• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[POLL] Who are/would you vote for United States President?

Who are/would you vote for United States President?

• Hillary Clinton (Democrat)

Votes: 77 24.2%
  • Donald Trump (Republican)

Votes: 127 39.9%
  • Gary Johnson (Libertarian)

Votes: 26 8.2%
  • Jill Stein (Green)

Votes: 21 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 67 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To be honest it makes absolutely no sense in the current situation with the electoral college to vote big 2 unless you are in what is considered a swing state (maybe less than 8% plus in a 4 way poll) or agree the most with the either of them. You actually can do more voting 3rd since there are things that can happen such as getting party status or 5% for federal funding.
It's just 5% of funding Rev, it doesn't matter, you're wasting your vote, right? That money can't be spent on promoting the party and making it grow, resistance is futile, you should just succumb to Clinton-borg Collective or the Trumpian Empire. God, this makes me so pissed off.

Reactions: RevPokemon

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Joe88,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So anyone gonna talk about how clinton "didnt know" that the "C" symbol meant CLASSIFIED on documents even after being a first lady, a senator, and secretary of state?
http://gizmodo.com/hillary-clinton-had-11-blackberrys-while-secretary-of-s-1786108731

She even had blackberries and ipads destroyed, some with hammers before the fbi could seize them.
She thought that's how you play Whack-a-Mole on iOS, you can't blame her. It said to tap at the moles, so she did - no harm done.

What's curious is that somehow she manages to simultaneously play the roles of a wise and experienced politician and an old lady with dementia and no clue what's going on around her when in truth she is neither.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest it makes absolutely no sense in the current situation with the electoral college to vote big 2 unless you are in what is considered a swing state (maybe less than 8% plus in a 4 way poll) or agree the most with the either of them. You actually can do more voting 3rd since there are things that can happen such as getting party status or 5% for federal funding.
First, that would require that one care more about these things than about who wins the election this year. My point was about people who care who wins between the big two.

Second, with regard to your criteria for swing state status, about 20 states this year are within 8 points.

So anyone gonna talk about how clinton "didnt know" that the "C" symbol meant CLASSIFIED on documents even after being a first lady, a senator, and secretary of state?
http://gizmodo.com/hillary-clinton-had-11-blackberrys-while-secretary-of-s-1786108731

She even had blackberries and ipads destroyed, some with hammers before the fbi could seize them.
Clinton did not send or receive emails properly marked as classified. The c you're referring to is an improper marking, and it's in the body of the email. That means one has to open it in order to see that it's classified. Whoops.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, that would require that one care more about these things than about who wins the election this year. My point was about people who care who wins between the big two.
The issue however is that if one really cares who wins the election then it would also depend on the state. Look at DC, it is overwhelmingly Democrat so much so that even if Trump is your preference between the two that voting for him is pointless As he has no shot to win the electoral votes. Same with Clinton in red states. Under the system there is no point to say that if you care who wins you should vote Hillary or Trump if the truth is that your state is going to vote overwhelmingly one way.

Second, with regard to your criteria for swing state status, about 20 states this year are within 8 points.
Well considering my point stands for 30 states than that is ok. Second I think you could even get away with a much lower number depending on the polling methods (6% is safe as or even 5% in a 4 way match).

Reactions: Foxi4

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue however is that if one really cares who wins the election then it would also depend on the state. Look at DC, it is overwhelmingly Democrat so much so that even if Trump is your preference between the two that voting for him is pointless As he has no shot to win the electoral votes. Same with Clinton in red states. Under the system there is no point to say that if you care who wins you should vote Hillary or Trump if the truth is that your state is going to vote overwhelmingly one way.
Yes yes, the electoral college is stupid. Yes, the worth of a person's vote is based very much on which state one lives in. However, that doesn't take away from my argument. A vote for Trump or Hillary is still infinitely more substantial than a vote for Johnson if you care who actually wins, regardless of the state one lives in. If, however, one lives in a deep red/blue state and cares more about, for example, getting the libertarian party funding during the next election cycle rather than who wins the election, then I have no problem. My comments were not addressed to people who don't care who wins the election. In other words, if there's some other tangible thing that you value more than who actually wins the election, my argument is not for you.

Well considering my point stands for 30 states than that is ok. Second I think you could even get away with a much lower number depending on the polling methods (6% is safe as or even 5% in a 4 way match).
Polling is far too volatile right now to make much of a determination regarding which states will be swing states this year. We know which ones will definitely be swing states (e.g. Iowa, North Carolina, Florida, Ohio, and many others), but there are others that are less clear. I actually really like your 8% number, because anything at around 6-8% difference could realistically fall to the 1-3% range by November. A state at 9-10% is unlikely to get very close by November.

Reactions: RevPokemon

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Polling is far too volatile right now to make much of a determination regarding which states will be swing states this year. We know which ones will definitely be swing states (e.g. Iowa, North Carolina, Florida, Ohio, and many others), but there are others that are less clear. I actually really like your 8% number, because anything at around 6-8% difference could realistically fall to the 1-3% range by November. A state at 9-10% is unlikely to get very close by November.
True as we have to wait and see. In terms of how the states are going, well I personally see them growing further apart after the debates which Clinton will most likely do much better in giving her the lead wider and giving 3rd party members more relief that their vote will not be deciding elections. But I do feel if it is around the 6% or 8% about a week before election day then it will stay that way since the amount of people who decide day of is generally low.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In terms of how the states are going, well I personally see them growing further apart after the debates which Clinton will most likely do much better in giving her the lead wider and giving 3rd party members more relief that their vote will not be deciding elections.
I think this is what's most likely, but there will still be plenty of swing states.

