (don't have any other use for that 4GB SD card, anyway).
Good point! Funny enough I thought about the component cable only right after replying, funny how that works (and thats if you're lucky and not using composite, yuck). With compnent you'll at least get the 480p vs 480i, but the TV will do the work of upscaling to the native resolution. With the HDMI adapter it will be doing the upscaling work. So depending what TV you have, for mine one of its strongest features is how good it upscales, so I'd want my TV to do it for sure, but other cases you'd maybe want the adapter.

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
I prefer the wireless 60 tbh.
1668193750865.png

But for real, I'm not a fan of the wii or wii u. I hate motion controls with a burning passion. I have a lot of trouble keeping my arms from drifting around, and my arms get really tired.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I prefer the wireless 60 tbh.
View attachment 336847

But for real, I'm not a fan of the wii or wii u. I hate motion controls with a burning passion. I have a lot of trouble keeping my arms from drifting around, and my arms get really tired.
What about the Vii?

dims-336622559.jpg

Reactions: rvtr

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Likewise. I just use a traditional controller for the games that allow it.

Mario Galaxy makes motion controls fun so at least it's not a chore.

Reactions: rvtr and SylverReZ

Magnus87

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Wii U is an excellent console unfortunately not only the third parties turned their back on Nintendo but also the homebrew community.

On Wii you have native emulators for almost all systems, if you don't like a Launcher, you have several others to try. There are even homebrew games.

However on Wii U if it weren't for the recent release of Aroma/Tiramisu, the console would be completely dead. D:

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wii U is an excellent console unfortunately not only the third parties turned their back on Nintendo but also the homebrew community.

On Wii you have native emulators for almost all systems, if you don't like a Launcher, you have several others to try. There are even homebrew games.

However on Wii U if it weren't for the recent release of Aroma/Tiramisu, the console would be completely dead. D:
I find the Wii to not be accurate with emulation, as many of the emulators for it are very outdated. But the Wii U on the other hand, you can load up RetroArch and play tons of different consoles.

Last edited by SylverReZ,

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I can't think of a good reason to own a mere Wii anymore.
web server, makeshift bat signal via rc24 and emails, can be portablized, not so good media player, (still, it beats WebTV) technically better HD via component cables, (although the Wii U may also do that) kind of a linux machine, good for emulation...
Oh, and the few Wii games that NEED a GameCube port.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol