Votes: 417 62.3%

• Total voters

squabbled

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any Wii U model can play GC games via Nintendont, and even Wiis without the GC ports can also use Nintendont. But if you wanna use a real disc, yeah, the Wii with the ports is the option for you.
yeah, my wii has the gamecube ports. i don't use nintendont but do use riiconnect24 and wiimmfi to use it online still. it's nice to have the option of using a real controller natively without using an adapter or homebrew, and being able to buy games physically off a store shelf and play them on the wii

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

BOBdotEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest downside to me is the input latency with GC games on the Wii U, which has been discussed elsewhere on this site. But probably for most games it's not that big a deal. Past 2000 or so, most games stopped being as strict on input timing as they were during the era of analog displays.
Yup, newer games are less picky, and I'd argue the difference is less noticeable to most people, especially people who started gaming in the ps3/360 era.

So for those that can only get one console, the wiiu should be good enough for most, but a real GC or Wii can still have their advantages for enthusiasts :)

Reactions: ciaomao

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
yeah, my wii has the gamecube ports. i don't use nintendont but do use riiconnect24 and wiimmfi to use it online still. it's nice to have the option of using a real controller natively without using an adapter or homebrew, and being able to buy games physically off a store shelf and play them on the wii
Nintendont does still support the GC ports, if a game you want ends up being hard to buy physically. Plus romhacks/mods n such, but RC24 is also really nice to have

Reactions: squabbled

Chris_Dai_Gyakuten_Saiban

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I personally prefer the Wii because of the games and its native ability to run GC games no problemo, although I could see why someone who has a bit more time could set up Nintendon't for it. Also, it's probably me being biased because I really like the Wii seeing that it was one of my first consoles.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the best of both worlds with my setup.
  • Original Wii stacked on top of Wii U
  • Widescreen modern TV side by side with a CRT TV
  • Wii U hooked up to the modern set, original Wii hooked up to the old one
The original Wii doubles as my emulation box for 8/16-bit games. Is there a more optimal setup than this? :P

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Cemu and dolphin
wrong answer sorry
Post automatically merged:

I have the best of both worlds with my setup.
  • Original Wii stacked on top of Wii U
  • Widescreen modern TV side by side with a CRT TV
  • Wii U hooked up to the modern set, original Wii hooked up to the old one
The original Wii doubles as my emulation box for 8/16-bit games. Is there a more optimal setup than this? :P
Hey! Here's a tip if you ever end up connecting both to the same TV like I did; Just connect the sensor bar to the WIi, and turn on the Wii's standby mode. That way that sensor bar will get power all the time, unless it gets kicked out of standby mode (power outage, wii got moved, etc)

Reactions: cvskid

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Cemu and dolphin
This. Having played Zelda BotW in 4K at better framerates than original hardware, I can't go back.
That being said, the Wii U is a nice jack of all trades when hacked. Plays pretty much any Nintendo console well, and it's probably the best way to play DS games at home.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wii U, since I can use a NORMAL goddamn controller with it - dysfunctional motion controls are, thankfully, minimised and rarely-used, unlike its horrendous casual-pandering predecessor.

I cannot put into words just how utterly frustrating the Wii was to use, let alone play; worst console idea ever. It would've been tolerable had the Classic Controller been used more (like, say, make it a mandatory tertiary option or something, for people who cannot get bullshit motion to work, or who just simply hate the very concept), but it wasn't. Fuck da Wii; Wii U was leaps and bounds better than that massive turd.

Reactions: TatsuHun

susbaconhairman

I am the official skribbler
Trophies
Website
skribbl.io
XP
Country
United States
Honestly suprised to see that more people think the Wii U is better, don't blame em
1667691489425.png

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gonna be honest, given how much fewer games the wii u has over the gc that would interest me the last straw is that the gba link cable doesn't work so no stuff like four sword adventures on wii u. definitely have to go for the wii

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
but a real GC or Wii can still have their advantages for enthusiasts
I have recently dusted off my qoob‘d GC and me once again annoyed with the laser. 3 days later there was a sd2sp2 in the mailbox. quickly reflashed the 20 year old qoob bios and put swiss on the sd. that was Friday. since then the switch is off and the GC runs hot. i KNOW what you mean!

Attachments

• D7129E32-68BD-4CB1-8371-7E885EA850E5.jpeg
    D7129E32-68BD-4CB1-8371-7E885EA850E5.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26

atypicalchaos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wii U - hand down the most fun system I've ever owned. Wii, WiiU and GCN native with gamepad support for all of these (if modded) - many DS games with touchscreen and mic support with many options for TV and handheld display by editing the config for Wii U VC. First system I ever modded and what led me to get an account on this forum. Wii was awesome. Wii U is a pimp Wii so it just wins for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Back when I was playing kakarot I looked up one little guide now all I see is dbz stuff