But I do feel if it is around the 6% or 8% about a week before election day then it will stay that way since the amount of people who decide day of is generally low.
If a state is 6-8% in November, it's not even close to being a swing state. Today, however, a state could be 5-6% and reasonably become a swing state by November. If one looks at the aggregates today, Missouri and South Carolina are at 5% and 6% respectively (both with Trump leading), but individual polls have shown them within striking distance for Secretary Clinton. It wasn't long ago that Clinton was ahead in Missouri by +5 in one good poll, and the two most recent polls out of South Carolina show a tie.

Last edited by Lacius,

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a state is 6-8% in November, it's not even close to being a swing state. Today, however, a state could be 5-6% and reasonably become a swing state by November. If one looks at the aggregates today, Missouri and South Carolina are at 5% and 6% respectively (both with Trump leading), but individual polls have shown them within striking distance for Secretary Clinton. It wasn't long ago that Clinton was ahead in Missouri by +5 in one good poll, and the two most recent polls out of South Carolina show a tie.
Although I must say that it heavily depends on who is ahead by the 5% or so today. I really do not think that Trump can make it up in time unless there is a big release about her past actions or he kills her in the debates (which I could see bit do not expect it).

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although I must say that it heavily depends on who is ahead by the 5% or so today. I really do not think that Trump can make it up in time unless there is a big release about her past actions or he kills her in the debates (which I could see bit do not expect it).
Debates make the race much less predictable, and it doesn't take much to throw things into chaos. In 2012, Obama went from about +5 nationally to about +1 nationally almost overnight because he came off as low-energy and aloof during the first presidential debate. He spent the rest of the campaign season trying to regain the ground he lost after that debate, and he never fully recovered. He won by a little less than +4.

If Hillary Clinton is perceived to be shrill, bitchy, cold, wonkish, etc. during the debate, Trump can narrow the gap easily. Even if Clinton has a decent debate performance, all Trump needs to do is get off a quick one-liner soundbyte that everyone talks about, and he can narrow the gap easily.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Debates make the race much less predictable, and it doesn't take much to throw things into chaos. In 2012, Obama went from about +5 nationally to about +1 nationally almost overnight because he came off as low-energy and aloof during the first presidential debate. He spent the rest of the campaign season trying to regain the ground he lost after that debate, and he never fully recovered. He won by a little less than +4
Plus it looked alot worse as polling in November had it much narrower at (AFAIK) around 2%. The issue (AFAIK) was they predicted that the amount of voters would slightly favor Romney since the minority vote was relatively low.

If Hillary Clinton is perceived to be shrill, bitchy, cold, wonkish, etc. during the debate, Trump can narrow the gap easily. Even if Clinton has a decent debate performance, all Trump needs to do is get off a quick one-liner soundbyte that everyone talks about, and he can narrow the gap easily.

Basically like the GOP debates. For most of them (not sure if you watched) the others really were better at debating and made better points but Trump got moments that ultimately helped him (I.e. new York values) thanks to the media.

Reactions: Lacius

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would vote for other my other being harambe
OP3DyMRUTrWjUSDgjhYP

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In this country, everyone, even the guilty, has a right to legal representation. If we held lawyers accountable for the crimes of their clients, our justice system would fall apart, and you obviously have no idea how our justice system works.

During this case, which was assigned to Clinton, she hated it, but she finished the job. After the case was over, she requested to never do something like it ever again. This is a non-story that does nothing but demonstrate that Clinton is a competent lawyer who always finishes the job, even when it's difficult and/or unpleasant.

Politicians are disproportionately lawyers for obvious reasons, and I can find cases like this for most of them, because that's how the American justice system works. In fact, in some states, a lawyer can be required by law to defend a client in court if there is a shortage of public defenders. This is not what happened to Hillary Clinton, but it shows another way your argument to demonize someone for his or her client's alleged crimes is absurd.

There's no reason to think Donald Trump actually raped anybody. The closest thing to a legitimate scandal involving rape and Donald Trump that I can think of is, when he was accused of raping one of his wives, that he hired a lawyer who said spousal rape does not exist.

Last edited by Lacius,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no reason to think Donald Trump actually raped anybody. The closest thing to a legitimate scandal involving rape and Donald Trump that I can think of is, when he was accused of raping one of his wives, that he hired a lawyer who said spousal rape does not exist.
I'm aware, I picked that one though because the testimony is very powerful

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As is the video the other guy posted
Agreed.

Although, in all seriousness, there's no reason to doubt the testimony given, especially since she says the encounter was initiated by a known sex offender
We don't believe something because there's no reason to doubt it. We believe something when there's reason to believe the story is true. Bill Clinton has allegedly been accused of rape, but that doesn't mean the story isn't garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: