[Poll] The recent bandage and the highest firmware version you have ever updated to

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by sks316, May 27, 2017.

?

What is the highest firmware version you have ever updated to and are you banned?

1. 11.4.0-37, not banned

50 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. 11.4.0-37, banned

14 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. 11.3.0-36, not banned

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. 11.3.0-36, banned

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  5. 11.2.0-35, not banned

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. 11.2.0-35, banned

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 11.1.0-34, not banned

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 11.1.0-34, banned

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. < 11.0.0-33, not banned

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  10. < 11.0.0-33, banned

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sks316
    OP

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    As @Quantumcat has said:
    This is entirely possible. So now, I pose the question: What is the highest firmware version you have ever updated to and are you banned? (example: I update to 11.4.0-37 and later downgrade to 11.2.0-35. The highest firmware version I have ever updated to is 11.4.0-37.)

Dat-Boi likes this.
  2. sks316
    OP

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    Woops, autocorrect. Ignore title, pls fix it mods. It was supposed to say, banwave, not bandage. :rofl2:

sora10pls and Dat-Boi like this.
  3. Elveman

Elveman B9S Shitpost Race Smogonite

GBAtemp Patron
    Elveman is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 1, 2015
    Russia
    Moscow city
    *watches thread*

Some clarifications need to be made in this theory. Does firm writing happen every time the 3DS is powered on?
    If no (only with the update), can we bypass this by modifying sysUpdater to download updates from Nintendo servers?
    If yes, can we even bypass it (with the help of B9S)?

4. V0ltr0n

V0ltr0n GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    I don't think this is the issue. A9lh/b9s don't stop firm from being written to.

To add to the data being collected here, i'm on 11.4.0-37U with b9s, am not banned and have never downgraded.

"bandage" :D

Also, firm writing does not happen every time you boot. I don't see a reason one would need to block firm writing either, assuming they already have cfw.

Last edited by V0ltr0n, May 27, 2017
  5. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    This isn't the issue. Unbanned console was 11.3, then 11.4, then back down to 11.3 to retain streaming. Banned console, regular updating, I NAND restored on February for a different reason, it had the same firmware anyways.

V0ltr0n likes this.
  6. sks316
    OP

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    I know... Stupid autocorrect.
    Did you check before replying? Is it banned now?
    Don't ask me. @Quantumcat is the one that made the theory. I simply just made the poll.

7. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    It does since 11.3, actually, or so I heard - that's why many N3DS owners bricked by running 11.3 sysnand with Brickway's CFW

But the write protection patches work by just making the "install kernel title to boot partition" do nothing, so doesn't it just claim success?

If active verification code was added in the past updates, it would most likely have been caught in the massive comparison efforts done on 3dbrew on every update...

sks316 likes this.
  8. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Sigh, it's not banned, I'm telling you this isn't an issue.

9. sks316
    OP

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    :| Just answer the poll.

10. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Done, you can see the results yourself, frankly it's a waste of time, I get the need of speculation and trying to grasp a reason, but this is too out there in my opinion.

V0ltr0n and Ryccardo like this.
  11. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I believe the firm writing happens every time the console loads the home menu - hence Gateway users losing a9lh/b9s when booting to sysNAND. Installing updates with sysupdater wouldn't help, the code that does the writing is in the update files. If the theory turns out correct then the probable solution would be to downgrade back to 11.2 and use a new friend code. Then use CTR-httpwn to play online. Unless someone was able to modify the update files. Keep in mind this is only a theory with no evidence yet :-) (except for the huge number of people banned with nothing in common but having CFW).

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That's also true. It's hard to see how they could get such functionality through. We can reverse engineer the updates and see the code, can't we?

Last edited by Quantumcat, May 27, 2017
    sks316 likes this.
  12. Geezerdorf

Geezerdorf Member

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2016
    Mexico
    ヴェラクルス、メキシコ, AKA Hell.
    In theory, it can be done. The persons with the correct equipment can look and see the commands described on all the sysupdates, but they would need to check almost every single line of code (interpreted or otherwise, look into the HEX coding to check ALL the changes that occur when running the sysupdate).

What i'd like to check is if the updates, or something inside the system, "behaves" strangely whenever it touches a NAND that has had installed BS9 or A9lh. I think that there's something people weren't looking at whenever a normal update was done on the system itself.

I really would like to have both, a good sacrifical lamb (3ds/2ds), and really proper knowledge of hacking to actually check it myself. :(

13. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Maybe it's because I've hardly touched my 3DS since the switch came out, but I'm on the latest FW and not banned. I played MH4U the other day online too. My Unit has always "sent info to Nintendo" as well as shown people what I'm playing. I updated to B9S even though I don't really use my 3DS as well. Maybe it's because I keep my 3DS off if I'm not playing it since the times I play are far and wide between.

14. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    My Goat system is always up to date for testing purposes. So it was actually on 11.4 when it got banned.
    Main however is also on 11.4 and not banned

15. Geezerdorf

Geezerdorf Member

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2016
    Mexico
    ヴェラクルス、メキシコ, AKA Hell.
    Yeah. i've been gathering info, and i think it can be narrowed down with some internal insight (given the changes), but unfortunately, neither i have the tools, nor the knowledge to check it myself. I just hope the people that is adept in such are already checking in those same venues.

16. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I've been running tests on my extra 3DS (that I've since just named Goat.) My first tests was leaving Spotpass on with FBI running and online. The system was promptly banned a few hours later. I then unbanned my system and turned off spotpass and repeated the same test. Which has been just leaving the system online with FBI, then swapping over MK7 (since it just gives you an error code the second you try to go online, so it's the fastest game to test on.) Thus far it's been since Friday and Goat has not been banned again. So I am guessing Nintendo is getting their information from Spotpass, although that's purely speculation on my end.

soratheultima likes this.