Pokemon Sword and Shield sell 1.3 million copies in Japan, biggest debut for a Switch title

Pokemon-Sword-and-Shield-Pokedex-1206065.jpg

Pokemon Sword and Shield, like most mainline Pokemon games, have had a very successful first few days of release. The pair of games managed to shift 1,364,544 copies within three days after launch in their home country of Japan, dethroning Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's opening week sales record for the Nintendo Switch. This number includes only physical copies, as Media Create, who tracks Japanese game sales, does not count digital sales. Nintendo Switch hardware saw a boost in sales, as well, reaching 180,000 units sold during the launch window for Sword and Shield.

:arrow: Source

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, not really... Pokemon are games full of fanboys. That's what the sales reflect, from long ago
So your theory is that most Pokemon players are masochists who enjoy tormenting themselves by playing subpar games?

Inb4 it surpasses PS4 sales.
Pretty sure that already happened back in May, lol.

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, not really... Pokemon are games full of fanboys. That's what the sales reflect, from long ago
The game must have a lot of fanboys. It's topping charts even when counted separately as two games.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Despite all the complaints about dexit and last gen graphics - the consensus seems to be it's a fun game - which is really all that matters. The sales reflect that.
It is a fun game. But the entire time you're playing you have this nagging feeling "they could've done more". At least that's how it is for me.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Despite all the complaints about dexit and last gen graphics - the consensus seems to be it's a fun game - which is really all that matters. The sales reflect that.
The sales reflect that its a very popular franchise especially in japan.

But to say really that two games manage to beat sales of one game isnt that impressive really.

Combining two titles, means they managed to shift just above half a million each.

Where as other individual games tend to sell a million.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, i don't buy half assed crap. Probably explains why i haven't touched a Bethesda game in years.

Only way I'm touching this is if it's either gifted to me or I pirate it. Game Freak has stopped caring about its players years ago, too.

Reactions: chartube12

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to mention, the Japanese market was unaware of the lies spread by GameFreak, I think this is a substantial reason as to why this succeeded as such.
How can you say they are "unaware"? Do you think the Japanese gaming market is uninformed for some reason??

The game had a huge opening weekend in the UK as well. Top single plat release this year just counting Sword alone (not even combining sales). Is the UK uninformed?

Got a source on Japanese being numbskulls :P?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can you say they are "unaware"? Do you think the Japanese gaming market is uninformed for some reason??

The game had a huge opening weekend in the UK as well. Top single plat release this year just counting Sword alone (not even combining sales). Is the UK uninformed?

The only reason other m was considered a success, was because it was the only Metroid entry that sold well in Japan. The guy responsible for the Metroid property after Gunpey Yokoi famously ignores criticisms about the game and fails to see why people have such a huge problem with it, still.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason other m was considered a success, was because it was the only Metroid entry that sold well in Japan. The guy responsible for the Metroid property after Gunpey Yokoi famously ignores criticisms about the game and fails to see why people have such a huge problem with it, still.
A game doing poorly in the West and well in Japan simply means different audiences have different tastes.

It doesn't make the Japanese uninformed as Jiehfeng claimed.

Reactions: Pipistrele

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka

Took a while, but found this:

559c5f7.png

Screenshot_2019-11-20-21-20-59-009_com.reddit.frontpage.png

Last edited by Jiehfeng,

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Took a while, but found this:

View attachment 187327
Despite the number of upvotes there - it is a conversation between 2 Twitter users. Highly anecdotal and only being upvoted due to dexit hysteria in the pokemon fan base.

Despite claims all these sales are from pokemon fanboys (by some) - the fanboys seem to be the loudest ones complaining.

Last edited by x65943,

James_

aka Underscore_, or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Was there some kind of "Switch Lite plus Pokemon game" promo?
There is a Pokemon Sw/Sh Switch Lite, and a few stores over here in the UK are bundling Sword or Shield in with the Switch Lite.

Last edited by James_,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well, after a day of pain, i'm gonna catch some zs