Hacking [POLL] Do You Think .3DS Compatibility Is Worth $65+ ? (IE Buying A Gateway)

Do You Think .3DS Compatibility Is Worth $65+ ?

• Yes, of course! It Being So Much Easier and Faster Makes It Worth It!

Votes: 56 31.3%
  • No, I'd Rather Spend A Little Extra Time Converting To .CIA and Save The Money.

Votes: 123 68.7%

• Total voters
D

Deleted-236924

For n3ds it has some features that cfw lacks such as out Of the box región free and región free dlc and updates.

For o3ds it doesnt make much sense, n3ds its pretty handy. I have been using the gateway since it was out so im happy with the money spent on it although its not much use these days
Especially if you have 8.1J N3DS, haha

Reactions: samiam144

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You can't find all cias on that site ... I tried for ages to find a fantasy life Eur cia, found some downloads but they were on those virus-laden pages. I ended up borrowing the cartridge from a friend, dumping it, and converting it.

I am using CFW now but I am going to keep my GW card in case they break 9.6 encryption and the card is needed to load emuNAND on n3ds.

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a gateway and sky3ds for my 4.5 and 10.3 o3ds systems. I use .cia on my gateway for online games and .3ds for everything else so I do no have to mess with headers.

I could never get cards larger than 32Gb to work so I like being able to have two 32Gb cards which doubles my game capacity.

If I do get another exploitable 3ds it will be CFW all the way. For now though I will stick with what I have because it works.
You have to format the storage type to fat
32 if u want to use 32+ msd on 3ds

upfromtheskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there's only a handful of games you know you will want to play, then you don't need it, but it's worth it if you're planning to try out a lot of games and don't want to constantly go through the hassle of shutting down your 3DS, copying over CIAs, and then waiting even longer for them to install

Reactions: Quantumcat

Xinaman

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The only reason i use gateway is to access eshop and pokemon bank on my n3ds emunand.
On my micro sd card on gateway there is only BBM and FBI, and i put there at the time i was installing rxTools.

PocketCoffee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly, I prefer to just drag and drop without having to convert.... so I'd go for a Gateway... if I had the money :P As it is, I have to use CFW but that's fine enough for my needs anyways.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
fair enough I guess some more obscure games lack dumps. But I don't think it's worth $65.

Well it's really not that hard to convert to cia yourself... Fire up rxtools, generate xorpad, use simple cia converter and that's it. It's not like you'd do it twelve times everyday, is it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For Old3DS, rxTools.
For New3DS, Gateway.
And why is that? I am running rxtools autobooting on my n3ds and it's smooth as butter

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it's really not that hard to convert to cia yourself... Fire up rxtools, generate xorpad, use simple cia converter and that's it. It's not like you'd do it twelve times everyday, is it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And why is that? I am running rxtools autobooting on my n3ds and it's smooth as butter
Because removing the back plate every time to install a .CIA game/DLC can get pretty annoying.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Granted. I don't tighten the screws, that makes it easier. I think the plate holds well enough without the screws. Maybe I'll get a tiny screw driver to go in my 3ds carry bag.

Binebina87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I too got a GW before CFW was a big thing.
I dont regret the 65€ GW price at all. Drag and drop the game on the mSD (maybe use private header) and your good to go.

While cias are nice as well they sure take a lot of time installing (depending on the size of the cia). I usually use cias for only games I know I will play more often.

Furthermore I like that I can switch the Gateway mSD cards without a hassle and have more storage space :-)

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Because removing the back plate every time to install a .CIA game/DLC can get pretty annoying.

I had my back plate removed until I had every single game I wanted on my N3DS installed. And now I have it with the screws removed. But the SD-card placement is not ideal and the built in data transfer which could have negated that whole annoyance, absolute shit.

Also people giving the reason that some obscure game isn't available as a .cia... Just convert it yourself.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a gateway, wich I won't sell, because we got all of our kernel exploits from them. I use CFWs and sometime I modify them a bit, but I still like to support gateway, because they have much time to search for stuff. Normaly its timeconsuming to find exploits, so having a company/team whith the time and money to do it, is good for CFWs too.

Edit:
Maybe something like this should be added to the poll, because none of the answers is fully correct for me, because I preffer to use CIAs and CFW, but I dont mind having spended the money to gateway.

Last edited by RednaxelaNnamtra,

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
.3DS all the way. CIA conversion and installation is a convoluted mess at the moment that takes *ages* to complete and completely messes up your home menu with all those game icons. As soon as we have a tool that automatically decrypts, converts and installs .3DS ROM images in one step (meaning we won't need CIA in the first place anymore) I'll switch, but unless that happens Gateway is just so much more convenient.

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Let me think, which should i select..cfw is free and it has everything except running .3ds. Its a difficult decision, help me.
Why would i pay 65 extra when i have everything free? I dont care if im gonna wait for installation.
I've paid, 12 euro for 32gb sd, sd adapter 9 euro and 15 euro wifi adapter which i needed for palantine but still need for other things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Pikachu used jumper cables it was sadism lol