Homebrew [POLL] Official ports of open source games

Are you interessted in official ports of open source games?

• Yes, I'm interessted and I would also support it on Kickstarter

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Yes, I'm interessted, but I would only support the final products

Votes: 49 60.5%
  • No, I'm not interessted

Votes: 18 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted User

Even if you get it straight from Nintendo, it's still free. The only thing that would cost you is the development hardware, which you wouldn't even need if you have a CFW.
You'd need dev hardware if you were going to publish whatever you develop, though.

Reactions: kristiansja

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@RednaxelaNnamtra :

Your idea is great and it's a bit sad that such projects still didn't happen. But don't expect a serious answer on this forum. I wouldn't make a poll but I would just decide which game to port and ask directly on Kickstarter.
A poll here is not representative cause of many trolls and children here.

I think it is possible I wish you good luck with it :)

RednaxelaNnamtra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@RednaxelaNnamtra :

Your idea is great and it's a bit sad that such projects still didn't happen. But don't expect a serious answer on this forum. I wouldn't make a poll but I would just decide which game to port and ask directly on Kickstarter.
A poll here is not representative cause of many trolls and children here.

I think it is possible I wish you good luck with it :)
Yes, but Its good to get some feedback, if you are ignoring the trolls. The pool for the actual game would also not be here, but I first wanted to have some generell feedback.

You want to finance through kickstarter because you want to make money off other peoples work, or else you would do as any other homebrew developer working on open source projects.
These homebrew ports are most of the time not professional, and homebrew developers are developing in their free time, but I want to do it full-time, so I would need money to get stuff like food.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

homebrewing is a hobby. Cant you just make it for free like every body else who does this as a hobbyand make a donation link like a sane pearson?
Like I wrote in the main post I want to make these ports official and get them on the eshop. I would also like to do multiple ports to see many different engines, so I would need to do it fulltime.

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
homebrewing is a hobby. Cant you just make it for free like every body else who does this as a hobbyand make a donation link like a sane pearson?
It is a little different if using the official sdk; as anything made with it can only 'legally' be released via the eShop (not sure if there's any cost incurred in publishing to the eShop though).

RednaxelaNnamtra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It is a little different if using the official sdk; as anything made with it can only 'legally' be released via the eShop (not sure if there's any cost incurred in publishing to the eShop though).
Not directly, but to be able to publish something, a devkit is needed. Also communication with the original creator, may library creators and nintendo is needed for a project like this.

yoshisman8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A game I would love to see ported would be POWDER (a Rouge like that has been ported to GBA, DS, psp, wii and other consoles as homebrew). I would love to see this flourish, good luck!

Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra
D

Deleted User

It may be a good idea to link some of your work in the OP if you're serious about this. That way, users who don't recognize some of the things you have done (like myself) can get an idea of what you're able to do. From that those who you are asking will be better able to gauge whether or not they would support your projects.

Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

RednaxelaNnamtra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Your best bet would be Patreon, but the idea is bullshit.
But I don't think that it would be enough, because it won't buy time, while Kickstarter could allow me to do it full-time.
Also could you maybe explain why you think its bushit?

It may be a good idea to link some of your work in the OP if you're serious about this. That way, users who don't recognize some of the things you have done (like myself) can get an idea of what you're able to do. From that those who you are asking will be better able to gauge whether or not they would support your projects.
That's a good idea, even if my homebrews were only applications (Free-Multi-Patcher, BootCTR9 and a Pokemon cheatplugin are the only applications I finished to a state, where they are usable and usefull for others ).

Reactions: Deleted User

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so lemme get this right - you intend to finance porting of already open source stuff to pay for YOUR food and equipment, intending on releasing them for free on eshop (which by the way, Nintendo isn't so keen on that - if you don't believe me, simply open up eshop once and browse what's there) using an SDK that effectively disallows you to release any source code? GL with that, I don't think you're going to gather up much support (and even if you do, I don't think nintendo will go for it, for reasons including but not limited to the fact that you're likely in violation of the open source project's TOS, as even if you're not actually selling the content, you'd be profiting from it (free dev kits that can later be sold, anyone?))

Last edited by dubbz82,

RednaxelaNnamtra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
so lemme get this right - you intend to finance porting of already open source stuff to pay for YOUR food and equipment, intending on releasing them for free on eshop (which by the way, Nintendo isn't so keen on that - if you don't believe me, simply open up eshop once and browse what's there) using an SDK that effectively disallows you to release any source code? GL with that, I don't think you're going to gather up much support (and even if you do, I don't think nintendo will go for it, for reasons including but not limited to the fact that you're likely in violation of the open source project's TOS, as even if you're not actually selling the content, you'd be profiting from it (free dev kits that can later be sold, anyone?))
I would not release any thing without the permission of the original creator. And it depends on things like the license if the source needs to be released, but the creator has most of the time the last word, if the license itself doesn't allow something.
Also open source is not the same as, its easy to get it run on any system, so there is still much work needed for porting games to other devices.
And even if there are not much application available for free on the eshop, there are some (for example the ironfall invasion).
The only reason why Nintendo would say no to projects like Teeworlds is the cross platform play on dedicated servers.

RednaxelaNnamtra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't think you should be charging money for this. I could maybe understand if you made the games yourself, but you're just porting them.
the finished port will be free, I will only add something additional like skins, which will allow me to make game porting full-time. The kickstarter would be to allow me to start with the porting and to allow me to buy a devkit, which is needed to be able to release games on the shop.
If there would be many people buying the additional contend, so that its enough for me to be able to do future development and supporting, I will also give some of the money to the original devs.
And like I said, I will only do it, if the devs are allowing me to do it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2: +1