Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Great news !

So now, I'll play Platinum instead of replay Diamond
smile.gif

I'll provide you my save as soon as I unlock migration (theotherfreakyguy should hack it faster than that
smile.gif
)

theotherfreakygu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let the fanfare play!
Booted up the Pokepatch v3 patched Platinum with ShinyGold in the 3-in-1 NOR, and sure enough, "Migrate from FIRERED" appears. I chose 6 pokemon from the boxes, then started the game and went to Pal Park. All 6 pokemon were there, and I caught them successfully
smile.gif

It works! Good job, cory1492!

Edit: Here is the save file I used. I saved at the Pal Park, where I just imported some pokemon from into box 1.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good news, thanks theotherfreakyguy
smile.gif

edit:/ next day now, got the "proof"/handpatch working for the new method, just need to rewrite the patcher and start working on with other cards now
smile.gif

vvedge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The previous patch (for diamond/pearl) allowed the special apparition when a gba game is inserted. So unless something has been broken when cory updated for platinum (which I doubt), it should work.
So it should be because of one of the reason you mentioned...

By the way, did you patched the gba rom before loading it to NOR ?
I should find the old thread but I think it is required if you use a R4...
I'll try to find it and post back here later

VVedge

Edit: I found this thread about the migration part (by the way, it looks like I was wrong and you shouldn't patch gba game)... maybe you have one of the new 3in1
Do you have the 'migrate from' option that appears in the menu (where you can choose to continue or start a new game) ?
If not, then the gba game is not recognised. If the option appears, then special pokemons should appear

Edit2: in this thread, another user is reporting problem with R4 / EZ3in1 but finally got it to work (presumably with the save mentionned by cory), maybe you could contact him (darkmaster77)

DarkSunDS

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
vvedge said:
The previous patch (for diamond/pearl) allowed the special apparition when a gba game is inserted. So unless something has been broken when cory updated for platinum (which I doubt), it should work.
So it should be because of one of the reason you mentioned...

By the way, did you patched the gba rom before loading it to NOR ?
I should find the old thread but I think it is required if you use a R4...
I'll try to find it and post back here later

VVedg
That would be nice, I've heard of something like that but never found a patch.

Actually, I was looking at a walkthrough and didn't know I had to have the National Dex before being able to find it.

vvedge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
DarkSunDS said:
Actually, I was looking at a walkthrough and didn't know I had to have the National Dex before being able to find it.

Lol, I just thinked about it, that's probably the problem in your case.
The pokepatch allows the nds game to see the gba game on 3in1, then allowing the special apparitions after you got the national pokedex.
Problems are mostly reported when it comes to migration (transfering pokemon from your gba team to your nds save), then you can have 'save corrupted' message but you can check previous threads mentionned for more info about this.

VVedge

Edit: you could also have a look to this thread

vvedge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What do you mean with "dongle" ?

The patch allows the special pokemon apparition when a gba game is inserted in the slot 2.
It also allows the transfer of pokemon from your gba game to your nds game (could be tricky, your save have got to be the right size...).
For this to work your need to have unlocked the national dex.
The patch is made for slot 1 card (not EZ) + EZ 3in1 (first version), but Cory is making progress in trying to make it work with older slot 2 solutions (namely F2A 256 and FAPro/Turbo 256).

deadphan87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vvedge said:
What do you mean with "dongle" ?

The patch allows the special pokemon apparition when a gba game is inserted in the slot 2.
It also allows the transfer of pokemon from your gba game to your nds game (could be tricky, your save have got to be the right size...).
For this to work your need to have unlocked the national dex.
The patch is made for slot 1 card (not EZ) + EZ 3in1 (first version), but Cory is making progress in trying to make it work with older slot 2 solutions (namely F2A 256 and FAPro/Turbo 256).

the dongle system lets you catch certain pokemon from any gen III games when inserted in the ds gba slot. Do you have to have the national dex before you are able to catch pokemon like "Gengar" in the old chateau only when a gen III game is in the gba slot?

vvedge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
deadphan87 said:
the dongle system lets you catch certain pokemon from any gen III games when inserted in the ds gba slot. Do you have to have the national dex before you are able to catch pokemon like "Gengar" in the old chateau only when a gen III game is in the gba slot?

Short answer : yes
smile.gif

darkmaster77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i patch the Diamond Rom with Pokepatch V3 , use a clean Pokemon - Leaf Green Rom and flash to 3 in 1 NOR , then took my save from visualboy advance in 128kb and it work fine , i migrate every pokemon
biggrin.gif
, with the previously pokepatch i can't migrate but with this new version i can .

deadphan87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vvedge said:
deadphan87 said:

Short answer : yes
smile.gif

damn, I did not know that you had to have the national dex before you could be able to catch certain pokemon with a gba game inserted. thanks for clarifying that!

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
theotherfreakyguy: just so you know, I can get the migrate options with your save (it helps to test it at least marginally, especially now that I've seen it work) but it is coming up with the "not the same DS or your changed your time" error I had before.

vvedge: the FAS stuff is complete and working, should be in postable form very shortly - tomorrow if things go right - have to work on stubs (well, the majority of the work/time is going to wind up spent in dealing/pissing about with the linkers, they don't play well with vista64) for at least one or two of the other EZ cards before I release it, but the majority of the work is done and tested.

vvedge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Very nice
smile.gif

I just captured Giratina one hour ago, so I'm left with the pokemon league and then pal park should be unlocked.
Do you still want my game save when I'm done or theotherfreakyguy's one is enough for testing ?

