• Another (Specify)

Votes: 14 10.4%

• Total voters

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Cakes boots N3DS with more functions working properly.
rxTools has bundled decrypting functions for O3DS.

Last edited by MelonGx,

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I use both :)
Cakes for daily normal use
rxTools for xorpads and other stuff Cakes has not.

Why Cakes for normal use?
Booting rxTools is like 9/10 bootrate, Cakes gives me a 10/10 bootrate.
BUT mostly it's just i like both :), that's why i use ctrboot manager :)

Ok, i voted for Cakes, since i use that the most :)

Last edited by DjoeN,
D

Deleted User

ᖇჯ♈ᗢᗢᒪᔕ ℱ☂ᙡ!

Mainly because of it's dev mode.
Also, because of xorpad generation and Title decryption.

I've never looked into cakes before, though; mainly because I'm not using a N3DS.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Exavold

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I use both :)
Cakes for daily normal use
rxTools for xorpads and other stuff Cakes has not.

Why Cakes for normal use?
Booting rxTools is like 9/10 bootrate, Cakes gives me a 10/10 bootrate.
BUT mostly it's just i like both :), that's why i use ctrboot manager :)

Ok, i voted for Cakes, since i use that the most :)

Next Step a CFW in Decrypt9.
@d0k3

(joke xD)

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I never tried Cakes, because I'm happy with rxTools, so I never needed to search for another CFW. I only use rxTools for homebrew development (because I only play DS games with my "clone of a fake R4 SDHC clone"), but I won't change because of the hilarious "Game notes" clock bug that's still present even after a system update :P I mean, what's more hilarious than the clock telling you it's -10:-59, and spazzing out in a 60fps rate? :P

wiiNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using Rxtools for a few days now, and it's working fine. But I wanted to see what Cakes is all about so I installed and tried it on my O3DS. Cakes was up and running, but I could not start a game on my emuNand that was working in Rxtools. So that's where I left it; have not tried to debug what's wrong yet. So I'm sticking with Rxtools for now.

Edit: I got Cakes to work properly now; it works well. I do like RxTools' ability to generate xor files for converting .3ds to .cia.

Last edited by wiiNinja,

Seelbreaker

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Cakes, because setting up rxtools was a nightmare and cakes does everything for me - booting to emunand without signed stuff... only thing needed would be emunand support for the latest verison.

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
Trophies
XP
Country
>Most of the posts are "never tried cakes too lazy used rxtools from the beginning"
>mfw Cakes was released for three whole days before rxTools got official signature patches, and development was started roughly a week before the unofficial sig patches for rxTools were released (at which time b1l1s had a POC I was happily playing around with already).
I actually considered releasing that POC, or some "preview" to build op hype, but I didn't. Mostly because I didn't want the stress. (ask @Apache Thunder if he's still got the first working spider builds, he was the main tester. I still have the POC which only works on MSET 4.x if someone's interested).
EDIT: Just remembered one of the reason I didn't release any preview. the firmware.bin had to be patched manually, and legal stuffs when redistributing it pre-patched. Also, the emuNAND patches had to be edited manually for your emuNAND type.

Last edited by mid-kid,

Suiginou

(null)
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
>Most of the posts are "never tried cakes too lazy used rxtools from the beginning"
>mfw Cakes was released for three whole days before rxTools got official signature patches, and development was started roughly a week before the unofficial sig patches for rxTools were released (at which time b1l1s had a POC I was happily playing around with already).
I actually considered releasing that POC, or some "preview" to build op hype, but I didn't. Mostly because I didn't want the stress. (ask @Apache Thunder if he's still got the first working spider builds, he was the main tester. I still have the POC which only works on MSET 4.x if someone's interested).
EDIT: Just remembered one of the reason I didn't release any preview. the firmware.bin had to be patched manually, and legal stuffs when redistributing it pre-patched. Also, the emuNAND patches had to be edited manually for your emuNAND type.

The early worm gets the bird, man. If you still want to make a name for yourself, why not try dumping the bootroms or breaking the AES key scrambler? Dumping the OTP region on N3DS for 9.6 firmware decryption should also get you some cookies and mad street cred.

Last edited by Suiginou,
Reactions: mid-kid

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am using cakes. It was way easier to set up, rxtools had conflicting and contradicting instructions for installing (specifically how to get firmware.bin, what to name it and where to put it) and would throw me error -4 on boot. cakes "just works" (tm)

Last edited by Localhorst86,

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I still have the test builds he gave me. They are extremely basic with no menu (unless you consider "Press A to continue" a menu. :P ).

Still had to press a button to make it boot though, so there is no auto boot. :P

Also the test builds used a prepatched firm binary. So it wouldn't exactly be legal to distribute either.

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

honyo29

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I actually considered releasing that POC,or some "preview" to build op hype, but I didn't. Mostly because I didn't want the stress.

i think it's not about "since the beginning of cfw development", but "since the beginning of someone trying a cfw" (at least in my case) and it can be anytime, not necessarily on the release timeframe i was aware of all cfw yet i was still using my gateway, some people knew there are cakes n rx and they did't jump rightaway and use pasta, etc. two biggest factor why rx is more popular in my opinion:
- it's usually on the top of front page of this subforum. so people will see it first, naturally, try it first.
- there are people like me who are lazy :P enough not to test every cfw after i find the first one is working and satisfy my need. but still, maybe it's a coincidence i tried rx first, but can't say i won't try rx if i tried cakes first, because rx has xorpad generator. so beside of lazyness, less benefits to try cakes is another factor for me. people who try rx first may not try cakes at all because all they heard was slightly better boot rate and the one they are using now isn't horrible bootrate. but people who try cakes first probably will try rx at some point because of the xorpads, some may jump ship, or still prefer cakes but keep rx on the side.

Last edited by honyo29,

Ericss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The early worm gets the bird, man. If you still want to make a name for yourself, why not try dumping the bootroms or breaking the AES key scrambler? Dumping the OTP region on N3DS for 9.6 firmware decryption should also get you some cookies and mad street cred.
He also could implement support for out of region DLC, which Rx lacks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Worst would be getting a DRM rootkit from using audio CDs and then Sony getting sued.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Least I can throw the nvme at neighbors now
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    get a 2 TB NVMe from amazon, return the fucked one, get replacement and send that one to me
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Easier way buy one with a preadded heatsync pop the heat sync open
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some nerd at Amazon warehouse may tell the end of the colors off
    I'd like a 990 pro tyvm <З
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gen 5s going to be crazy expensive at like 10k transfer
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $300for 2tb
    don't have anything that can take PCIe5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's still m.2 form just the next gen
    ew crucial
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 6tb nvme pc ftw