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If your willing to send the save over, great
wink.gif
It's not so pressing after getting the initial confirmation that it works though. I found platinum to be questionably stable on the R4 once patched and have seen grumblings that it's not stable on some cards without any sort of patch at all... let me know though, maybe it was just my DS acting up with snazzy tunes to a black screen when I hit the migrate button.

Pokepatch V4 is out now, adding most of the EZ line (aside from the EZ4's without NOR of course) including EZ I/II/III/IV as well as flash advance/F2Au.

I can say, I was honestly surprised - the EZ clients and linkers gave me absolutely none of the issues I had with them before (knock on wood that it stays that way.)

m2pt5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cory1492 said:
Pokepatch V4 is out now, adding most of the EZ line (aside from the EZ4's without NOR of course) including EZ I/II/III/IV as well as flash advance/F2Au.

I'm using a Cyclo with the latest firmware and a 3in1Pls (that's what ExpLoader calls it) on a DS Lite, and v4 mostly works - it lets me go through the process of choosing six pokemon, and it tries to import them, but when it tries to save to both carts, it corrupts the GBA save and fails to import. (This is with Emerald/Platinum, but I suspect it's more likely to be an issue with the 3in1+.)

vvedge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
cory1492 said:
If your willing to send the save over, great
wink.gif
It's not so pressing after getting the initial confirmation that it works though. I'll send it to you as soon as Migration is unlocked
smile.gif
In fact, I forget there was still another badge to earn before the League. I just got it this morning and am on my way to the league.

QUOTE(cory1492 @ Apr 1 2009, 06:39 PM) Pokepatch V4 is out now, adding most of the EZ line (aside from the EZ4's without NOR of course) including EZ I/II/III/IV as well as flash advance/F2Au.
Nice, I will then be able to also try this myself
smile.gif
Thanks a lot !

I just read the technical note in the readme.txt but I must admit I still don't understand how the same patch could work with different cards (with different bankswitching method), how does it knows which bankswitching method to use (is it what the flash ident response is for ?) ?
Problem surely comes that I don't understand what a 'stub' is !
I first saw this as DLDI, which must be patched according to the card.

...and I'm in the readme.txt too !!! with capital letters for THANKS ! woohoo
smile.gif

Honestly, I just shared my existing save, so that's not so big deal (OK I was ready to replay the whole game from your save, but I finally haven't to)... but I'm happy this led to this great update with more cards supported (In fact, I believe that my biggest contribution was to find that pogoshell contained the bankswitching code for FA and pointing it to you)

Nice job, now I'm gonna hurry to beat this elite four !

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
m2pt5 said:
I'm using a Cyclo with the latest firmware and a 3in1Pls (that's what ExpLoader calls it) on a DS Lite, and v4 mostly works - it lets me go through the process of choosing six pokemon, and it tries to import them, but when it tries to save to both carts, it corrupts the GBA save and fails to import. (This is with Emerald/Platinum, but I suspect it's more likely to be an issue with the 3in1+.)
Unfortunately this is a situation I cannot test, I don't have a plus, don't have a cyclo and don't have a Platinum save that works beyond just opening up migration and telling me I'm using the game in a different DS. If I had to bet though, Cyclo firmware "knows" about 3in1 and does some patching of it's own (in relation to wii - right?) I wouldn't put it past Cyclo to try to patch migration themselves... but I can't completely rule out the memory region I used as not being the culprit either as I did see some black screens (with music, meaning I probably crashed arm9) trying to enter migration approximately 1 in 5 tries.

It'd be really really great if theotherfreakyguy was around to verify this new patch method as working on platinum, it would at least point the finger in the right direction (though if not I'm sure others will get here soon enough.)
QUOTE(vvedge @ Apr 2 2009, 02:55 AM) I just read the technical note in the readme.txt but I must admit I still don't understand how the same patch could work with different cards (with different bankswitching method), how does it knows which bankswitching method to use (is it what the flash ident response is for ?) ?
Problem surely comes that I don't understand what a 'stub' is !
I first saw this as DLDI, which must be patched according to the card.

...and I'm in the readme.txt too !!! with capital letters for THANKS ! woohoo
smile.gif

Honestly, I just shared my existing save, so that's not so big deal (OK I was ready to replay the whole game from your save, but I finally haven't to)... but I'm happy this led to this great update with more cards supported (In fact, I believe that my biggest contribution was to find that pogoshell contained the bankswitching code for FA and pointing it to you)

Nice job, now I'm gonna hurry to beat this elite four !
It is similar to dldi, but not nearly so complicated - there are per cart patches (the bankswitching code) that you select when you patch it, each being it's own 'stub' which is injected into the copy routine. I've found flashcart ident code to be somewhat buggy in that it often locks up other cards... other than that, certain code is shared between some of the EZ series - it's even quite likely the EZ3/4 version would work the same on the 3in1 but the 3in1 code is the most proven so I didn't want to lump it into a new stub.

If you only knew... how bloody protective and obstinate most pokefans are when you ask them for a save file
smile.gif
You deserve the big thanks as a direct contributor - not being able to directly test my code took most of the motivation out of it for me.

m2pt5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured out how to fix the problem, and it was a fix already mentioned in this thread.
blush.gif

After putting the GBA game in NOR, I reset the DS into GBA mode, loaded the saved game then resaved it. Then it worked just fine.

Edit: Also, Pokepatch does not run properly on Windows 7 x64 build 7057. It opens momentarily and closes, leaving a 0 byte file which should be the patch. Luckily I had a 32-bit XP virtual machine set up for other reasons, on which it worked perfectly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.